Target / Big W / Best & Less: employing disabled? (1 Viewer)

drovers-sunrise

HSC
Hi everyone

I am visually impaired and am seeking employment at one of the above stores. Does anyone know how they are with the disabled? Any of you guys have any good encouraging stories to share? I'm not feeling too confident.

I do have some sight and think I should be fine if given a floor position. I don't think I'd be able to do a register unless I memorised what the most important buttons were (but I can read barcodes if held up close if need be).

Anyway does anyone know of any disabled people working in bigw/target/b&l? do floor positions just involve helping customers/restocking/tidying?

I just want a job. I'm 23 and I've never had one.

Looking forward to any tips that anyone can suggest, and fluffy stories.

mitch179

HSC
Well, as a Target employee,
I know that we are a Diverse and Equal Opportunity Employer. That includes people with disabilities.

You should be fine with a floor position, just make sure you request it when you apply/at the interview.

HSC
There's a young guy who is visually and intellectually impaired working at the Target near me, my friend (who works with him) says he's on a general floor position, not too sure what the specifics of the job are.
But such companies are great ideas.
Good Luck!

drovers-sunrise

HSC
I just did the kmart psych test online. Must say it was very visual.

I got like in the low range of the problem solving questions, and high in the workplace health and safety.

I'm guessing my chances of getting an interview are bad?

And thank you everyone for your encouragement.

chicky_pie

POTATO HEAD ROXON
HSC
Oh no, you will be bullied in those retail stores by fellow staff or even customers, I use to work in Target East Gardens back when I was in high school, we had this girl who couldn't see well, and some staff would throw items in front of her and she would trip over badly and once she was asked to find this customers daughter's dress from the catalogue, she would say she couldn't help because she is partially blind or w/e and the customer said to her "why in the hell you working here if you couldn't help people, you're just a waste of the company's money, just quit work and sit down and do nothing at home you worthless shit, but that means you're relying on my tax money, bloody disabled people, always having excuses, grow some new eyes"

Scanorama

HSC
Big W Wagga Wagga employs hearing impaired staff on the register.

Customers who abuse disabled staff are just low.

Evilo

HSC
mitch179 said:
Well, as a Target employee,
I know that we are a Diverse and Equal Opportunity Employer. That includes people with disabilities.

You should be fine with a floor position, just make sure you request it when you apply/at the interview.
+1

midifile

Na Na Na Na Naa
HSC
cccclaire said:
Best and less will pretty much take anyone.
Yep.

Actually earlier this year they actually did have a mentally disabled girl doing work experience for them. It wasnt a real job, as she was only there for two weeks or so for experience, but it was something.

Apparently they will take disabled people, as long as their disability will stop them from being able to do their job. If you think that youd be fine as floor staff, they will have no reason to treat you any differently to other applicants

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)