TEENAGE GIRLS PLEASE FILL OUT MY IRP QUESTIONNAIRE! thankyou! :) (1 Viewer)

Status
Not open for further replies.

Wooohooo

HSC
1. How old are you? 17

2. What year are you in? 12

3. What size clothing are you? 12

4. Are you happy with the way you look? Yes

5. Are you happy with the way you feel about your body? YES (most of the time)

6. Have you ever considered yourself to be too big or too small? Yes

7. Do you follow the trends of celebrities? No

8. Do you believe that the media presents unrealistic images of celebrities in magazines and/or TV? Yes

9. Would you change anything about yourself (on the outside) if you had the chance? Yes, I would, but do you mind if I keep that private?
10. Name 3 female celebrities you look up to and why
Diane Keaton - Charismatic, personality, and still regarded as beautiful even though she has aged.
Whoopi Goldberg - funny, sense of humour, able to relate to.
Amy Lee (from Evanescence) - she is modest, proud, and a talented female rocker IMO (and there aren't that many good ones out there).

11. Have you bought clothes, makeup or cosmetics that has been endorsed by a celebrity? No.

12. Do you think most celebrities portray a positive body image for female teenagers? Why/ why not? Sometimes they can be positive, but most of the time negative - esp. Paris Hilton, Nicole Richie, Britney Spears and Lindsay Lohan. This is because those people promote unreal lifestyles, excessive drinking and substance abuse, moral issues like promiscuity, and so on.
13. Do you think there is an increasing pressure from society on teenage girls to be thin? If so, where do you think the pressure is coming from?
Yes, you see it instructed in magazines and on TV commercials, "how to lose weight", "this new diet" etc. We are bombarded by the media that promotes it.
14. 'Teenage girls who are unhappy with their own body are likely to think celebrities are thinner then they really are.' Do you agree with this statement? Why/ why not? No, I believe that teen girls who are unhappy with their body size view skinny celebs as people to aspire to, that is, they are the "normal ones". Therefore, the teen girls think they are abnormal.
15. What do you think is an ideal size for teenage girls today? Do you think this is what the media is portraying? I don't think there is an 'ideal' size - we are of varying heights, bone size, bulk, etc. so you can be a big young woman or small young woman, but not neccessarily fat or thin (just proportionately large). Of course there is such a thing as obesity and anorexia. as for 'ideal' size, basically anything that shows the ribcage tends to be ideal IMO. But that's just the media's idea of 'ideal'.
16. Do you believe that media presentation of thin female celebrity images is affecting males' attitudes towards female bodies, which is also putting increasing pressure on females to obtain the idealised body image?
No, in fact i've read in other places that the majority of males don't mind size of their female parter - they can be slightly chubby or skinny tho I don't know about every situation. I'm not a man

SiN3m

HSC
. How old are you? 17

3. What size clothing are you? 10-12 (sometimes 14)_______________________________

4. Are you happy with the way you look? No

5. Are you happy with the way you feel about your body? No

7. Do you follow the trends of celebrities? No...hardly. unless i see someone im a fan of...say Pink.

8. Do you believe that the media presents unrealistic images of celebrities in magazines and/or TV? No

9. Would you change anything about yourself (on the outside) if you had the chance? yes_______________________________________________

10. Name 3 female celebrities you look up to and why?
Pink aka Alicia Moore- because she's strong, not a grily girl, tough, and doesn't conform
Kate Blanchett (sp?) because she tries to help out the envirnoment
My head teacher of english- she's smart and funny and knows when to be strict and when to relax. she really helped my skills.

11. Have you bought clothes, makeup or cosmetics that has been endorsed by a celebrity? __yes__________________________________________

12. Do you think most celebrities portray a positive body image for female teenagers? Why/ why not?
no. as they obsess over their body, teens act likewise, the major problem being mostaverage teens don't have the money to get lypo. go to the gym every day, have a personal trainer on call 24/7 etc. They show the skinnier you are the better, _size 6 is not for everyone, and yet someone who would be a healthy 10 tries to drop another 2 sizes, just because a celeb is.

