Take UNSW Computing 1 with Richard Buckland online for free, starting soon! (1 Viewer)

skyrockets1530

Member++
HSC
Hi All,

UNSW Computing will be running a university level computing course online for high school students starting on October 15th. It includes lectures from famous lecturer Richard Buckland, goes for 12 weeks and will give you a taste of what it's like to be a developer / software engineer.

Full description is here: https://www.openlearning.com/courses/unsw/computing1

It's free and no computing experience is required but the course will move quickly and promises to be a lot of fun. I'm working with UNSW and Richard to put the course together, feel free to let me know if you have any questions. :)

Thanks

skyrockets1530

Member++
HSC
Italian, Spanish, Dutch and French. That won't be relevant to the Computing course, but I highly recommend taking the course anyway :)

MrBrightside

Brightest Member
HSC
N/A
Italian, Spanish, Dutch and French. That won't be relevant to the Computing course, but I highly recommend taking the course anyway :)
Nice post, and nice mix of backgrounds :D Looks like a basic introduction course to programming. Should be great for any beginners out there.

*I highly recommend trying it out if you're planning to take a degree or do any further study in IT, comp sci, software/comp/telecom/ICT engineering.

SpiralFlex

HSC
N/A
I heard lots of good things about Mr Buckland. I believe he uses the forum.

D94

HSC
N/A
I recommend doing this if you have any remote interest in programming or know a bit about C. Richard is fantastic, very engaging, even via YT! If you intend on doing engineering, it will count towards your degree so I guess that means you'll be doing 1 less course during your time at uni (as in after high school).

skyrockets1530

Member++
HSC
Thanks Mr Brightside, SpiralFlex and D94, it's shaping up to be a really cool course. Richard has some of his older lecturers on youtube but this is the first time you'll be able to do the activities and interact with other people.

Just to clarify, this is a special version of the first year computing course so it probably won't count towards your degree. But if you really enjoy it and do well, then you can contact UNSW COMPUTING and they might be able to do something.

D94

HSC
N/A
Thanks Mr Brightside, SpiralFlex and D94, it's shaping up to be a really cool course. Richard has some of his older lecturers on youtube but this is the first time you'll be able to do the activities and interact with other people.

Just to clarify, this is a special version of the first year computing course so it probably won't count towards your degree. But if you really enjoy it and do well, then you can contact UNSW COMPUTING and they might be able to do something.
Is this the HS1917?

skyrockets1530

Member++
HSC
Nah this is different. HS1917 is the full semester computing 1 course where you have to attend tutorials and labs at UNSW, then take the exam in person at UNSW. This course covers half the content in the same amount of time, so it moves at a slower pace. It's also completely online and anyone can enrol and try it out. If you do well in this online course then you'll be well placed to go on and complete HS1917 / COMP1917 (as it's called at uni).

D94

HSC
N/A
Ah, makes sense now. Yeah, this seems like a good place to begin for those intending on doing computing/engineering degrees, and are somewhat interested in programming.

skyrockets1530

Member++
HSC
Ah, makes sense now. Yeah, this seems like a good place to begin for those intending on doing computing/engineering degrees, and are somewhat interested in programming.
Yea the entire course can be a bit full on (although still exciting). This one will still teach you a lot and have some cool activities but you can do it in 5 hours a week or even at your own pace.

kaz1

et tu
HSC
Uni Grad
Yeah I hear all my CSE friends always saying good things about Richard Buckland. Definetly worth it if you are interested in doing a computer degree.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)