Teen Death Rocks State (1 Viewer)

your.knee

i'm lizzing
HSC
The Northern Star is a poor excuse for journalism.
They don't mention the fact that he was a new student at the school and that most of the bullying he encountered was at his old school in Sydney. Bullying happens at EVERY school, its just a tragedy that some people don't seek the proper help they need.

Nebuchanezzar

Banned
HSC
Exphate said:
Fuck man, how much do we need to do? There is already plenty of this anti-bullying crap in schools. I know, how bout, instead of teaching children, we just have anti-bullying workshops for every class of the day?
This is very, very poor reasoning. Rape is rife amongst certain African villages. Fuck man, how much more do we need to do? There's already plenty of this anti-rape crap in African nations. I know, how bout, instead of teaching rapists, we just have anti-rape workshops for every day of the week? Eh?

OH THE HUMANITY! STOP THE REEDUCATION! NUDE CONSPIRACIES!

L-esky

HSC
your.knee said:
The Northern Star is a poor excuse for journalism.
They don't mention the fact that he was a new student at the school and that most of the bullying he encountered was at his old school in Sydney. Bullying happens at EVERY school, its just a tragedy that some people don't seek the proper help they need.
exactly.
The Northern Star is the biggest pile of crap on the planet. I avoid reading it as much as possible.

HNAKXR

Wooooooo...OOOoOOOOoOOoP!
HSC
N/A
i blame the pussification of society

they should teach children in kindergarten

1) life is unfair
2) you are not special
3) nobody fucking loves you.

it is at this point i either get slapped or receive some very dirty looks.
usually a bit of both.

Slidey

But pieces of what?
HSC
How about, all of your fuck yourselves. Mutual masturbation style.

Just.Snaz

HSC
HNAKXR said:
i blame the pussification of society

they should teach children in kindergarten

1) life is unfair
2) you are not special
3) nobody fucking loves you.

it is at this point i either get slapped or receive some very dirty looks.
usually a bit of both.
I agree. Offcourse not to your brutal extent but I just don't understand why we must make children believe the world is a happy, beautiful place.

And I think some of the blame should go towards the parents. They could've been really strict and never let him hang out with friends so his social confidence would diminish and etc.

They could've done alot of other stuff too like not give him the attention and care he needs, provide encouragement, take notice that their son is feeling just a lil SUICIDAL.. just a few things..

And uh "Calls for the NSW Govt to stamp out bullying."?

LOL, cause they've had the power to actually stop the bullying and are just sitting there twiddling their fingers, waiting for another suicide, right?

AlleyCat

Singing me and Julio
HSC
its not illegal but most journalists wouldnt publicise the details of a suicide to prevent copycats.

Nebuchanezzar

Banned
HSC
Exphate said:
So, instead of just bullshitting on, are you go to find a solution? Or is this just the "lets all talk shit" game? You want to go into a whole "STOP REEDUCATION" argument, when I said nothing of the sort?

OH NOSE.

Seriously though. What more are the schools meant to do? If teachers aren't told shit is going on, what (in reality) can they do.
Bleh. Teachers don't care enough. It's a fringe issue for them. Evidently.

Schroedinger said:
Rape = Bullying.
EXPLAIN Y NOT HMM!?!?!?

your.knee

i'm lizzing
HSC
sunjet said:
I thought it was illegal to publicise suicides?
They're making the bullying aspect 'overshadow' the suicide.
But yes I don't think they could help themselves as there had been another suicide in the region just recently as well, which they didn't report on.

Wassup?

Banned
HSC
Exphate said:
You're right. Teachers don't care enough. I mean, they don't put up with the consequences of bullying in the classroom, and completely ignore a child who comes to them, stating they have been bullied. I should also mention, that the same applies in Child Protection Issues. They care even less then!

Bunch of heartless bastards we teachers are. Capitalist bastards.
Judging by your degree, aren't you going to be a 'heartless capitalist bastard'?

HSC
I think it's a little silly to put the whole blame on teachers or the education system. I have witnessed situations where it looks like teachers do not care when a form of bullying takes place, but realistically, bullying is going to take place regardless of what teachers try to do. Ultimately it just comes down to the bully.

Nebuchanezzar

Banned
HSC
Not if we shoot them.

Exphate said:
You're right. Teachers don't care enough. I mean, they don't put up with the consequences of bullying in the classroom, and completely ignore a child who comes to them, stating they have been bullied. I should also mention, that the same applies in Child Protection Issues. They care even less then!
You seriously think anywhere near a majority of bullying victims approach teachers about it? What's needed is a hardline, dead set serious approach. I'd much rather see a bully expelled than see a kid who committed suicide any day.

Bunch of heartless bastards we teachers are. Capitalist bastards.
I'm hoping by we you include myself, who will also be a teacher. :)

scarybunny

Rocket Queen
HSC
Expelled to where, though?

I think it's very difficult for teachers to keep on top of bullying today, because so much of it is done via technology, and probably with the anonymity that technology provides. All you need is a private number, a troll account or a purpose-made email address and you're very difficult for teachers to catch.

Enteebee

Keepers of the flames
HSC
We should arm all the kids likely to be bullied.

Nebuchanezzar

Banned
HSC
scarybunny said:
Expelled to where, though?
relocation of a bullying student would allieviate the effects on the victim and isolate the bully so that they would either stop bullying because it was contextual, or continue bullying in which case it could be a three strikes your out policy. I don't see why repeat offenders at schools somehow deserve an education.

exphate said:
I know that the majority of victims won't talk to teachers, which is where this whole "schools must do more" logic falls flat. How can you expel a "bully" when no-one comes forward to say "Person X is bullying me"? I much rather kids being kicked out of school than suicides, no question, but I think that a more realistic approach needs to be taken, and one that isn't just "teachers aren't doing enough!"
i'm eager to here your suggestions on how to do it then. i'm actually being serious and am not being an ass.

as to how teachers could prevent it if no-one comes foward, perhaps this is just my experience, but at my high school there wasn't exactly a lot of actively seeking out bullying. i mean, to me, it looked damn obvious but it wasn't so to teachers?

scarybunny

Rocket Queen
HSC
I wholeheartedly agree that bullies need to be dealt with, and it's a pity that the current anti-bullying policy doesn't work.

It is hard to find bullies, because they're not going to say anything, their friends aren't going to say anything, and the victim isn't going to say anything. The only indicator might be a shift in the victim's behaviour, which the teacher may or may not pick up on. I suppose the job of the teacher is to create a trusting, safe environment where students feel safe telling them that something is wrong. Bullies play on a child's self-esteem, so if teachers can build it up a bit and make them feel accepted, that will help.

I agree Exphate, PARENTS need to do their part. Try your damn best to raise a human being. If you become aware of a bullying problem, say something. Acknowledge that your child has done the wrong thing and punish them.

Ack I don't know. I wish people would just be nice to each other, but that ain't never gonna happen.

scarybunny

Rocket Queen
HSC
I wish people would just NOT have children if they don't want to put the time and effort into raising them properly.

ABORTIONS FOR ALL.
STERILISATION FOR THE STUPID.
miniature american flags for others

Faar out.

Nebuchanezzar

Banned
HSC
abortions for all!
boo
abortions for noone!
boo
abortions for some, miniature american flags for others!
yay!

exphate said:
Some teachers are completely out of touch
oh my yes. the crux of the problem.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)