Take UNSW Computing 1 with Richard Buckland online for free, starting soon! (1 Viewer)

skyrockets1530

Member++
HSC
can you join on a date later than october 15th?
Part of the fun of this course is that you are taking it with lots of other people and you'll form a community and help each other. For that to work well, everyone needs to go at reasonably the same pace. If it goes well then we'll look to run it again and more regularly but you can always drop in and do the activities when you have time.

I'd recommend enrolling in it now and then keeping an eye on it until you more time to spend on it.

karnbmx

HSC
Part of the fun of this course is that you are taking it with lots of other people and you'll form a community and help each other. For that to work well, everyone needs to go at reasonably the same pace. If it goes well then we'll look to run it again and more regularly but you can always drop in and do the activities when you have time.

I'd recommend enrolling in it now and then keeping an eye on it until you more time to spend on it.
I am really interested, but I am busy with HSC exams during that time (15th October to 6th November). I understand it is a long time, and a LOT of material would be covered by then, but I would still be willing in getting a head start on a course that I will eventually end up doing in uni (I want to do Engineering next year).

skyrockets1530

Member++
HSC
I am really interested, but I am busy with HSC exams during that time (15th October to 6th November). I understand it is a long time, and a LOT of material would be covered by then, but I would still be willing in getting a head start on a course that I will eventually end up doing in uni (I want to do Engineering next year).
Cool, obviously the HSC is the thing to focus on. There is no requirement that you have to finish it at the same time as everyone else and you'll be able to access the course long after everyone else has finished.

So you could actually enrol and just start when you finish the HSC - so it might take you 12 weeks from Nov 6th instead of from October 15. It's pretty flexible, being free and online and all :)

Demise

HSC
Something I'm really interested in. People were saying that this means you don't enter a course next year if you finish this, is that true?

Also, funnily enough I'm also doing the free Harvard Intro to Comp Sci over the holidays, same with this. Hopefully it'll give me a boost for next year.

atar90plus

01000101=YES! YES! YES!
HSC
Will there be an opportunity like this in 2014 because right now I want to concerntrate on my HSC.

atar90plus

01000101=YES! YES! YES!
HSC
A good idea for this is should be receiving a certificate of completion after finishing this course so people can put it in their profile or list it an an experience

skyrockets1530

Member++
HSC
Something I'm really interested in. People were saying that this means you don't enter a course next year if you finish this, is that true?
The course they are thinking of is called HS1917 where UNSW offers the first computer course to high school students. That course requires you to show up to weekly tutorials at UNSW and take the exams with the rest of the university students.

This course is different in that it is entirely online and does not cover the same content (only half the content). So if you take this course you'll have a bit of a jump start on next year but you wouldn't have learned enough to skip the actual course when you start university.

skyrockets1530

Member++
HSC
A good idea for this is should be receiving a certificate of completion after finishing this course so people can put it in their profile or list it an an experience
The course will appear on your OpenLearning profile and you'll earn some awesome looking badges. Other than that you won't receive a certificate but you might want to consider a UNSW Computing degree if you really enjoy :)

SoresuMakashi

HSC
Hah, I was at Richard's lecture at UNSW. He seemed really passionate. My favourite lecture out of all the Open Days I went to.

That said, I already program, so I'll have to decline this one.

Also, October 15 is the start of the HSC. Smart.

nifkeh

HSC
Nah this is different. HS1917 is the full semester computing 1 course where you have to attend tutorials and labs at UNSW, then take the exam in person at UNSW. This course covers half the content in the same amount of time, so it moves at a slower pace. It's also completely online and anyone can enrol and try it out. If you do well in this online course then you'll be well placed to go on and complete HS1917 / COMP1917 (as it's called at uni).
lol I should have done this one, I did HS1917 this year and I kind of died haha

nifkeh

HSC
The course they are thinking of is called HS1917 where UNSW offers the first computer course to high school students. That course requires you to show up to weekly tutorials at UNSW and take the exams with the rest of the university students.

This course is different in that it is entirely online and does not cover the same content (only half the content). So if you take this course you'll have a bit of a jump start on next year but you wouldn't have learned enough to skip the actual course when you start university.

wouldn't this course be similar to COMP1911 then? :) except without the exam and tutes and stuff

nifkeh

HSC
Hah, I was at Richard's lecture at UNSW. He seemed really passionate. My favourite lecture out of all the Open Days I went to.

That said, I already program, so I'll have to decline this one.

Also, October 15 is the start of the HSC. Smart.
Richard is a really friendly, funny and down to earth guy, I really enjoyed his lectures :) Since you have programmed before you might want to give HS1917 a shot, it's easy at first, but the end of the course gets a bit challenging (I found it quite difficult and I'm a new programmer). Plus you do it at the same level & pace as the uni students, so you do the same exam, both use the same resources/wiki and go to the tutes and lectures. If you want to venture into OOP, this course is pretty interesting and definitely challenging, you learn C in this course

Demise

HSC
Richard is a really friendly, funny and down to earth guy, I really enjoyed his lectures :) Since you have programmed before you might want to give HS1917 a shot, it's easy at first, but the end of the course gets a bit challenging (I found it quite difficult and I'm a new programmer). Plus you do it at the same level & pace as the uni students, so you do the same exam, both use the same resources/wiki and go to the tutes and lectures. If you want to venture into OOP, this course is pretty interesting and definitely challenging, you learn C in this course
If we're covering C, then I'm definitely doing it. Post-HSC I'm touching up my web-development skills by improving my PHP/Sql programming knowledge and hopefully covering some Ruby. Doing C would be pretty awesome alongside my other languages, since it'll let me have a less-steeper learning curve for Java. Cheers mate!

skyrockets1530

Member++
HSC
If we're covering C, then I'm definitely doing it. Post-HSC I'm touching up my web-development skills by improving my PHP/Sql programming knowledge and hopefully covering some Ruby. Doing C would be pretty awesome alongside my other languages, since it'll let me have a less-steeper learning curve for Java. Cheers mate!
It does cover C quite a bit along with some of the main concepts in software engineering that you would need to understand for many other languages. The course has just started however you can still enrol and go through the activities at your own pace.

Enrol for a few more days here: https://www.openlearning.com/courses/unsw/computing1

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)