• Want to help us with this year's BoS Trials?
    Let us know before 30 June. See this thread for details
  • Looking for HSC notes and resources?
    Check out our Notes & Resources page

TAFE Dip in Accounting to b Commerce (1 Viewer)

sharon8h

HSC
Does anyone know: once I complete the Dip at the end of the year, what sort of credit do I receive in the b commerce degree? is it better to finish the Adv Dip before uni , I hear that once i gain the adv dip I have the equivalent of one year uni completed?

also, if I complete the adv dip at tafe, can I really work as an accountant (as the course guide says or is this rubbish?)

Thanks for your help
-Sharon

Studentleader

HSC
N/A
If you wish to study a Bachelor of Commerce at Deakin but do not meet the admission requirements, you may consider undertaking an Advanced Diploma of Accounting (degree stream) at the Holmesglen Institute of TAFE .

In this program, you'll study units from Deakin's Bachelor of Commerce in your first year and be assessed in these units. If you complete the first year of the Advanced Diploma at Holmesglen at a satisfactory level you can then enter the Deakin Bachelor of Commerce with appropriate credit for the Deakin units completed.
This would be pretty uniform amoungst universities I think, probably harder to get into a G8 uni or something. With Curtin university in WA I know that if you do your normal diploma you can get into second year architecture, I'm not sure about commerce though.

You'd need to talk to the university you want to apply to though, it will vary to some extent.

You can work as an accountant but probably doing real small work - if you do end up working for a bank they will pay you alot less just because you lack a Bachelor's degree.

sharon8h

HSC
Thank you. I'll get in touch with UOW (local) and see what they say. I appreciate your reply.

-Sharon

seremify007

HSC
Uni Grad
Does anyone know: once I complete the Dip at the end of the year, what sort of credit do I receive in the b commerce degree? is it better to finish the Adv Dip before uni , I hear that once i gain the adv dip I have the equivalent of one year uni completed?

also, if I complete the adv dip at tafe, can I really work as an accountant (as the course guide says or is this rubbish?)

Thanks for your help
-Sharon
To be honest I think your best bet would be to contact various university (relevant faculty's of course) directly and ask them because I think it will vary from uni to uni. Whilst I don't really have much exposure or knowledge of what you have studied so far, based on my mates who did Accounting at tafe after high school, the focus is far more practical on day to day account keeping and preparing relevant forms/reports rather than the "accounting" they teach at uni which I feel is far more conceptual based (e.g. the issues behind fair value accounting) and designed to get you thinking in a certain manner as opposed to preparing you for an actual job.

Based on the above I'd say you could still work in a normal business as an accountant or accounts clerk, however if you were aspiring to work in a large firm or bank you will most likely need to complete a relevant university degree so that you can later go onto further studies (e.g. CA/CPA).

mb87

HSC
N/A
There are particuluar universities that place you straight onto second year level subjects - bearing in mind selected as mentioned above post. I would suggest nailing your diploma and reaping the maximum qualifications as it provides greater merit for applying for university. Friend of mine did a business diploma and transferred into UNSW - architecture. So it is possible provided you put in the effort.

I know lesser sandstone universities such as UTS, MQ pr UWS give relatively similiar credits to subjects taught at TAFE which most of them would be your first year subjects.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)