Teacher won't let me drop subject - allowed? (1 Viewer)

James1995

HSC
Basically my subjects are as follows with ranks

biology 1/50
chem 3/23
standard eng 1/90
general maths 43/50
modern history 5/25
economics 6/19

basically I want to drop maths, as you can tell with the horrible mark

The teacher that does all of this subject stuff (sorry, don't know what he's called) said pretty much this to me after a 1 hour argument between him and I regarding dropping it:

"you are not dropping it because I don't know if you might flunk out and become a lower rank in your other subjects"

we continued to talk and he just wouldn't let me...

I am both confused and shocked because he also said "It's ultimately up to me whether you drop it or not"

what can I do? I tried to tell he that the BOS won't allow this and he said "they do under these circumstances"

EDIT: Guys, if he can do this; just tell me. Please don't give me false hope

Last edited:

Absolutezero

real human bean
HSC
N/A
"you are not dropping it because I don't know if you might flunk out and become a lower rank in your other subjects"

That'd be a huge drop for that to happen. The only possible risk is your economics mark, and that's still not bad. Your maths is terrible by comparison.

They can't force you to keep it. They can strongly recommend, but they can't force you to take it. Especially considering it's general anyway.

enak101

HSC
Yeah, talk to a higher up imo. The deputy principal or principal.

James1995

HSC
:( :( :(

Assistant principal said "Its ultimately up to him"

Principal "I agree, maybe you will do bad in one of your other subjects"

The principal even implied that I'm a lazy person!!! That's absolutely not true.

What now?

townie

Premium Member
HSC
Uni Grad
Don't bother trying in general math, or talk to your parents and have them write to the school, or write to BoS

enoilgam

HSC
Don't bother trying in general math, or talk to your parents and have them write to the school, or write to BoS
I would go in the opposite order - talk to your parents and if all else fails, just dont put in the effort for general.

I cant understand why the school is so adamant though - try talking to Board of Studies, they might be able to give you some concrete advice on how to proceed.

enak101

HSC
That's so weird. I'd agree with just going higher up, it doesn't seem right. Contact BOS somehow.

Lucas_

HSC
Just do general maths and don't do any work between now and the HSC. Time you waste now trying to drop the subject is productive time which you have wasted studying for your other subjects.

Absolutezero

real human bean
HSC
N/A
Just do general maths and don't do any work between now and the HSC. Time you waste now trying to drop the subject is productive time which you have wasted studying for your other subjects.
The time you'd spend in classes and explaining to your teacher why you're doing so badly in tests/homework would take up so much more time than trying to drop it.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)