Tafe courses (1 Viewer)

itrust

HSC
N/A
I was wondering if i were to not make it into uni, are there are any courses in Tafe that could get me into studying secondary education/teaching, if not, are there any other pathways that could lead to education/teaching?

thank you.

Aquawhite

Retiring
HSC
Uni Grad
I'm quite confident you could get straight into teaching/education course at university. There are lots of different courses and the cut-offs/requirements are quite low and easily achieved as they are national priorities (so the ATAR is a lot lower so more people can get in).

I don't know if there would be many courses at TAFE. You should ring your local tafe.

itrust

HSC
N/A
Not too confident on going directly to uni lol

yeah, planning to have major studies in English.

Is going through child services the only way to study secondary education/teaching??

thanks guys.

blerkles

HSC
N/A
TAFE isn't just an 'easy uni' - it's competency based training (either you know stuff or you don't) and is a good training ground to get you 'skills' - be they trade skills or vocational skills.

There are teacher's aide programs at TAFE but you would have to ask the uni that you want to go to if they will give you any credit (most won't touch a Certificate III).

They also have Cert IV's/Diplomas in Training & Assessment which is what teacher training you need to teach at TAFE (pretty much). Many schools are doing VET integrated courses now (Tourism, Hospitality, VET Info Tech, VET Childcare etc) so having that qualification up your sleeve might a) help you get into uni b) maybe(?) get you a couple of credits for general electives and c) help you when you are ready to start as a secondary teacher if the school does VET related stuff too (the more areas you are qualified in, the more easily employable you are).

See my answer in the other thread about doing Open Uni's though - you could do Literature/Creative Writing/etc with Macq Uni or Griffith Uni (with no entry requirements) then do your Dip Ed afterwards.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)