Teacher, Lawyer, Psychologist..... I could use a second opinion please! :D (1 Viewer)

Which occupation?

• Teacher

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • Lawyer

Votes: 0 0.0%

• Total voters

Existential

HSC
N/A
Please vote (the poll) and explain (give reasons) as to which of the three occupations would be the best to undertake after I finish the HSC. Thanks.

witide

HSC
D: Other (Garbage Collector)

Alternatively, whatever the hell you want to do.

chrisnumber1

HSC
it depends on you, teaching is good if you plan to have kids( you get school holidays) and despite the constant complaining if you teach at a private denominational school (like not a fancy one) after 10 years of experience the pay is over $80 000, if you are a REC its 6 figures, and there is very little chance of being made redundant. but most importantly your doing something worthwhile. also you dont have to be a teacher for your whole career, you can move into other areas within teaching face to face.

lawyer and psychologist is a lot of work as to be a psychologist it think you need a masters degree, with PhD preferred

meilz92

where are my hair
HSC
Uni Grad
actually to become a registered psychologist in NSW, you must complete a relevant 3 year degree (eg. B Arts or B Science with psych major, or B psych) and you must either do a 4th honours year or something like a postgrad diploma (also 1 year i think). after 4 years at uni i think you can either do masters or 1 year of supervised practice to become a registered psychologist

dolbinau

HSC
It's a Masters or two years.

Don't become a Psychologist unless you really want to - it is pretty competitive. You will need to be motivated.

Lolsmith

kill all boomers
HSC
Don't be a Lawyer unless you want to spend the next 4 years of your life fighting asians that are being threatened by their parents with death if they don't succeed. The money that you can get from it are also not very good unless you're pretty much Jesus Christ or some other messiah

Teacher is excellent job security and employment options, decent wage for a 4 year course result, plus the wages go up pretty decently yearly. Depending on your desire for it, you could earn upwards of $100k as a Principal/something higher.

To be a registered psychologist you have to do a 4 year undergrad course that includes an Honours year, then 2 years of accredited employment or study which usually determines what kind of Psychologist you're going to be; Clinical, Occupational, Neurological. Depending on what uni you go to, the postgrad degree can include 4000+ hours of compulsory work experience as well as a research thesis.

If you don't feel up to the competition, I'd go for the teaching degree. Most secure field in terms of employment.

foofoobootyface

HSC
Omg you are almost exactly in the same position I was last year when I was finishing high school. I was having a really hard time trying to decide between Law, Psychology, Teaching or Journalism.

Ultimately I ruled out teaching simply because I knew I would never be rich if I became a teacher (shallow, I know).

What i decided to go for was a double degree of Law and Arts (majoring in Psychology). I can say quite honestly, I love it and have no regrets. I feel like I'm killing two birds with one stone and I will graduate with the skills to be a lawyer and the qualifications to go on to study for a Masters in Psychology.

If you are leaning towards Law/Psychology I would definately recommend a double degree as it's only one more year and you can keep your options open.
That's just my experience though lol. Just think about why you want to get into each field and where you want your life to go. Hope that sorta helps! :)

Eyedeology

HSC
I would advise that psychology would not be the best option, simply due to it's popularity...job options may not be the best.

It eventually just comes down to what you are most interested in.

kfnmpah

HSC
what kind of law?
you'll probably have to defend the scum of the earth, so you'd better be strong willed. Also, it is very competitive and job prospects aren't very good because each uni has lots of under grad law students who are all being released into the work force.

Psychology is also very popular and do you really want to listen to other people's problems for the rest of your life?

teaching is good for holidays, pay is decent at private schools (i'd go public though, more rewarding/challenging. the pay isn't even that bad plus you get lots of benefits for working for public schools) good job prospects.

Existential

HSC
N/A
as for psychology, idk if it is contextually right for me to pursue now...maybe later in life.

and teaching.....teaching..... im not sure on that front.

let's just say i did a double degree of B laws (JD) and B arts (psychology).

to be a practicing lawyer, would working at/for a law firm straight after uni be unrealistic? and how long would it take me to move into the court and progress ect.?

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)