Tax file number (1 Viewer)

Raginsheep

HSC
Just confirm this for me but when you fill out your UNSW online application, and get up to the bit about HECS-Help, you don't need to provide your tax file number immediately rite?

Tuna

HSC
N/A
Absolutely not by this stage you have completed your offer acceptance so get a TFN if you're a CSP student

gman03

HSC
Raginsheep said:
cause I don't have one...
This is not unusal for first yearer who had not started legal work. Bascially you will have to get it by HECS (or what do they call this year.. CHIP/CHEH/CSP/CHIH/... whatever the HECES stuff) Census date. The date is left as an excercise for you.

gman03

HSC
nwatts said:
How do you go about getting a TFN? (I'm in the same boat).
I am aware you did not direct this question to me, but I will give you partial answer anyway.

Depending where you are (sydney or wollongong) you should go to your nearest Australia Tax Office. There you will need to brind some official documentation. For more info you should try ATO website

Tuna

HSC
N/A
You could always call up your old highschool and blame them :)

Raginsheep

HSC
Friday 31 March is the census date right?

I gotta call up my old high school for saying that I didn't return my english text books. Bloody hell, I was happy to get rid of them!

Last edited:

sarevok

HSC
yeah
it takes them a while to give you the tax-file number so don't leave it too late

savO

HSC
how do i submit my TFN??
coz atm its written " Not provided "
and there is no box where i can fill it in

gman03

HSC
savO said:
how do i submit my TFN??
coz atm its written " Not provided "
and there is no box where i can fill it in
well you kinda have to say yes to "i wanna defer my payment" box somewhere, then there will be a box say enter for TFN.

maybe you are not up to that stage yet?

read the myUNSW enrolment tutorial? that flash file?

seremify007

HSC
Uni Grad
Once you put the TFN in and say you accept HECS, does it automatically all work together and require us to do nothing else?

Dumsum

has a large Member;
HSC
seremify007 said:
Once you put the TFN in and say you accept HECS, does it automatically all work together and require us to do nothing else?
Yeah I think it just goes on your tax record that you have a HECS debt, so that in future when you give your TFN to your employer if you're earning enough they'll just take out a small percentage toward paying it off automatically.

gman03

HSC
seremify007 said:
Is it possible to pay some of it off (at a discounted rate) during our university studies?
No, discount applies only to payment for that semester, however the earlier you pay back the deferred payment you will save some in the future.This is because each year your deferred payment will increase along with CPI...

seremify007

HSC
Uni Grad
From memory you had to put TFN in, and then after that it asked you how you were planning to pay. Could be wrong.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)