Take two? (1 Viewer)

Zerocannon

HSC
Alright, let's get right to the heart of this thing ;D

I've spent, and I do not kid you, ten hours in grand total of studying for year eleven, plus one extra term in year twelve
An hour for each assessment I've gotten, a couple of minutes of pre-exam revision is all I do.

It's nothing short of a miracle how I actually made it into extension one Mathematicss without learning any of it since Year nine, and I'm actually in Extension Two English, yup, you guessed it. It's not a Top 100 school

It's not all pigs and swine though, we've actually had quite a few 95+'s in this damnation of a school, but eh, individuals reflect not the cohort.

So for my line-up I have
Extension two + one + advanced English
Advanced Mathematics
Chemistry
Japanese Beginners
Biology

I've spent absolutely no time studying biology and I got something like 50/80 for my yearly exam, it's just that easy, but If I really want to get anywhere in the HSC, I'm too late, hey? ;3

Chemistry has always been a struggle, it was something like 34/70, it's quite a good subject but my Sri Lankan teacher taught me only one thing in Year Nine/Ten, and that is to not get into her chemistry class for Year Eleven.

English has been easy for me, here and there but I didn't do so well for my speech assessment, which was 10%, and 13/20 for my damn extension two draft.

Mathematics, I don't even know how to do surds or even trig, I could drop to general maths, I could, but why?.

Japanese is a bliss, I topped it.

I've spent literally no time studying, and I've just recently spent a whole month not doing any work. Term two is in seven days, the times where assessments and exams start rolling in, and then, on death row til term three?

If I'm to go ahead with my already-screwed assessments, I'd produce an UAI probably around the 70s range, to me that'd get me nowhere, really, or anyone anywhere.

So I wondered oh wait, what if I repeat year eleven, and make up for all those subjects? Hell I could even choose physics instead of biology if it's just maths.

Then a few of my friends tell me to go TAFE after HSC and a transfer to uni upon completion and repeating is just wasting a year
I pondered, isn't that the same timeframe? I mean I'm trying to escape this ominous fate of misery selling my poor soul for thirteen or so an hour.. nine to five.. monday to friday.. weekday to weekend.. fifty weeks.. forty odd years.. Transferring from a crappy course at a crappy uni to a better uni with the same course isn't really ... going to do much .. difference .. ehh?

How should I go about this..? It sucks to not graduate with your colleagues but then again.. Everyone's doing a different course and we're all going different universities, we'd scatter, regardless

Tafe? Repeat? Stay with it?

Last edited:

jest

HSC
repeating year 11 wouldn't do much, just keep going. try to motivate yourself more into studying, you could boost up your marks if you do well in the hsc exams, its not just the assessments that count

Zerocannon

HSC
Well, the time to hesitate is through
As much as I'd like to motivate, the damage is done.

Locus got the best of me and my friends have been revising it throughout the
holidays while I was like, chuckling over banal simpson re-runs

I got 2/60 for my maths yearly exam, and isn't general mathematics the same things?

Last edited:

Kujah

HSC
N/A
Should this be in the Prelim forum? :confused:

HSC
Based on your post I say these...

Firstly drop back to general maths, if you dont know surds or trig youre screwed enough already (it doesnt get any easier in adv maths), and you will be able to catch up ok in general maths. Its better to get say 80+ in general maths then failing adv maths miserably...

Secondly, I would advise you drop chemistry...if you have no grasp whatsoever of the first topic get the hell out of there while you still can, it doesnt get any easier and its more memorising and all that too!

If you do this you will have ten units only...but they will be your best ten anyway from the impression im gettin from this post. Work your ass off on these ones, try your hardest to improve...

What UAI do you want?

Zerocannon

HSC
Above 90, which is crazytalk as of right now

Well, chemistry does seem manageable, except things like these freak me out

I just think aaah, maths, my last rights, i demand ye!

Though, If I were to drop one of these, any suggestions?

trace7988

<3 <3
HSC
I was meant to be graduating in 2006, with the rest of my frends..
At the end of year 11, 2005, I was hating school, hardly attending and had no idea how important the final year really was, and having done next to no work all year, i was getting 50's and 60's in my exams..
I had subjects i absolutely hated, and was not in the least bit interested in, as the skool i go only has about 50 ppl in each grade, So all the subjects i wanted to do were in the same lines etc etc.
and not only that.. i wasnt eligable for a UAI becoz i was doing hospitality & photography.. both category B subjex..

So anywhoo... in the first term of year 12 i started panicking and realising how much of a mistake i was making..
I repeated year 11 last year, chose better subjex than the yr before and have found i have been doing much much better bcoz i love the subjex and im working harder coz i had a taste of one term of yr 12, and i know how much it means 2 me 2 do hav 2 do well, and it was like a fresh start for me...

so basicallly repeating yr 11 isnt the best idea unless you want a fresh start and want to do different subjects...
remember that wot u learn in year 12 is seperate from ur prelim studies, but prelim courses do help alot if they are understood fully, as yr 12 work builds off from it...hmm tht prob doesnt make sense but oh well u get me rite..?

bos1234

HSC
im on the same boat.. just keep trying and try and catch up on the work..

o.bi.sess

You feeling lucky, punk?
HSC
Eh. You're in quite a situation, aren't you?

I suppose, if you really want to, you can repeat Year 11 and just start again, but I would only do that if you're sure there's no other way to go.

Incidently, I completely agree with watatank.

I think you should drop back to ten units by dropping chem. If you're that behind in the work, there's no use creating extra pressure for yourself by doing 12 units. Also, dropping down to general maths is not a bad idea if you're struggling with advanced maths. General maths is like a whole new subject when compared to advanced maths.

But, seriously, if you want to do your HSC this year, you need to get your butt into gear. Look at it this way: you suffer through the hard work for one year, get a reasonable UAI and get into the course you want (if that's what you want to do). To put it into perspective, a year isn't that much time to suffer through when you consider how long you've been at school.

You can probably still make up your marks since there's still three terms to go. Just work hard and be optimistic. You can get a lot done in three terms. As cheesy as it sounds, I suppose I'm trying to say don't give up. You need to sit down and have a real good think about what you want to do and then find the best way to work towards that.

Good luck with whatever you choose.

HSC
Zerocannon said:
Above 90, which is crazytalk as of right now

Well, chemistry does seem manageable, except things like these freak me out

I just think aaah, maths, my last rights, i demand ye!

Though, If I were to drop one of these, any suggestions?
I assure you that that requires more understanding of chemistry than maths. I also assure you that all the maths you do is easy. Simple arithmetic. In saying that you definitely need to understand chemistry involved...

As for subject dropping, drop back to general math and drop chem if you really want to drop now...or drop back to general maths and see how you go in chem in the half yearly and then decide? Or keep both and then decide wat to do after the half yearly...

It's not all over yet..but yes you do need to put <some> effort in...

Hope that helps...

Last edited:

hkgirl

HSC
why bother repeating year 11?

nothing of prelim goes towards your hsc right?
it will be a waste of time
if you can motivate yourself to start studying
there's still time to get well to hsc

but drop to general maths
if not that will drag your uai down for sure.

just study, don't think you can fluke year 12 too.
what you put in is what you'll deserve as a uai.

but seriously
since you've picked out what's wrong with your studying pattern & so
then find a solution to it
don't just sit around and hope that magic with fall unto you, it won't.
get up & do something about it! you can do it!
DONT GIVE UP! IT'S NOTTTT TOO LATE :D

goodluck!! :d hope that helped :D

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)