Teacher Cheating - Unwarranted Extra Marks Given to Student (1 Viewer)

unfairtreatment

HSC
N/A
My English teacher (head of department at my school), today, altered one of my classmates' trial assessment mark upwards, by another 5 marks. This improved his rank from 3rd to 2nd, where I was previously 2nd.

The facts behind this were:

1) Our teacher handed back our trial answers with individual marks for each question. We were allowed the period to check the paper, calculate total marks, etc. This happened last week.

2) We had to hand in our papers by the end of the period. My teacher said that no alterations would be made to the marks from then on, so we would not be able to appeal for more marks after that time.
My classmate, in 3rd place, received 73%, while I received 75%. He made no appeals for mark changes at that point.

3) Note that, in our trials, we only use our student number, and not our names. We wrote our names on our marking sheets before we gave back our papers for her records.

4) Today, we got our papers back to keep. My classmate announced to me that he had now come 2nd in the trial with 78%, which is an entire 5% above his original mark. Remember that no appeals could have been made for more marks after handing the papers in the first time. This really messed up the rankings (for me), as I told you before. I was previously in second place, now I'm third.

5) The teacher had changed the marking sheet entirely to reflect the new marks: she had rewritten the entire sheet so that no evidence of his previous marks were left.

6) When my classmate's name was not revealed on the answer paper in the trial, he received poor marks in comparison to mine. However, once his name was written on the paper, his marks miraculously went up... above mine! Of course, in all previous assessment tasks with his name written on his answers, he always scored better than me. This makes me very suspicious... perhaps he never deserved those marks.

7) I was not the only person who witnessed this.

8) This is not the first time my teacher has favoured him, but this is the first time I've had solid evidence to confirm my suspicions. There has been a similar pattern throughout the year, where he seems to receive marks which are not in accordance with the standard of his performance, nor his submitted work! A few of my classmates have also noticed this unfair treatment.

What should I do? It is no use going to any of the teachers... My English teacher is the head of the English department, and it is most likely that the principal and secondary head would not be sympathetic. He seems to get the same 'service' from most of his other teachers, as well. This is very unfair to the rest of the students who submit high quality work, but are not recognised or duly rewarded the appropriate marks.

Any suggestions? Do you think this is fair? Is this cheating the HSC - by both teacher and student? Am I also guilty by association, if I do not reveal these misdeeds? Do you think the Board of Studies cares about these kinds of unethical activities?

HSC
If you feel that strongly about it, perhaps you should discuss the issue with the teacher in question. Obviously you think they're not going to agree with you, but they may be able to explain the situation to you. If you're still unhappy with it after that, perhaps you could attempt to speak to the principal, crime stoppers or the pope.

gordo

Resident Jew
HSC
its not worth getting on the bad side of your teacher (you want him/her as much as possible during stuvac to read shit)
that will make no difference at all to your over marks anyway

alita

HSC
God my geo teacher did the same thing. He gave us our overall assessment marks yesterday (didn't think he was allowed to but anyway)... He didn't change the results of the people who did well, but he changed the marks of people who failed (got less than 50%). So now there is a smaller gap between our assessment marks. If I came second with 84% should I be worried? I already tried talking to him about it but he told me I won't be affected, is this true?

HSC
Are you kids really that serious about clawing your way to the top of the shit heap? Seriously, if you're really cut up about it, talk to the teacher. If the teacher says it won't affect you, trust their judgement. They didn't get their job so they could fuck you in the outhole (Except for the P.E. teachers, but that's a different story), so just let it slide, and try being happy with the results that your teacher deems are appropriate. If you really can't handle it, or it's an extreme case, do try complaining to them and anyone who will listen, but just make sure you realise how bitter you sound beforehand.

You may also want to be *really* sure in advance that there aren't things going on behind the scenes that you aren't aware of. While it's tempting to assume that it's a conspiracy, it's possible that the individual who has had their marks adjusted has legitimate, and confidential, reasons for special consideration and that the teacher has decided that the extra marks are justified. That could explain why neither the student or the teacher have come up to you and personally justified why the marks have been changed, because if that's the case then it just isn't any of your business.

Last edited:

Conspirocy

HSC
1st of all you can kick up as much of a scream about this as you like
- your trials are over
- all your assessments are done
- you have proof of all your marks and ranks

so you should look at the guidelines of lodging an appeal
- you can ask the school to do an internal review (the BOS will not review internal assessment), but yeah basically you cant scare the school heaps
- you have to do this quickly though, because there is a deadline to submit ranks for subjects to the BOS

personally, i would just not care about the rank, but be a complete prick to all teachers in the school and just make a big song and dance about it to scare them lol

Sweets

objective subjectives
HSC
Well there is actually the possibility that, that person DESERVED that mark. I got jipped on my society and culture essay and I got a re-mark and got a mark and a half more, meaning my overall assessment rank is now 1. I don't feel bad at all, because I deserved it and because I no longer have the gloating blonde to deal with either....

haboozin

Do you uhh.. Yahoo?
HSC
maybe the guy talked to the teacher privatly at the end of the lesson.
It could have been from the adding up of the marks.

You never asked the guy why he got the extra marks.
Your teacher had said no other appeals can be made after this point, but the guy could have added his mark afterwards and noticed that it is right. Its not as if he is making an appeal and the child should not be penalized for teachers miscalculations.

maybe the teacher missed a page in the guys essay?
maybe the mark was right but when u put it in a percentage it wasnt the same as what your teacher had recorded?

maybe you should find out more information before your blame the teacher or the student.

