Teaching... (1 Viewer)

Jazz Man Tim

Cannonball
HSC
Im not looking for a teacher. :p
but im wondering if anyone on here actually gives lessons to others. i Know trumpet geek might be? considering the thread she created... but yea, any success with it? we should all be able to, at least up to grade 5ameb or something.. :D

I have a couple of friends who do this and they earn a fair bit...

ujuphleg

oo-joo-fleg
HSC
I've had a couple of students in the past, but I find that teaching isn't my thing. I'm a pretty average performer and player myself but I know others who are also average but make great teachers.

So more important is the patience and the ability to explain yourself I suppose. Plus, sometimes when you've been playing for too long, its hard to explain something that you do innately. I found that to be a big problem when teaching piano - because I've been learning since I was 4 and a half, there was heaps of stuff that I was doing automatically and didn't teach well.

Jazz Man Tim

Cannonball
HSC
oh i see :) yea that makes sense...
i don't think i'd have the patience.. but maybe its worth a try lol.
how much were u charging per 30 mins?

moon_styla

[16527th BoS member]
HSC
im teaching piano at the moment.. but err i dont have any students LOL!!! i've put in ads and that for those who might be interested but i've only had 2 calls.

i was thinking of teaching at a piano school (a school where someone hires many teachers to work for them at a place with pianos) but they dont pay much.. :(

i think just teaching privately is the way to go! hehe

does anyone know people who might wanna learn piano? :D il teach em well hehe

absolution*

ymyum
HSC
I find it helps if you get tutored yourself so you can just regurgitate the same stuff when teaching as you did whilst learning.

alien

HSC
lol i used to take lessons but quit for the hsc. some of my friends teach. they charge like $25 per hour or $20 and hour, something big.
lol yesterday i picked up my grade 5 stuff, it was really easy but i haven't played for months and my techniques gone bad so i strained my pinkie :( right in the joint :( so now i won't be able to play for a few weeks
EDIT: i'm talking piano

JoeysBoy

HSC
Wanted to get this thread started up again! Does anyone know what level (ameb) grade a decent teacher has to be? I've heard you have to be around 6th grade to get your teaching certificate but this is pretty old now...

bEAbEA

HSC
I think you have to have done grade 8 to sit for the proffessional certificate to teach - but I'm not sure. What about amus a and elmus?
I teach flute, and I'm only in grade 6, but grade 8 piano - so I know more on theory. If you aren't proffessional, I don't think it matters because as long as your student is happy (and their parents are!!!) it shouldn't be an issue, as long as you feel confident in teaching them

JoeysBoy

HSC
Thats crazy! Grade 8?! Tho my old teacher told me she was at grade 8 level by the time she was 10 years old... lol? Tho she was taught by this godly Cellist (He composed one of the pieces set in the 4th grade AMEB book... forget what its called but it starts off with a C and three double stopped quavers on the D string and C on the A string... I think its about 160 Bpm... not sure if thats any help) from the age of 7 onwards and started playing when she was 5.

Tho Bunny... do you think that like a grade 6 Cello (which hopefully I'll be at by the end of the year) could really teach the propper technique? Like the bow hold, the wrist, arm movements, etc... And did you get at least minimal training to teach Cello?

Emma-Jayde

Muahahahaha
HSC
I teach singing..well I did until I moved a couple of months ago. I teach classical and musical theatre stuff mostly, not popualr singing. I've done 1st concert certificate and grade 6 Trinity exams, about grade 7 AMEB equivalent

Last edited:

Bunny04

VIVE LA FRANCE
Well for starters, Australia, NSW, Sydney- and fin
HSC
JoeysBoy said:
Tho Bunny... do you think that like a grade 6 Cello (which hopefully I'll be at by the end of the year) could really teach the propper technique? Like the bow hold, the wrist, arm movements, etc... And did you get at least minimal training to teach Cello?
Yeah, the reason why i got to start teaching was cause my teacher was leaving for overseas for a while and she didn't want to leave her students so she coached me for about 4 weeks- i had to show up to their lessons with my my old teacher, and then started with them.. so yeah a bit of trainning - ^_^ ... 6th grade.. well it really depends wether you think your ready to teach yet, im sure at that level you are proficent enough to start beginners- (just the basics you should be able to teach) - but i don't know since i started teaching after 8th grade/ amus ^_ ^ tee ehe talk to a teacher or something about it

soulshine

HSC
i teach piano and clarinet. piano quite a low standard, but clarinet from beginners to about AMEB grade 5. I've never put any kids through exams. I think i really do undercharge. But I dunno... i feel like i'm not good enough to charge more than i do...

timyates_87

Hello.
HSC
moon_styla said:
how much do u charge?
moon, it depends on where you are like if your in a crap area like phantical the most you could charge would be like 15 bucks a half hour but i would say genreally you should be charging a minimum of 20 bucks a half hour and as your experience with teahcer develops so does your price :p

teaching is good and easy money but DAMN it can be frustrating!!

does anyone know if you are allowed to put students through AMEB exams if you dont have your teaching certificate?

freakcore

HSC
yeah i used to do piano and musicianship tutoring but i was always worried i wasn't teaching them correctly. not because i didn't know my stuff but when i first started playing i had this really dodge teacher who taught me all this crap that was totaly wrong and before i actually got anywhere with my music i had to unlearn all this rubbish that he said was top notch piano technique.
in short i didn't want to screw with their heads in any way. the musicianship was heaps easier to teach than piano tho, thats my opinion.

soulshine

HSC
moon_styla said:
how much do u charge?
sorry this is a bit delayed. but i charge only $12.50 for half and hour. i think i should be charging at least $15.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)