• Want to help us with this year's BoS Trials?
    Let us know before 30 June. See this thread for details
  • Looking for HSC notes and resources?
    Check out our Notes & Resources page

TAFE to University - HSC Completed within 2012 (1 Viewer)

Gr1ff1n

HSC
Hello all,

It's been awhile since I last lurked these boards and I'm in need of some assistance. Last year I completed my HSC and as a result of an ATAR I wasn't pleased about. I decided to undertake a Diploma within Information Technology which I'm currently completing at a Distinction standard which is the highest at TAFE. Honestly University for 2013 would have been ideal having scored a HSC Mark in the low 90's for Information Processes Technology but I didn't have much luck via UAC due to my ATAR.

Within 2014 I'm looking to undertake a degree within either Information Technology or Computer Science and was curious if I could have some insight into what the most suited University would be on the basis of my background studies etc. Ideally UNSW or UTS would have been on the agenda. But as these require some form of understanding in regards to EX Mathematics I'm starting to think otherwise. With that in mind I did complete General Mathematics (Bad choice I know) and would most likely be looking to undertake Mathematics should it be required via a bridging course or something similar.

I have created a new account via UAC and have paid the $60 or so which was required at the time. At the moment I'm still looking around and will put the desired courses within order over the next few weeks.

Whilst some individuals here might be under the impression that TAFE is an easy path into University. I thought I'd note that I'm a hardworking individual. Whilst this might not have been noted within the ATAR I received at the time. I did have quite a few distractions at the time having done some independent work with staff at Google, Microsoft, Mozilla and Apple to name a few. Which I now realise I shouldn't have been prioritised over my HSC. Bad choice IMHO. More information can be read here and here.

Thanks for your time. My apologies if this is situated within the incorrect section of the forum. :)

Gr1ff1n

HSC
Hi there BOS.

Just an update. I have completed my Diploma of Information Technology and have received all Distinctions which is the highest at TAFE. Also, I have locked in all my preferences via UAC.

How does the selection process vary in comparison to students coming out of Highschool and those that have completed both the HSC and an equivalent secondary study? Are the chances likely that I'll receive a few offers through the necessary rounds?

From my understanding it's that the university designates a certain number of vacancies for TAFE students and other students that have completed alternative studies and sends out the respected offers dependent of the results which they obtained within the course.

I'd warmly appreciate any clarification. :)

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)