13. Do you think there is an increasing pressure from society on teenage girls to be thin? If so, where do you think the pressure is coming from?
yes definately. the media and peers who look to the media for consent to look a certain way. for girls, the pressure also comes from guys, if they speak of slightly heavier girl as being 'fat' then to be that way turns taboo.

14. 'Teenage girls who are unhappy with their own body are likely to think celebrities are thinner then they really are.' Do you agree with this statement? Why/ why not?
sometimes. someone who is unhappy with their image, would try to make everyone smaller so that they don't feel as bad about the side differnce, or as they feel bigger than they may be, everyone else seems so small and the chance of acheiving that look seem impossible.however, others would make them 'bigger' to feel better about themselves.

15. What do you think is an ideal size for teenage girls today? Do you think this is what the media is portraying? _i think ideal is 10. the media shows more size 8s but id be happy wearing 10 on my bottom, prefering 8 for my top. I'm not saying 12 is bad, but i'd prefer 10.

Do you believe that media presentation of thin female celebrity images is affecting males' attitudes towards female bodies, which is also putting increasing pressure on females to obtain the idealised body image?
yes. every male i knoe prefers the size 8-10 over a 10-12. the pressure is there because if you're not 8 or 10, then you may feel as though every male you see is calling you fat and making fun of you.

arabzuee

HSC
  • How old are you? 13 14 15 16 17 18

2. What year are you in? 7 8 9 10 11 12

3. What size clothing are you? ___8____________________________

4. Are you happy with the way you look? Yes/No

5. Are you happy with the way you feel about your body? Yes/No

6. Have you ever considered yourself to be too big or too small? Yes/No

7. Do you follow the trends of celebrities? Yes/No-not intentionally

8. Do you believe that the media presents unrealistic images of celebrities in magazines and/or TV? Yes/No

9. Would you change anything about yourself (on the outside) if you had the chance? ____i don’t thinkso___________________________________________

Julia Roberts-she doesn’t seem fake and I think shes a good actress
Natalie Portman-shes gorgeous, but doesn’t flaunt herself like a skank
Alanis Morisset-awesome voice!

11. Have you bought clothes, makeup or cosmetics that has been endorsed by a celebrity? Not intentionally, but im sure I would have somewhere along the line…

12. Do you think most celebrities portray a positive body image for female teenagers? Why/ why not? No, the image that most celebrities present is unhealthy but sexy. Every girl wants to look good, celebrities always look good by being thin… which encourages girls to become an unhealthy weight. Also, cosmetic surgery is outrageous…becoming more common in young girls, I think because of the pressure and influence of celebrities through media.

I think there is an unspoken pressure for girls to be thin. This is evident through media with all the quick ‘famous people weight loss’ methods etc. Also, a girl’s popularity with her peers is influenced by her size.

14. 'Teenage girls who are unhappy with their own body are likely to think celebrities are thinner then they really are.' Do you agree with this statement? Why/ why not? Im not sure, I know for myself that I don’t think this, and I don’t think my friends do.. but I think girls who feel overweight would probably feel even bigger when looking at the ridiculously thing (and UNHEALTHY) images of celebs.
15. What do you think is an ideal size for teenage girls today? Do you think this is what the media is portraying Its hard to answer this, as everyone’s genetics are different, some girls naturally have bigger builds than others. I probably think 8-12 is reasonably healthy and looks good. The media portrays an American size 0 so, no!
16. Do you believe that media presentation of thin female celebrity images is affecting males' attitudes towards female bodies, which is also putting increasing pressure on females to obtain the idealised body image?
YES definitely. I think girls, even thin ones, are feeling pressured and unattractive because of the ‘perfect woman’ image that is portrayed by the media… men believe this woman exists, when it is fake…grr. Gets me so mad!

jennieTalia

HSC
CELEBRITIES EFFECT ON TEENAGE BODY IMAGE QUESTIONNAIRE

Please answer the following questions. Write on the lines or circle your answer. Only circle one answer in each question. Do not write your name on this questionnaire.