2nd is 78?
is this standard english?

Last edited:

Kutar Maggi

They call me nigga man
HSC
look stop effing complaining. the student probably spent the whole year suking up and getting a good relationship with the teacher and for their efforts they deserve the special treatment. HSC is about STUDYING SMART not HARD. Therefore its ur problem u didnt get a good relationship...........Anyway you must go to a shit school if ur 2nd rank is 78%....i mean dumbasses stop complainnig its not like ur gonna get a crack shot UAI anyway

angel_fire

HSC
can i ask a quick question.. Is this standard english or advanced. as for i know our standard english rank for first was only 61% for the trials, and our advanced one was 92% but still as advacned students we are meant to get better than standard. Our teacher would have been highly disappointed if this didn't happen, as she is head teacher and very snobby putting it in a nice way, her students always have to be the best apparently, yeah i don't like her if you can tell. However, really if it is a standard class the scores are not that bad being 78%, you have bet everyone in our schools standard classes.. Some students in our advanced one only got 50% and below meaning they were all behing standard students, so you should be happy with what you got despite this boy getting extra marks. I know i went to my teacher after the lesson instead of duirng as for she forgot to mark my 6 mark question in biology and i got an extra 5 marks meaning i went from being 4th to 3rd, there was no problems with that.. And i am really sorry to say but the thing about sucking up to teachers and forming a positive relationship with them well just should never come into account.. It shouldn't matter what type of relationship a student has with a teacher the marks all should be awarded for the work the student does, if it is of poor quality then it should get poor marks, but if there is reasons for it to be poor then fair enough maybe it should get changed but not because the student is their fave. I know I had an assessment task in history and i was really really sick but i still wanted to do it so I didn't put the class behind well i did it but i apparently got really really shit marks and he knows i deserved better so i got a doctors certificate and everything but i still had to keep the shit marks and i am like this teachers fave student in class but it never came into account while he was marking the essay.. Like i only got 6 out of 20 and i normaly would have got like 17-18/20 but i just had to live with that.. in the end the HSC is apparently not everything and your marks well really are not worth causing enemies. A single person can only try their best... well that is what my teachers always tell me but i am like many of you ans go totally against their advice. anyways soz i couldn't be much help personally for the sake of 5 marks i would not put myself in the position for the teacher to be able to start hating you, trust me it is not good having a teacher hate you... so if you can possibly live with it i would but if this is not possible make sure you know the facts before you say anything and it doesn't really look good if you happen to be the student who he bet because of the extra marks so try and get someone who is lower than you in ranking to support you....

sabdow

HSC
oh fuck bro!
you are only third! i'd be real shitty if i went from second, all the way down to third!

go and slit your wrist since it hurts so much you spastic

aim54x

XccenTRiX
lost in the mists of time, shrouded by thought
HSC
dude don't worry bout it, if it is the rank form ur trial that has been affected, if it is ur overall mark then kick up a fuss. it is late in the year so u can afford to be in ur teacher's bad books.

keep in mind that this will not happen to u again. the hsc cannot be marked by ur teacher.

*girl04*

hey every1, how r u?
HSC
N/A
Kutar Maggi said:
look stop effing complaining. the student probably spent the whole year suking up and getting a good relationship with the teacher and for their efforts they deserve the special treatment. HSC is about STUDYING SMART not HARD. Therefore its ur problem u didnt get a good relationship...........Anyway you must go to a shit school if ur 2nd rank is 78%....i mean dumbasses stop complainnig its not like ur gonna get a crack shot UAI anyway
You do realise that the girl that came 1st in the state in ancient history and economics a few years ago, got 64% ( or so) in her trials and her overall assesment was 70%

HSC
How do you know that 64% in her school was a very good mark (ie. very difficult exam), she could of got only 20%, but its her rank that matters, if it was first then she's in luck :uhhuh:

Zali

HSC
Some of my teachers did things like that but it wasn't by 5% it was only 1/2 a mark. But they did it so that there wouldn't be like 3 people ranked first because if that happens and one person does badly than all the assment marks get moderated down in the HSC including the to kids that may hav gone well. So they chose the person they thought would do the best in the HSC and gave them more marks. Unethical? it depends on your view i gess itd suck if you were the person who didnt get extra marks but it could be an advantage if the person who got the marks does bad in the HSC. any way i gess what i'm trying to say is that they may hav changed his mark to make sure that the overall ranks reflected the predicted ranks for the HSC exam to make it fair for all students.

haboozin

Do you uhh.. Yahoo?
HSC
*girl04* said:
You do realise that the girl that came 1st in the state in ancient history and economics a few years ago, got 64% ( or so) in her trials and her overall assesment was 70%
yea, school exams for other subjects can be very different and difficault, however english is more stable.

You know what's gonna be in there: comprehension, creative writing, journeys, In the wild, King lear and frontline.

So the integrity marks would not vary that greatly from school to school, sure some teachers might mark easier or harder.

bitchgirl

University Life
HSC
teachers are doing this in some subjects, giving students extra marks because they failed by a few marks etc and some subjects they mark students more harsh, im surprised at the trials, even the real smart students failed the exams as well

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)