Teacher Pay Increases (1 Viewer)

hyperbole

i LURRVE to exaggerate.
HSC
Hey,

It was on the news on Friday. Catholic School Teachers will recieve a 20% Pay Increase, whereas Public School Teachers will only recieve a 12% increase. That's just unfair!. How did the government or education minister justify this?

jm1234567890

Premium Member
HSC
Teachers don't deserve more than uni lecturers since they don't have to do research....

54k is fair

I think catholic schools aren't controlled by govenment

was that 20% over 1 year or serveral?

hatty

Banned
Originally posted by Asquithian
every like year they strike saying they want 25% increases

some of them deserve it many dont...

atm a teacher with 8 years experience gets 54 000 or so...

they get 12 weeks holidays a year and do not work 9 to 5...i dont give me crap about marking...i dont think its too stressfull marking yr9 trig papers ...probably do it in front of the TV...

you also dont have to meet performance levels ...essentially u turn up amd get paid no matter how shit you are.
no its not stressful marking yr9 trig papers.
but their not getting paid for it.

what if i came over ur house with some yr9 trig papers and asked u 2 mark it for free? i doubt u would.

im not 2 sure... but what if yr 9 wasnt the only level in school?
and trig papers werent the only tihng being marked?

correct me if im wrong Asquithian, but i believe there are more subjects and year levels out tere.

my teacher had to mark over 1000 essays 4000 short answers and a fuck load of multiple choice. thats a standard teacher teaching 3 subjects.
took the bitch 5 hours a night for a week.
did she get paid for it? i dont think she did.

would u mark 1000 essays and 4000 short answeres and a fuck load of multiple choice sheets for free? i dont think so.

the marking is a huge part of a teachers career.

they might not work 9 till 5
they work 8 till 3
1 hour less.
but take into acount the constant marking they always do.

jm1234567890

Premium Member
HSC
Originally posted by hatty

would u mark 1000 essays and 4000 short answeres and a fuck load of multiple choice sheets for free? i dont think so.

they work 8 till 3
1 hour less.
You must compare with university lecturers for fair comparision.

They also have to mark lots of papers and have to teach harder subjects.

True the averageish pay is around 70k, but they don't get holidays.

santaslayer

HSC
Originally posted by hatty

what if i came over ur house with some yr9 trig papers and asked u 2 mark it for free? i doubt u would.

im not 2 sure... but what if yr 9 wasnt the only level in school?
and trig papers werent the only tihng being marked?

correct me if im wrong Asquithian, but i believe there are more subjects and year levels out tere.

my teacher had to mark over 1000 essays 4000 short answers and a fuck load of multiple choice. thats a standard teacher teaching 3 subjects.
took the bitch 5 hours a night for a week.
did she get paid for it? i dont think she did.

they work 8 till 3
1 hour less.

Marking papers is not "free". It is part of the teacher's job description. If you do not want to complete that part of the description, then you shouldn't be teaching at all.

*~Dazed~*

fuck a duck
HSC
i think teachers deserve the pay increase. i dont know how much but they definately dont make enough money. Ok MAYBE their job isnt as 'important' as doctors, cops, lawyers etc but who educates the future people of these occupations? teachers! and yes as asq said some of them dont deserve it cause they are shit, but maybe if they earned more more people would be willing to take teaching on board and thus there would be more suitable teachers around

Generator

HSC
N/A
This has been discussed (to a certain extent) in the 'jobs and salaries' thread in the University - General forum:

http://www.boredofstudies.org/community/showthread.php?threadid=34007&perpage=15&pagenumber=2

One point I must make is that comparing an academic to a teacher is pathetic... Sure, universities are meant to be the centres of innovation for this country, but are we all required to attend such institutions? No. The role of the teacher is much more important.

Another point... How would you handle 25 to 30 children (each an individual and not your own) for 6 hours a day, 5 days a week?

The pay rate issue for the catholic schools was over executive teachers (although why they are awarded a higher rate to teach catholic 'values' in addition to the standard responsibilties is beyond me... Are the secular values of the state schools not as important?).

Edit: Selective/student performance payments do not work... Benchmarks fail to take into account the individual, many of which may be unable to learn due to merely being not too bright or due to disgusting home situations (there is also the other end of the scale, too). Should the teacher suffer (or be rewarded) with respect to the mental capacities or domestic lives of their students? Sure, we could create a system whereby each teacher was assessed with reference to each and every student, but if the government cannot pay the teachers as it is then how would they pay the bureaucrats?

