Taking notes (1 Viewer)

Kaidee

HSC
What is the main form of taking notes in lectures used by students? And do many use laptops?

jumb

mr jumb
HSC
I just take a lecture book and take notes on things I need to remember. If I have the slides or lecture notes printed out I just write all along the margins.

It really depends on your personal preference and on how difficult the course is. For some courses, I find the provided lecture notes and text books to be enough.

I personally don't have a laptop, as I know I would have no self control and would instead (like 90% of students) use it to play games during lectures. I seriously don't recommend taking one, there's no point lugging around something you wont use and the computer facilities are really quite good.

Kaidee

HSC
Will the lecture notes/slides be available online before the lecture? If they are will they be on the blackboard thing?
And just a quick question about those who do take notes in lectures on their computer, do they just type into a word document or what do they do?
I am considering taking a laptop, it seems easier, I tend to lose books etc, really easily. And I won't get distracted by games etc, because I have no games on my laptop :p

Also I am doing a b of science majoring in psych, so does that help answer my questions better? Would it be easy to take notes on a laptop?

sam5

HSC
dont be such a bitch

how the fuck do u expect me to know? i just finished school last year, just like u.

i just said that to imply that i dont know the answer, and that id like someone else to help give the answer

Kelly47

HSC
In most cases the lectures will be online (on Blackboard) before the lecture. But to be honest, it really depends on the lecturer. I had one last semester who refused to put them up before hand to encourage students to turn up to lectures (which didn't help by the way).

But generally yes they will be.

sam5

HSC
just in case u cant make it to a lecture, can the notes be an effective substitute (with additional work and textbook reading) for a lecture?

Kelly47

HSC
That would depend on the course I think. In most cases the lecture notes are quite useful, but a lot of the time the lecturer will go into detail or explain further the topics covered (or even not covered) on the slides. It's better to go to the lectures than to risk it.
Though I admit, I didn't go to a single lecture for my PSYC1030 course last semester and almost managed a distinction overall.
I think you will work out for yourself how helpful the online lecture notes are after a few weeks of attending.

emiliieee

Batman.
HSC
use a tape recorder.

think about it, are you really able to write down everything the guy says in time? by the time you finish one sentence you'll probably forget. then you're probably trying to remember what he says but can't and you then miss out on other notes.

whereas the tape, you can play it over and over whenever you need to.

zaxmacks

HSC
use a tape recorder.

think about it, are you really able to write down everything the guy says in time? by the time you finish one sentence you'll probably forget. then you're probably trying to remember what he says but can't and you then miss out on other notes.

whereas the tape, you can play it over and over whenever you need to.
I thought they record the audio for most lectures anyway?

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)