Techniques used by Jane Austen? (1 Viewer)

chardie2

Can someone please list for me some techniques used by jane Austen in the novel Emma and guide me in the direction of examples?

I really need these to strengthen my response.

Thanks so much!

p.s Good luck everyone! Can't wait till next week when English is over.

gordo

Resident Jew
HSC
well her english grammar makes it a masterpiece

though beyond that, do u mean things such as class issues, social barriers, 3rd person narrative?

or more langauge techniques?

tennille

HSC
omnicient narration, satire, dialogue...not many unfortunately.

chardie2

Thanks for replying....

Yeah it is difficult to discuss them... do you think you could talk about character archetypes for example Mr Knightley how he represents the entire upper class.

gordo

Resident Jew
HSC
knightey = knight in shining armour :)

the archetypes are definitely there, though they are hard to pick cause they are from her context

heckerlings done well to portray them in the contemporary consumerist context, maybe work backwards from there?

tennille

HSC
You could say that social status is dependent on the source of the wealth in Emma. This is represented in Mr. KNightley who earns his income from being a property owner, indicating he is part of the prominent part of hte hierarchy.

gordo

Resident Jew
HSC
yeh and augusta hawkings came from a trade slaving port and she is not socially accepted, so i guess there's an implicit refference there to wealth and how legitemately it is attained

tennille

HSC
You can contrast Knightley and the Coles to express that idea in relation to social status.

laracroft

Authorial intrusion is a good one to use....Austen makes comments highlighting the gap between the characters perceptions and reality....this is achieved in Clueless through voice over.... for example wen Cher is choosing her clothes, we see that shes choosing them from a computer, blah blah, btu cher thinks she has a 'way normal life' or wateva the quote is...

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)