• Want to help us with this year's BoS Trials?
    Let us know before 30 June. See this thread for details
  • Looking for HSC notes and resources?
    Check out our Notes & Resources page

team unsw! (1 Viewer)

implicity

HSC
Raginsheep said:
There were a couple so she ain't that special.

There was a blond chick at the actuarial table asking about combining it with maths as far as I could hear....instant brownie pts :D
That would've been me lol ... B Comm/ B Sci - I'm planning to major in Actuarial Studies and Maths/Stats with a minor in Comp sci :D

Last edited:
HSC
implicity said:
That would've been me lol ... B Comm/ B Sci - I'm planning to major in Actuarial Studies and Maths/Stats with a minor in Comp sci :D
she's mine too! go away!!

PiGMAN

HSC
unless i've already mentioned this in this thread,

Beng(electrical) on co-op

Name: Marc
High School: Caringbah High
1st sem: higher maths1a, higher phys1a, intro to eng, comp1911
Other: cya there?

Last edited:

chloe169

finance yo
HSC
Minai said:
Here's a cool experiment for you to do when uni starts.

During your first few accounting lectures, look around the theatre (should be about 300 or so), sit up the back and count how many blond/brown heads you see :)
sounds like an awesome way to fail accounting. thanks for the tip! :)

Raginsheep

HSC
implicity said:
lol....now I feel slightly stalkerish...

How do you combine those majors and the comp sci minor? As far as I can see, the Actu/Maths comb is pretty restricted and the only options avaliable are what maths course you're going to do.

Casmira said:
she's mine too! go away!!
How bout a duel at dawn? Winner takes all.

implicity

HSC
Raginsheep said:
lol....now I feel slightly stalkerish...

How do you combine those majors and the comp sci minor? As far as I can see, the Actu/Maths comb is pretty restricted and the only options avaliable are what maths course you're going to do.
Well, I was kinda hoping to do a comp sci minor.. since a minor consists of 4 courses, right? (correct me if I'm wrong!) I'd probably do something with programming/networking, however ... now that I look at it again, I doubt I'll end up touching the CompSci faculty at all, since most of the computing-related courses that would interest me are in the Maths faculty.. namely MATH3411 and MATH2400 :D

Raginsheep

HSC
Cool subs but they don't give you a comp sci minor....(do they?). Im kinda disappointed bout the lack of options that I can take from the commcerce faculty with the actu/maths program.

implicity

HSC
Raginsheep said:
Cool subs but they don't give you a comp sci minor....(do they?). Im kinda disappointed bout the lack of options that I can take from the commcerce faculty with the actu/maths program.
Awesome you're doing Comm/Sci too? :)

I don't really mind that there aren't too many options from commerce, since I'm planning to complete all Part I and II courses for Actuarial anyway and that's a good 100+ units. I bet I'll be trying to fill up my uoc for maths though lol.
Are you sticking with:

ACCT1501 Accounting and Financial Management 1A
ECON1101 Microeconomics 1
MATH1151 Mathematics for Actuarial Studies and Finance 1A
MATH1081 Discrete Mathematics

...for first semester? I don't think we have a choice in changing MATH1081..

Raginsheep

HSC
Well, I heard comp skills is pretty useful as is enjoying computers considering most actuaries I know sit infront of the comp all day and complain about being a plank of wood! Therefore any comp sci is probably going to be helpful. Either that or finance for me but there's no space to do it :(

I'm not sure but you might be able to swap comp1911 with maths 1081 but it won't make that much of a difference. Yeah, Im sticking with the plan in the little green book.

Last edited:

gman03

HSC
MATH1081 = Solving the Travelling salesperson question on how to save air fares.
COMP2091 = How to solve that question with computer rather than pen/paper.

:)

Raginsheep

HSC
Its compulsory....what can I do about it?

Does discrete really go over 4 days?

