Taxi Driver Murder = MQ Student (1 Viewer)

ALLLICE

HSC
Yeah, gruesome...haven't seen anything though. Apparently the murderer was an economics student at macq- that is of course if you're to believe channel 10 news.

Haha.. my dad was talking to me about it and was all zomg!! what if you knew the guy?!

jake2.0

. . .
HSC
Yea they (news) showed police divers searching in the lake today, unfortunately for the family they found nothing.

SMH said:
On Thursday police charged Gu Xunfei, 22, a student, with the murder after he was arrested in the Macquarie University library on Wednesday night.
So he was hiding in the library? You'd think he'd go somewhere less public.

Karl Marx

HSC
N/A
jake2.0 said:
judging by his name it would be like searching for a needle in a haystack

ALLLICE

HSC
jake2.0 said:
lol the library. That reminds me of those announcements they have from time to time saying that they are thieves currently active in the library... do you reckon they'd make a similar announcement about murderers?

jake2.0

. . .
HSC
They probably would've got someone at the reception to call his name out through the audio system they have going on in the library. Wonder if he came down not knowing that the police were waiting for him.

fernando

Poo
HSC
N/A
ahh poor family. =( couldn't imagine what they're going through.

MaryJane

Extraordinary Machine
HSC
I got this through my work email: He was NOT a MQ Student... just used our library as a dumping ground...

Dear colleagues

You may be aware from media reports overnight and this morning that a Chinese national, Xunfei Gu, has been arrested for the alleged murder of an Eastwood taxi driver. It is being widely misreported in the media that this person is a Macquarie University student, which is not the case, and as a result inquiries have been received across the University this morning. See http://www.smh.com.au/news/national...-missing-cabbie/2007/06/21/1182019250166.html for last night's Sydney Morning Herald article on the matter.

If you are contacted by the media, or any members of the public about this, please refer them to ***********. However, if you are requested by police to assist them with their inquiries into the matter please do so directly.

Regards
Steven Schwartz

edit: removed all possible contact issues :)

Last edited:

nikmueller

HSC
hey maryjane

just out of interest, are we members of the public? and if so, should you have told us that or that we should contact so and so from wherever?

the confidentiality thing seems to be a bit ridiculous because it leaves everyone out of the loop.

mmm...

AsyLum

Premium Member
HSC
N/A
I'm assuming thats an internal memo from the administration and instructions for the staff to refer them on to the relevant person.

Therefore the contact numbers are inherently 'confidential' because it is a public forum and internal numbers are probably not in the interests of the public. The uni is informing its staff where to direct people who inquire about the issue to the official spokesperson.

There is no smoking gun, no deep throat. MJ has graciously tried to clarify the situation for us, what is it that you really want to say?

X

xeuyrawp

MaryJane said:
I got this through my work email: He was NOT a MQ Student... just used our library as a dumping ground...

Dear colleagues

You may be aware from media reports overnight and this morning that a Chinese national, Xunfei Gu, has been arrested for the alleged murder of an Eastwood taxi driver. It is being widely misreported in the media that this person is a Macquarie University student, which is not the case, and as a result inquiries have been received across the University this morning. See http://www.smh.com.au/news/national/man-charged-with-murder-over-missing-cabbie/2007/06/21/1182019250166.html for last night's Sydney Morning Herald article on the matter.

If you are contacted by the media, or any members of the public about this, please refer them to ***********. However, if you are requested by police to assist them with their inquiries into the matter please do so directly.

Regards
Steven Schwartz

edit: removed all possible contact issues :)
I assume the guy's at SIBT or somthing?

nikmueller

HSC
There is no smoking gun, no deep throat. MJ has graciously tried to clarify the situation for us, what is it that you really want to say?
the question for me is about confidentiality and the net. confidentiality and talking to people also.

the problem for me now is that i get information like what MJ put up. if i post info up here then uni claims that it is confidential and i get fired i feel like there won't be support for me.

mmm perhaps i need an alias

X

xeuyrawp

I am going to resurrect this thread. The judgment has been handed down and the student is not guilty by reason of mental illness.

R v Xinfei Gu [2009] NSWSC 1305 (27 November 2009)
Thanks for posting that.

What a terrible case; a family man is killed for no apparent reason in a horrifying and reasonably public manner, which is then pulled through the media and a two year legal process ending in less than a week in court. The killer is clearly not entirely responsible for his actions given that he's got a severe mental disorder, which also means that he cannot be prosecuted. The family must have an intense and bitter feeling of injustice, which is understandable. The family of the killer now also needs to deal with having him confined in a foreign country, made doubly worse by how mental disorders are (mis)understood in China.

Absolutely terrible.

These things are really amplified when they hit home. It reminds me of that incident where the MQ guy permanently injured another guy with a skateboard. Too many bad things happening around our uni!

This is unfortunately a perfect case which shows that very bad things happen in this world for no apparent reason, leaving behind no single person to blame yet a whole array of victims.

Luke!

Sexual Revolutionist
HSC
This is unfortunately a perfect case which shows that very bad things happen in this world for no apparent reason, leaving behind no single person to blame yet a whole array of victims.
It always seems to me that life has an extremely morbid sense of humour. Yet, I suppose the reality is that we live in a cold, hostile and impersonal universe that is completely indifferent to our existence.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)