techniques (1 Viewer)

BlueGiraffe

HSC
Hey everyone,
I'm sure you all know how it inglish everything is "techniques, techniques technques", as my teacher continually reminds us.
But sometimes I'll look at a text and the same repetaive techniques come to mind. Like I can't get past imagery, descriptive language... does anyone know what I mean?
Anyway I was wondering if any of you could post some general techniques that are good to look for...
Thanks...

patty4848

HSC
Allegory: Is the text allegorical? (ie. Does every aspect of the text symbolically represent a much larger concept in society

Alliteration: Is a consonant repeated within close proximity of words in same sentence - is used to emphasis specific words which help to convey the values/meaning of the text.

Context: What is the context of the text? Try and do some background research on the author in order to gain an insight into his life (what compelled him to write such a text). Does the text effectively represent the time in which it was written (that includes the date, setting etc)

Irony: Is there anything that the reader is aware of that the characters may not know yet (dramatic irony) For example, in Othello, it is ironic that everyone refers to Iago as 'Honest Iago' - yet we know that he is anything but honest.

Language: What is the style of language? Simplistic? Formal? Colloquial. (often the style of language helps to convey the context in which it was written) For example, a poet who gives an image of Australia may often use colloquial language in order to represent the uneducated typical Australian.

Hyperbole: Is basically the exaggeration of a description (eg. I am the greatest guy to ever walk the earth)

Mood: What is the mood of the text. Does it have an emotional aura surrounding it (eg. if a text was evaluating the events of the 1990 Rwandan Genocide)

Onomatopoeia: Are there words which are spelt as sounds. (eg. BANG, Tweet, Woof) - This helps the imagery present in the poem. Not only can be imaging seeing the situation, but we can now (in a way) hear what is happening.

Paradox: Where a situation is created which cannot possibly exist, because different elements of it cancel each other out. (eg. It was the best of times, it was the worst of times)

Personification: Where inanimate objects are given the characteristics of human beings. (eg. a cranky wooden door)

When you are analysing texts, always try and figure out what the author is saying about society/individual (THEMES). Then try and locate the literary techniques evident in the text - and link these to the themes (ie. How do the techniques help to convey the themes? How do the themes and techniques add value to the text?) If you are studying something specific about society, you would then have to try and link the themes and techniques to this (ie. When studying visions of australia, I had to be able to identify the themes and techniques in the texts, and write about how they formed the authors vision of Australia, and how they create meaning.)

AND NEVER STORYTELL IN AN ESSAY. ALWAYS ASSUME THE MARKER HAS READ/VIEWED THE TEXT.

Hope this is of some use to you. Good luck!

I forgot one :)

Juxtaposition: This just refers to comparisons. Does the author compare aspects of society and individuals to each other throughout the text. When an author juxtaposes parts of society, it creates a double perspective. We are able to see not just one side of society, but also across two (sometimes more) parts of society and can make up out own mind in the end

Last edited by a moderator:

DownInFlames

Token Member
where I spend the vast majority of my time
HSC
Modality: High modality is forceful, commanding language. Uses imperatives (ie. you MUST do this, I KNOW this) whereas low modality is weaker language which subtly hints at something (Perhaps it would be a good idea to... You might think about... In my opinion...)

Antithetic Parallelism: the idea of the second clause is the converse of that of the first.

Contrast (often acheived through juxtaposition) of two concepts, ideas, values, personalities etc.

Imagery

Climax

It's a good idea to try to elevate your language as much as possible. Instead of using words like 'but', 'and', 'so', use however, thus, therefore, furthermore, in addition, hence, etc to show a higher level of language proficiency.

My english teacher gave us a list of words we could use instead of saying: "this shows that..."
- display, illustrate, convey, portray, express, communicate, impart, reveal, assert (opinion), suggest....

The beauty of this is that the word you choose will be more appropriate/ meaningful to the reader.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)