Teaching (1 Viewer)

kattys

HSC
Could someone please tell me .. that if i accept enrolment for primary education at Notre dame uni, as it is Catholic, would this have any effect when i graduate with regards to gaining employment at a school of another denomination?
I have been wondering this for a while.. any feedback would be greatly appreciated!!
Thanks!

cem

Premium Member
HSC
N/A
kattys said:
Could someone please tell me .. that if i accept enrolment for primary education at Notre dame uni, as it is Catholic, would this have any effect when i graduate with regards to gaining employment at a school of another denomination?
I have been wondering this for a while.. any feedback would be greatly appreciated!!
Thanks!

My best response to this is that I teach at an Anglican School and we often employ people from the Catholic University (although not yet from Notre Dame).

So long as you are prepared to support the religious ethos of the school in question there should be no problem. You may find that there is the opportunity at Notre Dame to do a course in teaching Religious Ed. If so do it as it opens the door to teaching in Catholic Schools where most teachers are able to teach RE. At my place that isn't necessary but many of our teachers have that qualification anyway.

grkpride07

HSC
hii katty and to evry1 else wanting to do an education degree at N.T!

i just wanted to warn evry1 before making their decision about attending this university, that it is not yet accredited which means you cannot yet gain employement in the public sector. i have called the dept. of education to prove.
So please evry1 before making this final decision, ring up urself and do ur research! I'm saying this from experience as i was very interested in this uni.

goodluck!!

smely

HSC
Hey,

don't worry about the whole accrediation thing... by the time you graduate all the courses will be accredited... their law degree is and im pretty sure the primary course was accredited last year...

as for being employed based on your uni.... they wont really look at your uni unless you teach in catholic schools..in that case notre dame will be an advantage... when you do your prac teaching you will find out that the catholic primary and secondary schools only accept prac students from catholic universities.. ie: notre dame and ACU...

best of luck!

grkpride07

HSC
smely said:
Hey,

don't worry about the whole accrediation thing... by the time you graduate all the courses will be accredited... their law degree is and im pretty sure the primary course was accredited last year...

as for being employed based on your uni.... they wont really look at your uni unless you teach in catholic schools..in that case notre dame will be an advantage... when you do your prac teaching you will find out that the catholic primary and secondary schools only accept prac students from catholic universities.. ie: notre dame and ACU...

best of luck!

helloo there,

accredition means recognition by govt. basiically; without this you cannot get a job. they do say they will gain accreditation by the end of this year. However they have been opened for some years now.. why havent they gained it as yet?? Also, education dept. told me that they submitted their program, but did not meet their standard. So they are currently trying agen. All i'm saying is why waste your time, effort and money on saomething that may not happen when you can go to UWS for example, who are accredited and are known for years. In addition, they are 2nd in the state for their education dept.

best of luck
stella

kokoro86

HSC
grkpride07 said:

i just wanted to warn evry1 before making their decision about attending this university, that it is not yet accredited which means you cannot yet gain employement in the public sector. i have called the dept. of education to prove.
So please evry1 before making this final decision, ring up urself and do ur research! I'm saying this from experience as i was very interested in this uni.

goodluck!!
FYI, Notre Dame has a great presence already in the community since students have been doing pracs.... The schools that have had prac teachers in have basically said they would offer positions to nd students if the places came up. it really annoys me when people dis a new uni, all new universities have to become accredited, not just nd, it takes time... if you dont like it when you get there, transfer out. as a student at nd, i have extreme pride in being one of the first students, and i was aware when i applied that they were not accredited, but it is something that takes time.... :headbang::headbang:

roadcone

HSC
grkpride07 said:

goodluck!!
nothing to worry about at all. they'll graduate you out of the WA campus - which has all its accreditations.

HSC
My religion teacher did his education degree at Notre Dame, and has taught in Baptist and Lutheran schools.
He did study at the fremantle campus though.

EDIT: I'm not sure if this is the case, but it may be that accreditation can only be given upon the first group of graduating students. However, I did read this regarding another course at a different uni, so this may not apply for Notre Dame's education course.

Last edited:

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)