• Want to help us with this year's BoS Trials?
    Let us know before 30 June. See this thread for details
  • Looking for HSC notes and resources?
    Check out our Notes & Resources page

TAFE Vs UWS -- Property (1 Viewer)

iamlegend

HSC
N/A
Which one will you choose ? Tafe Vs UWS. I do think I am better in future if I choose to study at UWS. As UWS is providing degree course and TAFE is just providing Adv Diploma course.

But my concern is about the location of UWS campus as the property course is only available at Quakers Hill and I have to drive at least 45 mins for just lectures & tuts, I could do nothing there -- no shops, cafes around. I heard that there are not many students studying in this campus.

TAFE Ultimo -- Campus location is good enough and I could catch trains up there.

But if I have chance to study in Uni and I do not pick it. Then I pick to study TAFE base on this shit reason, am I stupid person ?

What do you guys choose if I am in this situation ?

L

LaraB

The most important question before saying anything else is - what exactly do you want to get out of your study, whichever you should choose? i.e. what kind of jobs do you want to end up with as a result of doing a course?

iamlegend

HSC
N/A
Hi LaraB

Glad to see ur reply.

I would like to look for a job regarding valuation ( eg valuer etc). I am planning to study 1.5 years full time and hope I could get a job at that time. Then I will transfer to distance learning or part time studies. That 's what I plan for the coming 2 years. But not sure it could be on track.

So now I just wonder which school would be the ideal one.

L

LaraB

Best thing to do would be to talk to industry professionals, or if not then aceademics in the field.

I know of a few friends of a sibling who are now in that field who only did the TAFE course and are earning quite good money and are enjoying their work... so it seems that you can do quite well without going to the expense and effort of a uni degree.

Keep in mind that you can always do a TAFE or private course and then once you are in the industry undertake a uni degree if you wish to do so - and in this case, your employer may be willing to fundi t which will make it far easier. Also, you would probably be able to get credit from a TAFE course for at least a few units into a uni course so it's not as though that period of study would be "wasted".

Travelling can make you really hate your studies so if that's a big concern for you, particularly if it hinders you ability to earn an income or anything like that, I'd go with the more convenient one... provided of course that you can get into the industry in the kind of job that you want :)

EDIT: something you could do, if you haven't already done so, would be to read in depth the course handbooks of the respective uni and tafe courses and see what the course actually covers because often course names can be quite misleading or may not satisfy the requirements for industry recognition. If one course doesn't meet the requirements you are seeking, that woudl obviously make the decision a lot easier.

The link for UWS course handbooks is - http://handbook.uws.edu.au/hbook/course_search.asp

Last edited by a moderator:

iamlegend

HSC
N/A
Hi Lara B

Many thanks for your kindly reply and it helps me a lot. You lead me to think differently and I should check the course with some people in this industry. I really appreciate your help.

L

LaraB

iamlegend said:
Hi Lara B

Many thanks for your kindly reply and it helps me a lot. You lead me to think differently and I should check the course with some people in this industry. I really appreciate your help.
Not a problem. Glad to help. Hope it all works out for you :)

amythyst

HSC
did u know the bachelor of business and commerce (property) is also available via distance???

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)