Taking more than 24 units per semester? (1 Viewer)

Gauss

HSC
N/A
Hey, going to anu, want to major in both pure mathematics and theoretical physics, yet when i look at third year subject options i will fill up everything in pure mathematics alone. Is it possible (If you do well enough) to take 5 or even 6 subjects per semester? I know it is not adviseable, but i think i can handle it (got high 90s in 4unit math without more than a couple of hours of study). Who do you speak to about doing this?

Also is it possible to skip first year maths/physics courses if I can already handle calculus, linear algebra etc? Over the summer i have been reading a real analysis text (which is more rigorous calculus for those non mathematicians) (the text was Rudin) and it is notoriously difficult, but i found it managable. Sadly this is all my own interest and i have not got any credit from pre university studies, so is it possible for me to take a diagnostic test to test out of first/second year calculus, linear algebra?

Last edited:

viva_la_albert

HSC
If you're taking the PhB I hear you can skip first year classes in certain areas but why though? You'll earn easy marks if you do well in first year which opens up heaps of opportunities and scholarships. You could probably take 5 or 6 subjects if your timetable would allow it, probably contact ANU at PEA day.

See you at ANU!

mnmaa

HSC
N/A
If you're taking the PhB I hear you can skip first year classes in certain areas but why though? You'll earn easy marks if you do well in first year which opens up heaps of opportunities and scholarships. You could probably take 5 or 6 subjects if your timetable would allow it, probably contact ANU at PEA day.

See you at ANU!
Yes it would certainly depend on what degree your studying. If your doing the PhB than maybe, but for Bachelor of science and bachelor of science(advanced)(honours) no chance. But as Albert said what's the point?

Davo1111

HSC
N/A
You won't be able to overload in first sem, probably one extra subject in 2nd, assuming you get marks. You'd have to be some type of god (almost perfect marks in everything) to be even considered for a 2 class overload.

EvangelionZeta

HSC
I had a first year friend who overloaded first semester (somewhat sneakily, though...), and I overloaded second semester. To be honest, I don't think six is THAT over the top if you manage it wisely; second semester I did two productions and a whole bunch of other stuff, did a subject which was pretty much two subjects' worth of work (final essay ended up being 10,000 words), and I still had a fair bit of spare time... There's definitely been people who have done six subjects a semester in the past, too, although they were PhB.

Chazure

HSC
Uni Grad
Wait let me get this right.

There have been PhB students who took 6 subjects in one semester and achieved a HD average across all of them?!??!

Please tell me the secret to achieving this lol.

mnmaa

HSC
N/A
Wait let me get this right.

There have been PhB students who took 6 subjects in one semester and achieved a HD average across all of them?!??!

Please tell me the secret to achieving this lol.
being a genius-there is a reason the cut-off is 99+ :awesome:

chillwave

HSC
Hold up there, OP. You do realise that there is more to uni than class?

If you have spare time, it should be filled up with extra-curriculars. Do you play sport? An instrument? Act? Like volunteering?
The list is endless. You'll have a lot more fun at uni if you get involved.

And how are you going to support yourself at ANU? Most students work 15-20 hours a week during semester. This has to fit in too.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)