Teacher bias (1 Viewer)

Not-That-Bright

Andrew Quah
HSC
Last year for one of my trial essays I felt I had done everything right, I had used heaps of different interpretations, I had explained what different concepts were, I had used quotes from different theorists etc however I recieved 12/20.

My dad went down to the school cuz he was worried about my marks, after a discussion about it, and me pointing out that I had everything that should qualify me for a high mark answer, his only response was "If you tweak your essay structure a little bit, you will probably get 18-19/20".

FAG.

ajmason87

HSC
double marking, no way does it happen at my school

and for triple marking, wed have to be dreaming

senzazn

asian mo-fo
HSC
N/A
7th Sign said:
u wann ahve a bitch lol for 10% assesment a teacher thought it would be fun to have class marking in a hsc assesment!!!!!!!
for legal studies we have to mark all the multiple choise and short answers ourselves cause our teacher s so freaken lazy and then when we tell him off he just keeps on doing it

we've had to do it quite a few times already

ajmason87

HSC
senzazn said:
for legal studies we have to mark all the multiple choise and short answers ourselves cause our teacher s so freaken lazy and then when we tell him off he just keeps on doing it

we've had to do it quite a few times already

haha and rcandelori thinks u get the mark u deserve

adambra

HSC
Double-marking? Takes our teachers 6 months to mark it once and then its full of errors.

bridgett

betty's bitch
HSC
rcandelori said:
Blaming teacher's favouritism is not an excuse for pathetic work.
i didnt accuse her of havin fav's coz i got shit marks from her ... it was bcoz i sat next to her fav, and if he talked then I would get the blame and she would go off at ME !!! even if it wasnt me who he was talkin to ... coincidently i did get only slightly above average marks from her, but i only put in a half assed effort so thats not her fault

nwatts

HSC
Triple marking has got to be the stupidest thing I've heard today.

kols_kebabs: Assessment marks are there to work out how far apart ranks are. The marks themselves mean nothing. I fail to see your point without a rank.

hopeles5ly

Take Me Higher.
HSC
N/A
playboy2njoy said:
Meh, I had my trial for Business marked by a teacher who doesn't like the fact that when I left his class I went to the top of the year in the subject. So I ended up with shit marks and comments like "dont waffle on" and "totally incorrect" in the paper when I got it back. Coherantly, his section brought my entire trial exam mark now.

ur in dls right? who marked ur paper? .. our yr only has one business studies class which is ms chakty's.

cate_7x

HSC
We had amazing teacher bias in our art class - ridiculously so, and in the end it probably gave some people more of an advantage rank wise than it should have. In the end though I'm just glad to have finished that class.

Sim0n

HSC
Maybe it's just me, but i'd like to think that there is a degree of professionalism (which there certainly is) in teaching, and teachers are able to overcome any petty indiscretions or misdemeanours on behalf of the student to assign a suitable, unbiased mark. I've seen people complain of favouritism before (in the case that they believed their work was better then it actually was) and I can tell you now, the problem was not that the teacher was bias, it was that the student thought his work was better than it actually was. Obviously this doesnt ring true in all cases - i've seen favouritism in action myself but I think students are far too willing to abdicate from responsiblity and blame teachers for their own bad marks and therefore, their own shortcomings.

Plus you must keep in mind that they always have our assessments marked by at least two teachers, independent from one other (at my school anyway). If there is a large disparity between the two hypothetical marks, they'll often get a third party in. Personally i'd be more worried of bias occuring within hsc marking then within the school itself.