Last edited:

jm1234567890

Premium Member
HSC
Originally posted by Generator

Another point... How would you handle 25 to 30 children (each an individual and not your own) for 6 hours a day, 5 days a week?
Teachers don't teach 6 hours a day...

But I get your point. That fact is merely a skill. Just like not everyone is able to research and write high quality papers.

Generator

HSC
N/A
6 hours of school. With taking break duties and whatnot it basically reaches 6.

I still do not know how you can stick to your argument. It is not 'merely' a skill. Managing to teach 25 to 30 individuals is far beyond creating a 'mere' paper, many of which serve only to justify grants.

400miles

Both my parents are teachers and I know for sure they deserve a pay rise... And I'm not just saying that cos I want our family to have more money. The amount of effort, determination, will (and all that crap) that my parents put in his huge.... true they get holidays... but if you saw how much school-related shit my parents did during the holidays... plus they have to look after the family and house...

every like year they strike saying they want 25% increases

some of them deserve it many dont...

they get 12 weeks holidays a year and do not work 9 to 5...i dont give me crap about marking...i dont think its too stressfull marking yr9 trig papers ...probably do it in front of the TV...

you also dont have to meet performance levels ...essentially u turn up amd get paid no matter how shit you are.
"do not work 9 to 5"... my dad's a deputy and works 9 to 6... my mums a science teacher and works 9 - 5
where do you get your statistics... maybe what you're thinking of is that they don't get paid 9 to 5... even though they may work it.. and maybe that's the issue

"dont give me crap about marking...i dont think its too stressfull marking yr9 trig papers ...probably do it in front of the TV..."
crap about marking? the AMOUNT of bloody time it takes up is ridiculous... i don't know what you're basing this whole argument off but I have the experience of living with two teachers who mark all the bloody time and don't get paid... and whether it's stressful or not (which it is sometimes) it's still work... they're still doing their job... and they do it for many hours... WITHOUT PAY

"you also dont have to meet performance levels ...essentially u turn up amd get paid no matter how shit you are. "

it is like that with soooo many jobs... of course there are some bad teachers... does that mean the teachers that are amazing that put in so much effort shouldn't be rewarded?
there are good lawyers and crap lawyers.. doesn't stop the good ones making squillions...

in short my parents are bloody fantastic teachers and work way too bloody much... not to mention to emotional/stress strain that it puts on them... they deserve every bloody dollar they get

ummmm basically most teachers aint worth shit.

we have all been to scoool and most teachers are nothing more than societies drop outs too lazy to work a real job.

Teaching is little mroe than readin a fuckign boook and setting a few tests.

They are some of the laziest most over rated peices of shit in the community.

Yeah education is important..but taking into acocount all the holidays etc etc....i think they should count themselves lucky to get watever they are geting atm.

lengstar

HSC
i think the pay for teachers is okay atm
i wouldn't go overboard like censorship though
but nurses should deserve the pay rises more

malkin86

HSC
I think there should be something to penalise the crap teachers (and we've all had at least one of those) and to reward the good teachers (and I hope we've all had at least one of those).

This would make teaching more reputable as a profession, thus making pay rises more justified.

Sarah168

London Calling
HSC
Isnt it 58000 after 8 years experience? This is BEFORE tax of course :p

Nick

foregone conclusion
HSC
N/A
Originally posted by ihatecensorship
ummmm basically most teachers aint worth shit.

we have all been to scoool and most teachers are nothing more than societies drop outs too lazy to work a real job.

Teaching is little mroe than readin a fuckign boook and setting a few tests.

They are some of the laziest most over rated peices of shit in the community.

Yeah education is important..but taking into acocount all the holidays etc etc....i think they should count themselves lucky to get watever they are geting atm.
teachers actually do more work than students

once you get into high school you will realise that

Nick

foregone conclusion
HSC
N/A
teachers might not deserve 200 000 per year, but there are plenty of professions that deserve far less than they get

mic

Chronic Burper
HSC
N/A
the reason why they're asking for 25% is cos in the past teaching salaries haven't risen in line with inflation. i read somewhere that in the 70s teachers were paid really well compared to other uni graduates, but then pay didn't really increase.

there's gonna be a teacher shortage soon when current teachers retire, so pay rises will do a lot to encourage others to enter it.

my mum used to teach in the public school system and she'd have to get up really early to do playground duty and a lot of the time she had to mediate arguments between psychotic parents, not only psychotic students. so teachers do deserve a hefty pay rise.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)