Last edited:

redslert

yes, my actual brain
HSC
implicity said:
...for first semester? I don't think we have a choice in changing MATH1081..
Yes you do have a choice, Discrete is offered in both sessions and it isn't a requirement (pre-requisite) for any particular course which you might take later on. If it is compulsory, you just have to take the course in later years. I would do this because discrete is six hours a week and MATH1151/1251 is already six hours a week, you can do it later when you don't have as much hours at uni with out commerce three hours a week courses.

Also take note that Discrete Maths is extremely easy in comparison to MATH1151/1251. You probably cover more things in one hour of MATH1x51 than in an entire week of Discrete, so you can possibly skip the lectures as all the notes are on the web. This is up to you, but you must attend tutorials as they are compulsory. But past statisics have shown that around 20-25% of students each semester fails Discrete maths, some have been known to fail multiple times, but being actuarial students you better not fail Discrete.

Yes discrete may go over four days depending on how you choose your timetable. It is four hours of lectures and two hours of tutorials.

Last edited:

Raginsheep

HSC
What would you recommend then? The lady at the actuary table yesterday seemed to suggest that it was compulosry. I tried talking to the maths people but the line was so bloody long and in the end, I had to leave because of an appointment elsewhere.

Can I call the maths department this week or do I need to wait until the info-session thats on during O-week?

implicity

HSC
Raginsheep said:
What would you recommend then? The lady at the actuary table yesterday seemed to suggest that it was compulosry. I tried talking to the maths people but the line was so bloody long and in the end, I had to leave because of an appointment elsewhere.

Can I call the maths department this week or do I need to wait until the info-session thats on during O-week?
Here http://www.maths.unsw.edu.au/students/current/ugactuarialprograms.html it mentions that:
"The Level 1 and 2 Mathematics courses (except MATH2931) are compulsory and the others are strongly recommended."

I'll probably just stick with the plan too, but it sucks how MATH1151 and MATH1081 are on Monday-Thursday :( I wanted a day off in between.

ace

is retired
HSC
implicity said:
Well, I was kinda hoping to do a comp sci minor.. since a minor consists of 4 courses, right? (correct me if I'm wrong!) I'd probably do something with programming/networking, however ... now that I look at it again, I doubt I'll end up touching the CompSci faculty at all, since most of the computing-related courses that would interest me are in the Maths faculty.. namely MATH3411 and MATH2400 :D
MATH2400 - Finite Mathematics, isn't very computing-related. You mainly focus on modular arithmetics, solving linear equations in various Zn, Fermat's Theorem, Euler's Theorem, Polynomials under different moduli, Finite Fields and a brief touch up on Error-correcting codes. Maybe the closest thing to computing is the last part on correcting codes, but that would be stretching it.

I suggest, do a programming course (it'll be more fun) instead of just more maths :)

Last edited:
HSC
ace said:
MATH2400 - Finite Mathematics, isn't very computing-related. You mainly focus on modular arithmetics, solving linear equations in various Zn, Fermat's Theorem, Euler's Theorem, Polynomials under different moduli, Finite Fields and a brief touch up on Error-correcting codes.
Oh yeh, totally learnt that shit in general maths

Raginsheep

HSC
ace said:
MATH2400 - Finite Mathematics, isn't very computing-related. You mainly focus on modular arithmetics, solving linear equations in various Zn, Fermat's Theorem, Euler's Theorem, Polynomials under different moduli, Finite Fields and a brief touch up on Error-correcting codes. Maybe the closest thing to computing is the last part on correcting codes, but that would be stretching it.

I suggest, do a programming course (it'll be more fun) instead of just more maths :)
Too bad theres not that option unless it comes under maths....

§eraphim

Strategist
HSC
N/A
Raginsheep said:
Too bad theres not that option unless it comes under maths....
do some numerical computing - math3101, math3311, math2301

sunjet

Hip-Hop Saved My Life
HSC
name: justen
degree: 1st year b. com/eco (2006)
high school: marcellin college randwick (2005)
subjects (semester 1 2006): econ1101, econ1102, fins1612, acct1501

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)