Talented Student Day (1 Viewer)

tina_goes_doo

Pharmer in Training
HSC
Yeah i'm going. I'm from Merewether High at Newcastle.

UTS is basically in the city near Chinatown. One of the best features of UTS!

:: ck ::

Actuarial Boy
HSC
yeah im going...! woot

shall be fun! =D
crap i dun evn kno which uts campus its in..

thx tina

McLake

The Perfect Nerd
HSC
UTS is right near Central Station if you are going to the "main" bit of the campus. Just follow the signs ...

skazmonger

Crunch!
HSC
*checks sheet*

Session A: "Gentle eddies, the Great Red Spot and the myth of the bathtub vortex"
Session B: "Oceans, Climate, Weather and Maths"
Session C: Circular and Resisted Motion, it's the one we haven't done yet.

Dammit, the Japanese codebreaking one sounded cool!

I'm sure I'll see you all there, I just won't know who any of you are.

edd91

HSC
hey what time is the first session? anyone got a timetable

:: ck ::

Actuarial Boy
HSC
meh i dun even kno wtf i chose
a - husbands wives pigeons and holes or sth..
b - probability of god
c - volumes

argh.. i wish i cud change my prefs... are we allowed to sneak into a different lecture thingy

edd91

HSC
Have you got a list of all the topics on? like a complete timetable, I dont think I want to goto some of my choices so id like to see what else there is and try to change tomorrow

skazmonger

Crunch!
HSC
Well, I *thought* I did... can't find it at the moment - my room's a total wreck at the moment... wierd, I'll sweat I was looking at it only a few days ago.

From memory, and my second and third choices... apart from what im doing

Sesion A:
groups and quantum mechanics
can mathematics help us understand the brain?
something about pigeon holes
golden ratio?

Session B:
knots tangles and... fractions?
japanese code breaking...
something about God?

Session C:
theres one for every topic bar harder 3 unit.

If you want to swap, go early... i cant imagine they'd be thrilled with the idea.

ill have a sniff around for ya - so bored... no exams to worry about until monday!

Edit: gotta be in the "Great Hall" level 5, seated by 9:20

edd91

HSC
Why do they have weird names? I thought they were actually going to talk about the topics? It looks like it will be outside the syllabus?

underthesun

N1NJ4
HSC
edd91 said:
Why do they have weird names? I thought they were actually going to talk about the topics? It looks like it will be outside the syllabus?
only the last one will be on syllabus, more accurately the 4u syllabus..

the first two lectures are just interesting stuff. interesting if you get the interesting people. boring otherwise.. the gambling one last year completely sucked.

btw might I add that the most useful thing you'll end up with is the notes from the last sessions.. so make sure you spread around as to being able to get notes off different lecturers. I actually ran to another lecture that I didn't attend asking for notes, and lucky i got one. But it was crappy notes, with no solutions :S.

edd91

HSC
oh ok, what time is session C, because I might stay at school so I dont miss stuff until then

xiao1985

HSC
N/A
LOLZ... i was wondering how come a group of high school students are wonderin around uts 2day =p

talented student day... uhm i recall goin to that last year, but i was at usyd??? @@

Grey Council

Legend
HSC
no, he was not.

our school didn't go for the first time in years.
i'm so damn pissed off.
@_@

oh, and our principle didn't post that up on the net, that's our weekly school newsletter.

personally, I reckon the Principle could have done more. he makes a big fuss when our 1st grade rugby team doesn't lose a match, or JUST loses, but heck, a guy gets a berloody GOLD medal in an INTERNATIONAL competition, and look what he says.
but then again, I don't really like him all that much.

and tywebb, will they be posting up stuff BEFORE our hsc? or after.
and doesn't buchanan's site have enough already anyway? Or are you talking about resources other than trial papers.

Last edited:

CrashOveride

HSC
SpoRTsGaL said:
one of the mistakes some third year students make???
Apparently the way a commerce teacher was teaching it.

btw was Buchanan there? saw a guy there looked liked his avatar.

Why are 2004 trials so important? They will be released after we do our own trials. So unless you want to use them for HSC study, but i thought past papers would suffice there.

Grey Council

Legend
HSC
tywebb said:
oh. so you didn't go either hey? is your principal being anti-maths and pro-sport because he's bowing down to political pressure from the likes of marcus einfeld and sbhs old-boys union, etc., anti-asian hanson-voting white-trash shit-heads? or is he just plain stupid?

i think the 2004 trials from schools will appear here on boredofstudies well before the hsc. i don't know if there's enough on the net already. what happens when stuff gets deleted, like neap stuff? what can we replace that with that won't get anyone into trouble, like sued for breach of copyright, or somefin...?
Yup, I didn't go either. Ivan's in my class, so i'm fairly sure he didn't go...unless he sneaked out. Hrm, which is unlikely.

and I dunno bout my principle. You'll notice, when our old principle (Mr Stratford) was still here, we were ranked top 5. As soon as Jagger came in, we dropped.
Now, I realise this might be a bit unfair to him, as it might have nothing to do with our principle, but I still don't like him for various reasons, primarily cause he is too pro-sport.

2004 trials, fair enough. I'd just like to request that solutions be posted up as well.

Cause 150ish trials on Buchanan's site are more than enough for anyone, imho. I mean, if you do 40 trial papers pre-hsc, and learn how to do every single question in them, then you can be assured a 95+ mark. I think.
Only problem is, like Spice Girl said, "doing maths papers and never checking answers".
Which you can't do without solutions. :)

and I dunno about maths (they do this in business studies trials), but like Tywebb predicted what will be in the test paper this year, other schools might predict too. :) Number theory, anyone?
oh, and, didn't grammar do something dodgy in one of their papers last year? So if someone tries that this year, we can make use of it. ^_^

thats what I'm guessing anyway

Last edited:

CrashOveride

HSC
Whats Buchanans site? Do they have solutions up there?

I cant go looking for buchan's posts (i know his site is on there) im capped and loading any of these pages takes like 5min

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)