techniques for King lear (1 Viewer)

ladyzee

IMPORTANT: techniques for King lear

i need help with Lear. if anyone can, its with looking for techniques and their effects in Act 4 Sc 6. focusing on the character of Lear.
thanks

Last edited by a moderator:

mittens

HSC
ok so does it matter what interpretation u're analysing? cause i can help u if u wanna talk about ian holme's version, soz but i didnt see the performance in the city so i cant help u with that but we also watched a verson on tv, i thnk it was an abc version or sumthin! what are you actually trying to get at?

ladyzee

okay well...im not really doing a specific interpretation...im analyzing the characters in the texts and comparing them to how they are presented in the films. For Lear and Cordelia im using the first scene and showing how their character qualities change by the end of the play, so i need techniques from Act 4 Scene 6.
im using the Ian Holmes version for these two characters and the BBC version for Goneril and Regan.
thanks soo much!

mittens

HSC
k, techniques and their effects... considering that carefully, lear enters scene 4 act 6 between lines 93 and 94, and his cue comes after edgar says his piece. he claims to be the king, and that none can touch him. clearly delirious in his anger as he has given his rule to goneril and regan. but it's his rambling of mixed emotions that casts a strange light of insanity over him. the fact that he utters random gibberish is a good indication dont u think?! he talks about his lack of authority in lines 106-112. furthermore he answers Gloucester; as Gloucester remarks at his recognition of lear's voice; reminiscing over the days when he was a king in the king's courts!... i can only recite the scenes in contemporary language as yet, im not sure how to delve into techniques but i've run out of time for the now... i'll look ointo it 4 you and i'll come up with an answer for you another time... sorry

and sorry i took so long to respond in teh first place.. things have been busy... best wishes... -mittens

ladyzee

Thanks for ur help!!!!!! i think ive got it all sorted out now...well i dont think...i do have it all sorted out!!!
thanks once again.!!!!!!!
:D

silvermoon

caffeine fiend
getting the blood out of my caffeine system
HSC
im assuming that when you said "im analysing the character's in the text" you were referring to the actual play as written by Shakepeare. if this is the case - you;ve misunderstood the module. there is no need to discuss the play in its original state. the emphasis is on how context affects the reading of the play and how this manifests itself in critical theory.

mittens

HSC
in which case, silver moon, are you saying we need know nothing about the times in which shakespear 'wrote' King Lear? we need to know nothing about the audience it was intended for? and nothing about who the modern versions aim to communicate to? so what r we ment to be doing in this area of study? cause what u said there is making no sense to me... maybe im just tired! :worried:

ladyzee

well...i was told by my tutor to discuss the actual written text, yes by Shakespeare, and then productions and compare how productions show things that aren't mentioned in the written text....and so on...like for example, in the written text there is no mention of Lear's knights misbehaving, however it is shown in productions therefore justifying Goneril's action of kicking Lear out!

superbird

HSC
Remember this is module about different productions of Lear and is not about the text itself. Yes, know the text but you don't need to know the plotline inside out.
Basically all you are required to do is analyse and evaluate various performances of Lear and how they have been adapted to suit a contemporary audience.
Example:
Nahum Tates presented a "romantic" version of Lear rather than a tragedy to suit taste of the 17th century.
Kozinstev in 1981 presented his russian version of Lear which featured violence, poverty and despair. This was a reflection of the social disintegration of Russia at the time and hence its relevance.

EDIT: Also don't forget to mention HOW they have done so. Like Kozinstev portrayed this using actual landscapes. The STC production of Lear used only 7 characters, had a bare stage because of..., theme of disguise and trickery emphasised because off.., etc etc

Last edited:

ladyzee

ok i get ya....i think...so liek if im talking bout Eyre's version i would say he is looking more at the domestic family and family ties, n the BBC version is loking more at the masculinity of women etc. etc. and if they ask about characters i would compare the two films rather than film, written text/ film, written text rite??

superbird

HSC
correct. you gotta look at how those characters are portrayed/represented in the films or plays

silvermoon

caffeine fiend
getting the blood out of my caffeine system
HSC
mittens said:
in which case, silver moon, are you saying we need know nothing about the times in which shakespear 'wrote' King Lear? we need to know nothing about the audience it was intended for? and nothing about who the modern versions aim to communicate to? so what r we ment to be doing in this area of study? cause what u said there is making no sense to me... maybe im just tired! :worried:
no, this isnt what i said at all. if you read my post properly you'll see that i said you dont need to know well the play 'in its original state' NOT you dont need to know the play in its original context. the jacobean context is of course very important - the character analysis and thematic analysis of Lear as a Shakespearian work is not.
and yes, nessie_lee, Ian Holme does play Lear in Eyre's production.

laracroft

you do need to know the play, and the importance of lnaguage in the play....language is specifically essential to refer to in both teh original and the other productions

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)