Techniques for Inner Journey essay. (1 Viewer)

zxcvbnm./

HSC
hello all, i was just wondering wot techniques i should b using for an inner journey essay. Seeing as how my last essay was a total flop. I'm anxious to get some help on wot techniques should become used. ( help quickly i have the exame tomorrow =])

quinn82

HSC
what text are you studying

Firstly you need to identify the journey in your text, how is it imaginative, what qualities about it make it imaginative, then look at techniques and use them to support what your saying.
in general you should look at techniques such as characterisation, imagery, language techniques etc. these are a few good ones and more obvious to pick out in texts.
the techniques that you pick act as a back up for your argument and they're the authors'writer's eay of portraying these ideas.
make sure that your essay is structured well also, and that your ideas flow smoothly and logically.

hope this helps if you need more let me know.:wave:

Last edited:

zxcvbnm./

HSC
My texts are
-the one who goes away - sujata bhatt
- the ivory trail - victor kelleher
-fax X gwyneth lewis
-remember the titans- bonza yakin, alexander witt, joe hutchesan
- lukes way of looking - nadia whetly

your info helped heaps thanks much appriciated :)

quinn82

HSC
hey there...i haven't taught these texts before but i can give you some advice on how to adapt general techniques to fit you essay.

you need to have three ideas that you'll discuss in your essay, they should be three points that sort of summarise what you have studied as a whole for this topic, so for example, if you had a question like,
"to what extent has studying the concept of inner journeys expanded you understanding of yourself, individuals and the world" (HSC 2005), your 3 points od discussion will be about understanding 1. yourself, 2. indivusals and 3. the world.

then use various techniques to show how you have come to conclusion you have for example if your looking at characterisation, how and why is this character/s significant in terms of inner journey's? the character has been created with a purpose in mind, and if that purpose is to show how and why inner journey's are important then focus on those traits. look at what aspects of the character have been important within the poetry; how did the poet make this element clear, did the character do something specific. try and use an example or quote to support this.

next pick a related text to back this up. how has the characterisation of one of the characters in this text represented or explored an inner journey, again back it up with an example or quote.

to have a solid essay you should have three points of argument (three main ideas that you'll talk about) and within each of these points you need to look at the poems you have studied as well as a related text to support these ideas. you'll end up using one of your related texts twice.

you need to have one stimulus from the blue 'Journey's' booklet and one related text of your own.

remember, poetry is an expressive and emotive form of writing, it has the ability to portray ideas with great power and significance, this idea is translated into the concept of inner journeys, these poems have been written to express an individual's idea of inner journey and also the character's within the poetry.

hope this helps :)

LadyGodiva

HSC
hey
I have a practice essay to write by monday. d question is:
"More than anything else, inner journeys are about the challenge of self-reflection.
Do you agree? Argue your point of view.
In your answer, refer to your prescribed text, ONE text from the prescribed stimulus booklet, Journeys, and at least ONE other related text of your own choosing."
i'm totally lost!!!!!! :(

HSC
no offence, and not intending to freak you out, but if you're clueless about journeys at this stage in the eyar i would be a bit worried if i were your teacher.......

i strongly advise you to go to your teacher and sit down with him/her get some help.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)