Teaching Yr 11 and 12 in the one class (1 Viewer)

aurel

HSC
This year at my school, they're putting the prelim and hsc economics classes together coz the prelim class is too small. Has anyone ever heard of this happening or had this happen to them?

Personally, i dont see how its practical, but our teacher has told us that we get another teacher on a "regular" basis...

Any thoughts?

insert-username

Wandering the Lacuna
HSC
A few years ago my school had combined Year 11/12 classes for Chemistry and Economics, off the top of my head. It's not actually that bad - you get less teacher time because they have Year 11 and Year 12 stuff to work on, but the class is smaller anyway, so the teacher has more time to work with each student. It's not as good as a sole Year 11 or 12 class, but it's not all bad if the class is small. In any case, if you guys work hard enough, there's no reason why you shouldn't do well at the HSC. :)

I_F

Last edited:

hopeles5ly

Take Me Higher.
HSC
N/A
nope, never had a class like that. i would find it a bit strange though ..

hammy

HSC
ya our school was going to do that we already have it for the yr 9/10 electives... in a way i wish they had of done it for 11/12 too, I'm doing subjects by distance ed and it would be so much easier doing it in a class. but the down side is that you would be getting harder on the students and teachers. for the students not getting the required attention especially for the HSC, and the teachers having to teach 2 classes at once. i hope it works out for you though...good luck

Wooz

^wooz*y^
HSC
aurel said:
This year at my school, they're putting the prelim and hsc economics classes together coz the prelim class is too small. Has anyone ever heard of this happening or had this happen to them?

Personally, i dont see how its practical, but our teacher has told us that we get another teacher on a "regular" basis...

Any thoughts?
Nope, at my school the economics class was cancelled because not enough people wanted to do it.

Dreamerish*~

Love Addict - Nakashima
HSC
They cancelled a subject?

The German Extension class at my school had only 6 people, which was relatively small. When we went to our HSC written exam we spoke to several other G.E. students and some of them are the only ones in their classes. It depends on the school whether small classes are combined or not.

Personally I don't think it's beneficial for either half. The time within one lesson is divided by half, so neither grade recieve the number of hours they're supposed to recieve. It's especially a bad idea in senior years.

Don't be too worried though, be warned that you should best rely on your own motivation. Teach yourself at home with a textbook and dig up past papers. Ask your teachers for exercises.

Even though my Chemistry class wasn't mixed, we still couldn't rely on a teacher who was out of class and away more than she should have been. But in the end, three of the only six band-six kids happened to have been taught by her.

HSC
I have a combined year 11 and 12 spanish class. it was great when i was in year 11 as the teacher taught the entire year 12 syllabus and therefore making this year that much easier. I think its a good idea.

orange_blob

Caveman
HSC
hang on, isn't it against the rules to teach yr 12 work to yr 11s, unless they are accelerated or whatever.

Cos, last year my business studies teacher would occassionaly suggest questions for us to ask when he wanted to talk about something not covered in the prelim syllabus, as he has to answer a direct question on it.

wouldn't any yr 11 in a 11/12 class get an unfair advantage from their prolonged exposure to the HSC work?

silvermoon

caffeine fiend
getting the blood out of my caffeine system
HSC
one would assume that it wouldn't actually be of much benefit, since the stuff they might/could possibly hear they probably wouldn't understand, having not yet done the prelim course. the 'no teaching yr 12 course in prelim year' stuff is really aimed at the end of yr 11, when you have the gap between the end of the exams and the start of yr 12, where teachers don't really have anything to teach except the yr 12 syllabus

orange_blob

Caveman
HSC
I understand the purpose behind the rule, and I agree with the idea that it wouldn't nessecarily be helpful, but it couldn't hurt.

And some obviously find it helpful:
euskadi_warrior said:
making this year that much easier.
But, whatever. I s'pose that that is what the HSC is all about, putting yourself in the position to have as many advantages over others as posible. In the end the results represent so much more than academic ability, as to get good marks you don't need to start off super smart, sure it helps, but you just need to know how the system works and dedicate yourself to it.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)