techniques (1 Viewer)

DannyT23

HSC
Hey guys,
Just wanted to get some quick suggestions of what techniques to look for in the short answer part, when your asked to find them lol.. THanks in advance

Lori.

HSC
If its an image, look for anything that shows or suggests an element/concept of a journey;
- destination,
- mode of transport,
- travellers,
- obstacles
and then see how these are shown; are they brighter in colour, or black and white?
Are they really big and bold?
Is there contrast?
Overall, what makes them stand out?

If its a poem, look for
- alliteration,
- simile or metaphor,
- enjambment,
- repetition,
- imagery,
- change in tense
- rhyme scheme
(I think those are the most common from what I've seen in past papers)
Again, note what these techniques achieve, e.g. Alliteration emphasizes, enjambment conveys a sense of flow, change in tense conveys a reminiscient tone, etc. etc.

If its a short story, narrative extract, I usually look if it was written in 1st or 3rd person. 1st person is personal and involves the audience, 3rd person is more informative...well its really mostly bs i think lol

If its a newspaper article, look at the Heading, sub-heading and any accompanying images and relate to how they emphasize or express the journey.

Those are all the text types I can think of at the moment, hope that I could help

Dr_Doom

HSC
GJV said:
If its an image, look for anything that shows or suggests an element/concept of a journey;
- destination,
- mode of transport,
- travellers,
- obstacles
and then see how these are shown; are they brighter in colour, or black and white?
Are they really big and bold?
Is there contrast?
Overall, what makes them stand out?

If its a poem, look for
- alliteration,
- simile or metaphor,
- enjambment,
- repetition,
- imagery,
- change in tense
- rhyme scheme
(I think those are the most common from what I've seen in past papers)
Again, note what these techniques achieve, e.g. Alliteration emphasizes, enjambment conveys a sense of flow, change in tense conveys a reminiscient tone, etc. etc.

If its a short story, narrative extract, I usually look if it was written in 1st or 3rd person. 1st person is personal and involves the audience, 3rd person is more informative...well its really mostly bs i think lol

If its a newspaper article, look at the Heading, sub-heading and any accompanying images and relate to how they emphasize or express the journey.

Those are all the text types I can think of at the moment, hope that I could help
Thanks for this. Also you think talk about tenses? Past/present/future.?

DannyT23

HSC
Thanks heaps ay, i think u just hit the nail on the head.. Best of luck 2 u... THanks again!

passion89

HSC
Dr_Doom said:
Thanks for this. Also you think talk about tenses? Past/present/future.?

Tenses can also be a form of technique used to personalise the text OR distance the composer from the responder in hopes of achieving an aim.

I usually put down the tenses as being a technique so if nothing else jumps out at you when you read/view the texts then talk about the tense it is written in.

Lori.

HSC
I've encountered a couple of poems where the tenses switch, The Road not Taken is one of them, so you could say that it shows that the persona is reflecting on their journey...

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)