Teachers (1 Viewer)

Carla2003

HSC
are teachers supposed to write notes and give us work or are they allowed to just give you the syllabus and tell you to have the topic finished by end of term??

braindrainedAsh

Journalist
HSC
Umm, I think they are supposed to TEACH you.... ie explain things, give notes and information lol. Sounds like you have a dodgy teacher if they just do that!

Carla2003

HSC
yeah well a few of my teachers do that but I guess its too late to do anything about it now hey.

Juliet

HSC
Some teachers don't know what they are meant to be teaching!!!

iambored

dum-di-dum
HSC
theyre meant 2 teach u but if theyre running behind they tell u 2 finishe it by the end of the term

Constip8edSkunk

Joga Bonito
HSC
most smart ppl dun bcome hschool teachers and those that do cant really communicate well enuf 2 teach.... so yeah... *regrets not getting any tutoring*:(

MiuMiu

Somethin' special....
HSC
I disagree with u, skunk, I have some wonderful teachers who really love what they are teaching, are incredibly smart and actually love their job. I agree there are some that only teach because they had nothing else to do, and I don't think those type of ppl should be given senior classes, but you can't expect everything to be handed to you on a silver platter. That is why the syllabus is readily available on the BoS site and if you don't feel you are getting the info at school take the initiative and find it for yourself. If you need help you can always go and ask the teacher to explain something more fully AND THEN if they are useless thats when you go and speak to your headteachers and stuff.

Butterfly_Wings

Cornflake Girl
HSC
It's hard to say whats good and bad when it comes to teaching...I know that we all hated the way out Modern History teacher taught us in year 11 and 12, because she didn't follow the syllabus and spoon-feed us information like all our other teachers did. She taught us heaps of different aspects that weren't a part of the syllabus, and just expected us to actually use some initiative and prepare for exams ourselves, through our own research, and we never really knew if we were doing things "the right way", or not. We were always miles behind, and there was heaps of things that we simply did not get around to in class.
Had she actually had gone through the syllabus points and told us exactly we needed to know and left it at that, we probably all could have done a lot better in the HSC. But I think I would also understand and appreciate what we learned a lot less. So-was she a good teacher, or a bad teacher? At first I couldn't stand her teaching the way she did, and maybe it really wasn't up to her to decide to go off on tangents like that, but I think she was the best high school teacher I had, even if I didn't do too crash-hot in history.

Last edited:

MiuMiu

Somethin' special....
HSC
Yeah theres also a difference between whether or not you like your teacher and their actual teaching ability. Like Im not to fond of my history teacher as a person, but he's a brilliant teacher who we a very lucky to have.

Constip8edSkunk

Joga Bonito
HSC
you must be extraordinarily lucky year 12... or maybe its just our school that seems to have an excess of incompetent teachers....:\

MiuMiu

Somethin' special....
HSC
Oh, don't get me wrong, we have our fair share of no-hopers in the way of teachers, but I mostly do either humanities or English, and we have excellent humanities & English teachers (also, Im very lucky in my own personal combination of teachers)
Most of the science department are freaks (you can really tell why they're science teachers), TAS are pretty well hopeless, and PE are all quite young and inexperienced (not to say they're bad teachers or anything)

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)