Technique Help - TMD (1 Viewer)

alxj

HSC
Hey guys,

My school is using The Motorcycle Diaries as our first text for Discovery. I'm trying to find textual references to include in my essay and I've noticed something distinct in how the narrator writes:

"At night after the exhausting games of canasta, we would look out over the immense sea, full of white-flecked and green reflections, the two of us leaning side by side on the railing, each of us far away, flying in his own aircraft to the stratospheric regions of his own dreams."
"I know this, I see it printed in the night sky that I, eclectic dissembler of doctrine and psychoanalyst of a dogma, howling like one possessed, will assault the barricades or the trenches, will take my bloodstained weapon and, consumed with fury, slaughter any enemy who falls into my hands."
He (Che Guevara) uses lengthy sentences throughout the book, and I was wondering what - if any, the formal name for that technique is called.

Cheers :)

teridax

HSC
N/A
Accumulation.

That's listing certain things after each clause.

alxj

HSC

Fiction

HSC
"At night after the exhausting games of canasta, we would look out over the immense sea, full of white-flecked and green reflections, the two of us leaning side by side on the railing, each of us far away, flying in his own aircraft to the stratospheric regions of his own dreams."
- accumulation
- metaphor
- contrast (of distance)

etc

"I know this, I see it printed in the night sky that I, eclectic dissembler of doctrine and psychoanalyst of a dogma, howling like one possessed, will assault the barricades or the trenches, will take my bloodstained weapon and, consumed with fury, slaughter any enemy who falls into my hands."
- simile
- metaphor

and yeah. I wouldn't recommend using a technique that would actually require you to type up all those quotes, just because a quote isn't meant to be that long.

If you have to, you could always just say complex sentences. Like what people above have said, alternativley you can look around at literarydevices.net - it's a good website, but take care not to overload on techniques no one has ever heard of.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)