talented students program (1 Viewer)

Saul

*ss
HSC
i just got invited into this thing. now so far what i've heard about it has been very vague, like, students may attend seminars, may do extra work, may do accelerated units... does anybody know on what basis different students within the program do different things?

Mambomeg

yay! custom!!!
HSC
all i know is that the TSP chem students i met were uber uber nerds, like they wanted to spend the rest of their lives in chemistry labs. weird. oh well, i guess someone has to do it.

BlackJack

Vertigo!
HSC
Lol, what!? :haha::lol: Who did you meet?
(no... : haha : is gone...)

Okay, I don't quite understand you, but... the tSP (no, many of us are not that talented) works like this:

First thing. You get assigned by the mentor (you prob already know this) in a school/field based on what you picked on the response letter.

There are two things you can do. The faculty offers activities in many schools, or a faculty-wide activity that ou can participate in.
eg. Physics has a TSP program in 2nd sem, which offers different research project you partake as a pair of students plus staff. This replaces some of your lab.
1st semester last year had a salinity project with activities in different schools.
The program is normally based on students picking what they want, and then groups are organised accordingly. The staff in charge then tells you what the problem is, or what you need to do, and you go about brainstorming and reading, etc.

The other way is to go to your mentor and talk about what you want to do. You can actually do a program on your own with staff assistance, or maybe join with some willing staff on what they're doing.

Most of these you spend extra time working on. Everybody picks what they want, or indeed doesn't pick anything for the time being, and go about their business.

Last edited:

Mambomeg

yay! custom!!!
HSC
I met this guy in advanced chem who had long hair and was one of those annoying ppl who always asks questions in lectures and then tries to argue with the lecturer.
Grr, i just wanted to punch him.
Note to all - i am sure most of the TSP people are very nice, but some are just plain weird

walla

Satisfied Customer
HSC
hmmm i didn't get invited to the tsp cause i am doing combined law...so i didn't specify science. now that i'm enrolled, how do i get in?

Saul

*ss
HSC
same thing happened to a friend of mine... you can request it somehow

walla

Satisfied Customer
HSC
cool yeah i'm sure its not unheard of, i'll just ask a lecturer or something.

hey Saul, I'm in the TSP as well. I'm so excited about it! I reckon it'll make uni much more interesting than it would've been. I've no idea really what we'll be doing, but I guess you can't know until you've talked to your mentor and stuff. What are your areas of interest?
I guess I'll be meeting you in orientation week. Are you doing the Advanced Science course?

Saul

*ss
HSC
im doing BSc (molecular biology and genetics) so i obviously have my interests in those two areas - it is an advanced degree though

i talked to the chem guy at usyd. they said that u just go in as advanced chem. and then if u got uai > 98.something and chem >90. u gt some letter from them thats meant to be an invite. i havent gotten one (im going combined law)
so i dunno wahts the deal with that.

he said (i think) that it doestn really matter if it combined law or not. coz its as thought were doing just science to them.

xiao1985

HSC
N/A
Originally posted by worlds greatest
and then if u got uai > 98.something and chem >90. u gt some letter from them thats meant to be an invite.
hey!!! i got uai >98 chem > 90 (well almost, cmon, 90 is >90 isn't it??)

but i didn't get invited!!! ='( *sobz* i wanna do tsp!!!

walla

Satisfied Customer
HSC
that's for special studies chem, which is different to the tsp. you get invited into special studies courses in the first week or two of lectures so don't fret!

xiao1985

HSC
N/A
Originally posted by Saul
you need above 98.8
='( sobz*

alryte... *goes bak to xiao's high school*

"can i do teh hsc again??"

Saul

*ss
HSC
that's not a definite mark, you can get around it. but to do so, you need to have done olympiads and shit (i think)

Originally posted by crackerj
In 1st year Chem, there's no actually TSP chem but it's called 'SSP'... and people, in my opinion, are quite nice...
i just assumed tsp=ssp = special studies program

also i think he means uai 98.8, not chem/phys/bio 98.8

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)