Teaching at UNSW or UWS (1 Viewer)

HSC
It is unlikely that I will get into sydney for secondary teaching, so please post advantages and disadvantages of UNSW teaching faculty vs UWS.

Iruka

HSC
N/A
UNSW never does any more practicum than the bare minimum required by the NSW Institute of Teachers. And they do it really late in the course in one big block at the end of 4th year.

Have you considered some of the other unis as well? I think ACU and Uni of Wollongong have a good reputation for teaching.

HSC
Thanks for the info guys. Yes, I have considered Wollongong but the location is a major drawback for me, unfortunately. I have heard bad things about UNSW teaching but I don't know much about UWS at all.

Gay Captain

HSC
eww

that'd be enough to turn me off UNSW, you can't tell if you really want to do it until you're almost finished the degree :eek:

we do 18 weeks of prac all up at my uni, starting in 2nd year... not in Sydney though

In the end, the theory behind teaching is still the same.
more like in the end, the theory behind teaching depends on the work of the particular academics in your faculty who love to push/promote their own work in undergraduate lectures

Iruka

HSC
N/A
Yeah, teaching at UNSW is real bad. And not about to get better in a hurry, either. The other half of the double degree might be OK, though. You could also consider UTS - I don't know much about their teaching degree. And MacQuarie is supposed to be particularly good at special ed, if that's an area you are interested in.

Nebuchanezzar

Banned
HSC
I thought that the structure of the faculty/school at UNSW was a little iffy, and getting information on the degree structure was a little difficult.

Hope that helped.

AsyLum

Premium Member
HSC
N/A
Where do you live?

And we're getting a train station soon...

AsyLum

Premium Member
HSC
N/A
Hmm yeah that is a fair hike.

Well, its an option I guess, good luck

Davo1111

HSC
N/A
I don't think much of UWS, so it's pretty much decided.

Have you thought about Notre Dame ? They have a campus in syd that has a large section dedicated to teaching. And alot of people get in through interview, not UAI

spence

HSC
I was considering secondary teaching for a while, and ACU seemed to be the best option. And its only in strathfield which isn't too far away

HSC
Davo1111 said:
I don't think much of UWS, so it's pretty much decided.

Have you thought about Notre Dame ? They have a campus in syd that has a large section dedicated to teaching. And alot of people get in through interview, not UAI
I'm too late for Notre Dame :( They don't do application through UAC, it is a personal thing which I've missed.

HSC
If you're thinking about Notre Dame, call them anyway and explain that you missed the closing date for applications, but would still like to be considered. They still have the "apply now" sign significantly placed on their website.

Actually...
Read page three of this:
http://www.nd.edu.au/downloads/2009 Sydney Campus Admissions Guide.pdf
According to this, you can still apply for late round until 6th Feb. And for something like teaching, its unlikely that all of the places are going to fill in the main round.
Either way, still submit an application to UNDA if you are interested.

HSC
babikakez said:
If you're thinking about Notre Dame, call them anyway and explain that you missed the closing date for applications, but would still like to be considered. They still have the "apply now" sign significantly placed on their website.

Actually...
Read page three of this:
http://www.nd.edu.au/downloads/2009%20Sydney%20Campus%20Admissions%20Guide.pdf
According to this, you can still apply for late round until 6th Feb. And for something like teaching, its unlikely that all of the places are going to fill in the main round.
Either way, still submit an application to UNDA if you are interested.
Thanks, much appreciated :)

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)