• Want to help us with this year's BoS Trials?
    Let us know before 30 June. See this thread for details
  • Looking for HSC notes and resources?
    Check out our Notes & Resources page

Target (1 Viewer)

lenga89

HSC
Hey just wondering if anyone here has applied or worked at Target before. I applied last week and was wondering how long it takes to get a response from them as they said they were looking for people. And what the pay is like for casual work for a 17 year old who turns 18 next month.

alfonso22

HSC
hey

i work at target atm and i started last july...so like a year and a bit..

umm atm im getting almost 13 an hour and im 18.. and yeah casual rate,,

so its no too bad..

i get alot of shifts which is good..

umm it took me a couple weeks to hear back...but that was before you had to actually hand in an application form ..so not too sure on how long it might be,,

good luck though..

target is an awesome place to work and good on savings too;)

lenga89

HSC
thanks for that. Hopefully I get a call soon cause I want to be doing something otherwise it gets very boring with absolutely nothing to do all day. But it’s definitely better then school:)

brows

HSC
lenga89 said:
thanks for that. Hopefully I get a call soon cause I want to be doing something otherwise it gets very boring with absolutely nothing to do all day. But it’s definitely better then school:)
yer how boring does it get!!??

HSC
I don't work at Target, so I don't know what their pay rates are, but my friend who works at Target (of the same age) was at one stage being payed $1.40 more per hour than I was. So I guess Target pay well compared to other retail stores.

EDIT: btw I was working at woolies, if you want to compare.

BlytheChloe

HSC
lenga89 said:
I'm in the same situation. Nothing to do all day and waiting for Target as well.

I've got 2 friends working casual at Target Liverpool and apparently they already hired people for the Christmas overload but there's still hope for me. LOL. Hopefully..

If you find a job get me one too! Haha.

Or I will just ask them for work experience and hope I get a casual position from it like my friend did. She did a week's work experience during school and got the job after.

Last edited:

alfonso22

HSC
yeah

im glad i kept my job...

i am so bored on my days off...all i do is sleep...

but work is alright..gives me an excuse to get out of bed..

Evilo

HSC
~11-12$ an hour i suspect. Really shit pay in my opinion. You'll get even less if they hire you as a "trainee sales assistant" instead of just a "sales assistant"

lala2

Banned
HSC
^^I agree that if it's $11-12/hr, it's really shit pay, but IMHO, I think that any pay is better than no pay, especially if you're just looking to occupy yourself for 3 months and you are rather late too. As they say, beggars can't be choosers.

^CoSMic DoRiS^^

makes the woosh noises
HSC
this is probably a dumb question but target country pays the same as regular target, right? just wondering coz i filled in an application there today. don't think i'll get a job anyway though seeing as how there were like 2 people working in the whole store when i stopped by...

Evilo

HSC
lala2 said:
^^I agree that if it's $11-12/hr, it's really shit pay, but IMHO, I think that any pay is better than no pay, especially if you're just looking to occupy yourself for 3 months and you are rather late too. As they say, beggars can't be choosers.
agreed - good point! little pay > no pay

Evilo

HSC
I would also like to say you do learn a bit more than expected. I work at liquorland, and from working there i've learnt about society (particularly social class), alot about wine/beer/spirits production, whats good whats not etc. Actually i had to get a present for one of my dads rich work associates, i ended up (unknowlingly) picking up his favourite wine! (and not just the most expensive). You also see all "types" of people, and then you really value what you have. It just shocks me when people are crossing their fingers just hoping they have enough money to pay for a $4.50 long neck..... anwyays yeah. You do learn alot more that you would expect. I'm not sure about target though - but at least you would pick up economics etc.

alfonso22

HSC
well yeah i have learnt a few things..mainly things to do with specific ethnics though...like a customer gets to the register and the item scans up as the REAL price and they persist to say 'no it was cheaper'...and they argue with you and when you call another staff member from that department and they check it out...the customer is blatantly lying to you.... this is particularly so with indians...but this is a generalisation..NOT EVERY indian...

and also yeah picking p knowledge on what is QUALITY stock over just simply crap.. such as clothing and bedlinen..

also the amount of money people spend on items in a week..

last year not even at christmas time i saw the same lady in the shop at least 4 times a week..

and half the time she bought absolutely nothing....

well...

also the amount of customers who scan an item at a price checkpoint and see the price and then leave the item at the check point because it is too expensive for them...that gives everyone the shits..

i could go on and on...but i wont..

Bigred098765432

HSC
I work at Target in Hornsby atm. Im 17 and get 12.76 and hour. My friends who are 18 get 19.50 and hour there. I depends how big the store is. Small store doesnt spend as much where as bigger stores need more people and pay more to keep them.

tanjin

el oh vee eee ♥
HSC
Bigred098765432 said:
I work at Target in Hornsby atm. Im 17 and get 12.76 and hour. My friends who are 18 get 19.50 and hour there.
I'm pretty sure that's the rate for Sunday.

mitch179

HSC
I work at Target. It's a good place to work. I'm only 15 so I'm only on $9.51/hour but that's still good compared to my $8.75/hour when I was working at woolworths. When I first started, they put me on registers, but I've been there a little less than 3 months, and I'm on floor now. I really don't mind registers or floor, but there are some days when I just wish I could go to registers for a couple of shifts because floor can get really repetitive.

When I haned my form in, I got a call about 6 weeks later, so it may take a while, depending on if the store you handed your form into is hiring or not.

alfonso22

HSC
yeah..

im 18 and i get 12.83 and hour... i work at a reasonable sized store...

there is No thing about paying more for bigger stores..

we are all under an award..where every worker for target(excluding country and baby) get paid the same wage for age group..

your friends might be register supervisors or something...for that they get paid more...

regardless of how much your store makes you pay rate doesnt increase..

just the number of staff per shift does..

Evilo

HSC
If you mix liquor, gambling, or service (hospitality) into any job - your pay will increase, unfortunatly target does not have any of them.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)