• Want to help us with this year's BoS Trials?
    Let us know before 30 June. See this thread for details
  • Looking for HSC notes and resources?
    Check out our Notes & Resources page

TAFE to UNI > Mid-year App offers! HELPPP!! (1 Viewer)

j0506

HSC
Hey there guys,
I've recently applied for the Mid year applications for TAFE students to UNI. A friend of mine in the same class, has the same marks as me, if not worse, but made it in a uni course... which wasn't even his first preference!
But, i didn't get offered anything? And my first pref. was the course he made it into as well!!
Is there anything i could possibly do to get in uni at this stage? I just can't stand TAFE anymore... I want a fresh new start at UNI... Could i possibly email the course advisors, or anyone in charge of the course i wanted to get into about my situation? I am just so determined to get into uni.... anything to get away from my teachers at tafe. lol.

Thanks..

kami

An iron homily
HSC
N/A
secret said:
The only way a University will recornise a TAFE student is with the Tertiary Preparation Certificate, limited UAI (HSC) or a diploma which is not a statement of attainment.

Certificate IVs may also be eligible to use for entry, limited UAI is also not the only form of UAI TAFE offers which is accepted by universities.

To the OT - depending on the university your entrance mark is derived from an average of your UAI and tertiary study (in this case TAFE). If your friend got a noticably higher UAI than yourself then that would explain why he was able to gain entry when you were not.

In the meantime, give this link a look as you may find some suitable alternative pathways into higher education.

kami

An iron homily
HSC
N/A
secret said:
You seem to know alot about the TAFE and so on... How exactly do UAC determine my rank?

Lets just say i manage to get a TES of around 250. And my study history wasn't as good as could be. how exactly would they compare my situation to a UAI cutoff?

I tryed asking UAC, but this is all I get:

Well, how the fuck am I suppose to know what courses I am competitve enough to be concidered for admission?
What I can tell you about the TES, is that they scale your subjects (like with UAI) to generate a score for entry. This is vastly different from the methods used for the other NRSL methods such as Certs, Diplomas and incomplete Bachelors where you can roughly guess your GPA and thus compare it roughly with the rest of the candidature - ie HD avg is teh sex :. top of the range. However with the TES, there is no such luck so unless and until UAC decided to release cut-off books and make scaling tables and what not for the TES then you won't be able to guess how competitive you are with much accuracy.

That said, from what I've been told, the cut-offs with the TES are usually slightly higher than a UA! one so I guess turn your approximated TES in to a percentage and then dock a few points. Its not very accurate but its really the only thing I can think of.

j0506

HSC
Hey there,
I'm currently doing the Diploma of Accounting at TAFE. Currently completed my first year, have half a year left to go, but i just can't stand TAFE life anymore... and really want to head to uni with my friend whose going.
I can say that i did better than him with the results, but his UAI was just slightly higher than me? maybe 2-5 marks higher?

kami

An iron homily
HSC
N/A
j0506 said:
Hey there,
I'm currently doing the Diploma of Accounting at TAFE. Currently completed my first year, have half a year left to go, but i just can't stand TAFE life anymore... and really want to head to uni with my friend whose going.
I can say that i did better than him with the results, but his UAI was just slightly higher than me? maybe 2-5 marks higher?
The UAI maybe what tipped the scales for him.

If you are that determined, then maybe you should take a look and see if that uni offers non-award pathways. Though I would really advise you to finish your Diploma and apply again at the end of the year, as there will be more places available and a finished Diploma contributes more than an unfinished one regarding university entrance.

j0506

HSC
i'm 19 now. :)
but yeah, i guess i'm just going to finish my diploma at tafe... yeah, i wanted the transfer to UNI coz of the environment at tafe... i hate it. lol.
but yeah, i'll try again at the end of the year, i heard, if i finish my diploma, i get more exemptions? so... =/ it's only half a year left!!
thanks everyone!

HSC
kami said:
Certificate IVs may also be eligible to use for entry, limited UAI is also not the only form of UAI TAFE offers which is accepted by universities.

To the OT - depending on the university your entrance mark is derived from an average of your UAI and tertiary study (in this case TAFE). If your friend got a noticably higher UAI than yourself then that would explain why he was able to gain entry when you were not.

In the meantime, give this link a look as you may find some suitable alternative pathways into higher education.
my cousin he does business (human resources) diploma started mid yr this yr, i wanted to help him get into uni and by the end of this yr he'll reach for certificate 4, if he con. next year he'll get a diploma, if he applies for uni this year with a certficate 4, can he still be be eligible to get into uni?

kami

An iron homily
HSC
N/A
CSI: CRIMES ™ said:
my cousin he does business (human resources) diploma started mid yr this yr, i wanted to help him get into uni and by the end of this yr he'll reach for certificate 4, if he con. next year he'll get a diploma, if he applies for uni this year with a certficate 4, can he still be be eligible to get into uni?
He may be eligible, but the competition will be very fierce as a Certificate IV does not 'scale' as high as say a Diploma. It may also be a good idea for your cousin to sit the STAT with his Certificate IV or submit a Personal Statement depending on the uni as that may help.

zzzz

HSC
The other day we were spoken to about TAFE..... Just wondering if you transfer from TAFE to a Uni do you pay CSP or DFEE fees??

klh

HSC
Yes, you do. If you enrol into a CSP place, you have to fill out the relevant forms and give your TFN, if not, you are liable to pay full fee for that course. All uni courses attract a fee for higher education courses. Whether you pay CSP or DFEE depends on the course that you applied to, which should be outlined in the UAC guide where it tells you the course code for the course and which accompanies the abbreviation for fee or c'wealth support.

zzzz

HSC
Cool Thanks!!

I thought you had to pay DFEE fees if you transferred from TAFE. The other day they said its cheaper to go through TAFE and transfer to a uni course, so I was a bit puzzled!

However, if I get an offer for uni ill take it.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)