technique? (1 Viewer)

popsmokeswife

HSC
anybody have a technique for

“You will not use me! I am no Sarah Good or Tituba, I am John Proctor! You will not use me! It is no part of salvation that you should use me!”

thanks so much

jimmysmith560

Le Phénix Trilingue
HSC
Uni Grad
There is a multitude of techniques that are applicable to this quote. Upon first glance, one can notice the repetition of "You will not use me!" Repetition is typically done to place emphasis on aspects that a writer perceives as significant and allows the reader to know when to pay special attention to the language. This repetition is coupled with the use of epistrophe through the word "me" in "You will not use me!" and "... that you should use me!" to heighten this emphasis. In focusing on those parts of the quote, one can also note the high modality, which is perhaps present to support said emphasis and to reduce any form of uncertainty with respect to the event in question.

Dramatic irony also appears to be present in this quote. This encompasses a situation where the reader or audience is made aware of information that a character(s) is not aware of, which may be done to build tension and/or suspense. In this case, John Proctor's helplessness in front of the court is showcased, although perhaps you could establish a better explanation for the implementation of this technique using your own and likely better understanding of The Crucible.

Additionally, other techniques that are applicable to this quote include:
  • Juxtaposition
  • Biblical allusion
I hope this helps! 😄

jimmysmith560

Le Phénix Trilingue
HSC
Uni Grad
thanks so much, can u please explain how biblical allusion would be used here?
I can think of two possible references here:
  1. Jesus maintaining his position in order to serve his purpose - You may be aware that Jesus endured substantial torture, the culmination of which being his crucifixion. Here, you may be able to establish a direct comparison between this quote and John Proctor's fate, and the circumstances and crucifixion of Jesus. You can suggest that there exists a similarity, given that John Proctor sacrificed his life in the name of truth, which is of a similar nature to Jesus's sacrifice.
  2. Judas and his betrayal of Jesus - This is perhaps a simpler avenue to explain the use of biblical allusion in this quote. It draws on the fact that Judas (a disciple and one of the original Twelve Apostles of Jesus) betrayed Jesus in exchange for 30 pieces of silver. John Proctor mentioning Sarah Good and Tituba and the fact that they have named names in order to save their lives (i.e. in exchange for them not dying), which is evident in "I am no Sarah Good or Tibuta" constitutes a direct reference to this particular event, and by extension, a biblical allusion. This is therefore another way in which this technique could be present in this quote.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)