DarkPrince_87

HSC
i hate bias...my legal studies teacher was my ipt teacher...(stupid rural schooling) neway in legal studies there are 3 favourites in his class and i am one of them, i do really good work through out the year and towards the end i start to slack off because he was giving us work out of the legal studies in a month book which i have memorised, he would ask for the answers and i would say they were at home, anyway after a while he got annoyed yet i still kept on getting top, i noticed after a while he was bias because answers that were wrong he would mark right for other ppl...an example in legal studies is we had to define wat mens rae was, half the class wrote about actus reus (if u dont know about legal studies these are 2 toatlly different things) and he marked them right....where as in one question i only got 4/5 i asked y i lost a mark and he sed u gave an example of a real situation, and it didnt say to do so.......ok so that didnt worry me but for the trial this girl in my class beat me by 10% which is almost unheard of because no one had gotten within 10% of me let alone beat me by 10%! i looked at her work and it was less quality then mine...i only just beat her in ranks so im still kinda happy.......but for ipt he was the dumbest teacher he would knock on the computers and talk to him self....half the time the students tought him the coursee such as myself and a few selected other few...i only started trying in yr 12 for this course and i was doing real good only got beat in one assessment by the half yearly reports yet i was ranked 3rd...i didnt see how, and then we had our major assessment due....i did a website which took me in excess of 100 hours to create i had everything correct answered everything it was relevant the whole lot, i only got 84% (which is good) but not wen someone else got 94% for a lil 3 minute cartoon in flash that included swearing and death and stuff...it was totally irellevant to the scenario we were given......in the end he ended up getting ranked first by 1-2 marks infront of me....this totally annoyed me, i asked wat was wrong with my site and he sed the video clips didnt have sound (well mayb he shoulda turned the speakers on)...neway theres my 2cents...there is teacher bias no matter what anyone sez i have seen both sides to my advantage and disadvantage by the same teacher in 2 different subjects, and complaining isnt just to hide the fact that we may of done bad, coz i know i did good and deserved better marks....newho im hungry and gonna go to CSU now with some friends...peace out

ajmason87

HSC
Sim0n said:
Maybe it's just me, but i'd like to think that there is a degree of professionalism in teaching.
well so would i, but i simply cant

fleepbasding

HSC TUTOR
HSC
Of course teachers have favorites, nothing is going to change that. Telling teachers not to have favorites is like telling someone not to have a favorite food- it's not going to happen. And why do people have favorite foods? Because the food tastes good. Likewise, teachers have favorites because those students are nicer, more dilligent, friendlier, more polite, co-operative etc, than the other students. You could be your teachers favorite to if you put more of an effort into treating them well. Naturally there are cases in which no amount of fellatio will elevate you to the sacrad "teachers pet" status, but the root cause of so many students disgruntlement is a lack of effort on their part to adapt their behavior to their teachers. Compromise is paramount for most paths of life, the HSC included.

hopeles5ly

Take Me Higher.
HSC
N/A
playboy2njoy said:
We have four actually. Latham, Chakty, Zappia and Simone. And Latham is the teacher who marked me bad.
wow didnt know he would be a business teacher, i remember one of the teachers(cant remember who) saying that they only made one business studies class for yr11 because a majority of the classes in your yr were doing really bad in it.

that goes for SDD as well, i think there was about 3classes next yr that want to do it, but because of how 85% of my class dropped out of it (including me) and because everyone did crap, they are only going to make one lol. highest in our prelims was 40/100 haha because no one cared about it.

fleepbasding said:
Of course teachers have favorites, nothing is going to change that. Telling teachers not to have favorites is like telling someone not to have a favorite food- it's not going to happen. And why do people have favorite foods? Because the food tastes good. Likewise, teachers have favorites because those students are nicer, more dilligent, friendlier, more polite, co-operative etc, than the other students. You could be your teachers favorite to if you put more of an effort into treating them well. Naturally there are cases in which no amount of fellatio will elevate you to the sacrad "teachers pet" status, but the root cause of so many students disgruntlement is a lack of effort on their part to adapt their behavior to their teachers. Compromise is paramount for most paths of life, the HSC included.
yeah practically if u are more compliant with the teacher and do your school work/homework with a lot of effort, there more then likely to treat/mark you a lot more better than others who just dont give a crap and always make up bs excuses.

Last edited:

ajmason87

HSC
hopeles5ly said:
yeah practically if u are more compliant with the teacher and do your school work/homework with a lot of effort, there more then likely to treat/mark you a lot more better than others who just dont give a crap and always make up bs excuses.
Well, this shouldnt be an issue and proves the lack of professionalism in teachers marking

hopeles5ly

Take Me Higher.
HSC
N/A
ajmason87 said:
Well, this shouldnt be an issue and proves the lack of professionalism in teachers marking
well i feel lucky that i havnt been exposed to any of this. but then my RE teacher doesnt even know how to mark papers, omg she contradicts her self so much. like i showed her my draft for my St Paul assignment in term3, she told me how good it was, and then 10mins later when she gave it back to me she said it was really bad and that there were so many errors in it and im like wdf? i didnt end up changing the paper and she still gave me the highest mark in my class, along with someone else who she said his draft was really bad. seriously i cant stand her and no one else in my class can either ...

Last edited:

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)