teachers playing around with raw marks? (1 Viewer)

Lazarus

Retired
HSC
If teachers are separating tied students, it can actually work in the students' favour.

It means that the top moderated assessment mark will be determined by the top examination mark, and not by the average of the top X examination marks (where X is the number of students tied equal-first).

Cab31

HSC
Lazarus said:
If teachers are separating tied students, it can actually work in the students' favour.

It means that the top moderated assessment mark will be determined by the top examination mark, and not by the average of the top X examination marks (where X is the number of students tied equal-first).
I spoke to a teacher last year about this. They arent allowed to send in two students on the same mark/rank. When the school she teaches at tried to do it, they told them that they had to remark all of their assessment tasks and separate them via the micro criteria for each task. Where the confusion comes into play about teachers 'playing' with the marks, probably comes from schools that dont bother remarking the assessments, and simply divide students by who they think is a better student.

Lazarus

Retired
HSC
Schools are allowed to send in marks with students on the same mark/rank - I don't know why your teacher told you they aren't.

It could have just been a policy that was used within your school, to assist students.

Lwaxana

Betazed Ambassador
HSC
N/A
Think about it
150 English students
teachers cant lodge marks with decimal points
so you end up with students having the same mark
and thus the same ranking

20 Japanese Beginner students
teacher would/should/could ensure that every student had a different mark
and thus a different ranking

all depends on the subject

and yes ur_inner_child it happens all the time

Cab31

HSC
It must have just been at my school then, because i know that no one was given the same rank for english. I dont quite know how that works but i guess thats their policy on giving two students equal ranking.

roadcone

HSC
i think it happens more with teachers tweaking the marks you receive in your school assessments throughout the year. for example at the beginning of one of my half yearly exams one of the crazy teachers at my school was walking past my table (i sit right up the front) and said oh i have to go remark your sor paper beacuse i was entering marks for numbers against names and when i put yours in i realised you were worth more than what i gave you... so yes it happens

JamiL

in the northen hemisphere (who saids australia is
HSC
fleepbasding said:
I have a question for anyone but espescially for the more expert. I have trawled through the exhaustively discussed threads on the moderation procedure blah blah blah (and by the way, it was very helpful- honestly, atleast 3/4 of the students at my school wouldn't know how it works). If this question has been discussed then I apologize, and could someone direct me to the correct thread.

I am aware that teachers sometimes for some of my subjects, decide at the end of the year that they will "tweak" some of the students raw internal marks (that they send to the board) in an attempt to make their internal marks better matched to their externals. like "hey that kid was a lazy turd and only got 75 but he/she is really bright and will probably get 95 for their externals, so we should just drag their internal up a bit". I know that if the teacher gives the whole class an extra ten points this would make no difference, but what about when they only give some people the extra marks because they haven't done well in internal but will do well in external. I'm quite sure this happens atleast a little and my question is: are our teachers really allowed to do this? It seems unfair.

Another related question: Should our raw internal mark be the sum of all our wieghted internal assesments?- this is what I would've thought.

Any help would be appreciated.
why would a teacher risk their jo 4 a student they do somtimes change mark is an easyer or hard test 2 better illistrate were u r at, but they do not send mark 2 the board of studies, they send rankings and the ored give u an internal mark based on the performance of ur school in that subject and ur rank.. i.e a boy get 90% in a HSC test and comes 1st in his internal rank. if the school is like realy good at that subject and the student stuffed up in his HSC they would mabey give him an assesment mark off 95+. this student skool might be good because they set realy hard test, and he gets like 85-90 in these, so his skool may have him as getting an assesment mark of 87 but that would be unfair because at another skool they might have easy test and they get 95+ easly, so they dont take in2 account raw marks, just skool performance and rank. if they change the rank that is illegal

fleepbasding

HSC TUTOR
HSC
JamiL said:
why would a teacher risk their jo 4 a student they do somtimes change mark is an easyer or hard test 2 better illistrate were u r at, but they do not send mark 2 the board of studies, they send rankings and the ored give u an internal mark based on the performance of ur school in that subject and ur rank.. i.e a boy get 90% in a HSC test and comes 1st in his internal rank. if the school is like realy good at that subject and the student stuffed up in his HSC they would mabey give him an assesment mark off 95+. this student skool might be good because they set realy hard test, and he gets like 85-90 in these, so his skool may have him as getting an assesment mark of 87 but that would be unfair because at another skool they might have easy test and they get 95+ easly, so they dont take in2 account raw marks, just skool performance and rank. if they change the rank that is illegal
You have a seriously misinformed understanding of the procedures involved in the alignment of internal marks.

Lwaxana

Betazed Ambassador
HSC
N/A
so much confusion
1. teachers send in final rank and final mark
2. we arent suppose to tell you mark - just rank
3. through the process of assessment - since you know what percentage each is worth and what mark you got for it - students are capable of working out their final mark - and if you bother to keep track of what your fellow class mates got - you could work out their final mark and confirm your ranking is accurate
4. so based on above any rank tampering is fraught with the risk of being caught out

I find it hard to believe any teacher would tamper with the marks of an individual to alter rankings after the event (how they were initally marked is always an issue).
The "tweaking" of marks so you dont have equally ranked students - well thats another issue.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)