Technique in "Who controls the past controls the future. Who controls the present controls the past" (1 Viewer)

Greninja340

HSC
What is technique is used in "Who controls the past controls the future. Who controls the present controls the past", and what effect does that have

jojosiwa123

HSC
In general, you should stray away from advanced techniques like antimetabole as a lot of markers do not even know what that is and will ignore it
I kind of think the opposite... if you use a weird or unique technique the marker probs won't know what it is and you'll get away with it even if it's wrong

jojosiwa123

HSC
btw aphorism could be used for this one- a general truth

violetcombe

HSC
Parallelism?

Or you could talk about the way an abstract concept like 'the past' is being given object-like qualities through the use of proprietary language
So 'the past' is no longer intangible and plural, its just one object that can be controlled and owned

Last edited:

LoanWoolfq

HSC
whats the technique in, 'i am out of breath in this fond chase' in response to a lovers journey?

violetcombe

HSC
whats the technique in, 'i am out of breath in this fond chase' in response to a lovers journey?
Assuming its not a literal chase...then I guess a metaphor. Likening a romantic pursuit to a physical pursuit, which suggests the pain and effort associated with the emotional game of love.

sleepypanda232

HSC
chiasmus is AB-BA, antimetabole is AB-BC
I don't think it's either chiasmus or antimetabole, I think it's something called epanalepsis - with the repetition of "control....past". It's a bit of a difficult one and combines a lot of techniques. And to add to the advanced technique discussion, I definitely think it's best to use advanced techniques – as long as you understand what they are and their effect on the text's meaning:)

Jarjarbinx

Subjects: English (4u), Maths (3u), Drama, Music 1
HSC
What is technique is used in "Who controls the past controls the future. Who controls the present controls the past", and what effect does that have
oxymoron creates a paradox !! alludes to doublethink

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)