1. How old are you? 13 14 15 16 17 18

3. What size clothing are you? 10-12

4. Are you happy with the way you look?
Yes/No- Sometimes

5. Are you happy with the way you feel about your body? Yes/No- see above :p

6. Have you ever considered yourself to be too big or too small? Yes/No- Dam straight

7. Do you follow the trends of celebrities?
No- Dude, celebs dress like trash!!!

8. Do you believe that the media presents unrealistic images of celebrities in magazines and/or TV? Yes/No

9. Would you change anything about yourself (on the outside) if you had the chance?
Um.... Yeah, but wouldn't we all? I wouldn't say that I would go to extremes though! I mean, I don't think I'm completely ugly, but some days you just feel like rubbish and wish you could change a few things. (jealousy is the worst feeling!, especially over something so petty)

Corinne Bailey Rae, because her music is awesome, her looks individual and she is on that against drugs thing and stuff, plus she dealt with her husbands suicide/drug overdose
Keira Knightley, because she acted really well in P&P, and thats one of my all time favourite love stories and it's dam hard to get it right
Scarlett Johanson, as she has curves and is still GORGEOUS, plus she's a smart girl.

11. Have you bought clothes, makeup or cosmetics that has been endorsed by a celebrity?
Nah, its all animal tested and slave labour crap.

12. Do you think most celebrities portray a positive body image for female teenagers? Why/ why not? _Not really, mainly because most of them end up abusing their own images and bodies, or becomming thin when they were actually beautiful before. I mean seriously, LiLo used to be heaps pretty, and now shes a drugged skeletal Paris-clone :S

Not necessarily thin, although that is certainly an issue, but just ridiculously proportioned. Male magazines present younger women as thin but still full busted objects with flawless skin. This image is unreachable for around... 96 percent of the population without body enhancement/airbrushing etc.

14. 'Teenage girls who are unhappy with their own body are likely to think celebrities are thinner then they really are.' Do you agree with this statement? Why/ why not?
I agree, mainly because often most girls can wander around asking themselves if they are seriously as big as so-and-so who is apparently the same clothing size. Its stupid anyway, because everyone is built differently, and weight/size/body type do not go hand in hand for everybody.

15. What do you think is an ideal size for teenage girls today? Do you think this is what the media is portraying?
I think that anywhere between 8 and 14 are reasonable sizes. Some people, particularly those from specific areas are more curvy or hanve different figures, so the size should cater for everybody. There is no ideal size anyway as this 'ideal size' would exclude those naturally thin, or tall or petite or curvaceous girls and would become just another projection of so-called 'perfection'. It is not what media is portraying as generally the only way to sell a product is to create a need. And that need is inadequacy!
In females minds it may. But really... sure guys like to look at girls that look like that... but even my own brother and boyfriend complain and the skeletal nature of models and even people like Angelina Jolie in her 'Beyond Borders' (awesome movie btw) who is supposedly someone who embraces her curves. I think the Baby pressure is something else that needs to be looked at!

-may-cat-

Tired Member
HSC

3. What size clothing are you? 8_______________________________

7. Do you follow the trends of celebrities? Yes/No

8. Do you believe that the media presents unrealistic images of celebrities in magazines and/or TV? Yes/No - sometimes

9. Would you change anything about yourself (on the outside) if you had the chance? yes,_______________________________________________

i dont look up to celebities. _______________________________________________________

11. Have you bought clothes, makeup or cosmetics that has been endorsed by a celebrity? ___probably, but i didnt know it at the time and thats not why i bought it_________________________________________

12. Do you think most celebrities portray a positive body image for female teenagers? Why/ why not?
i guess some do, but on the whole, no. They make out that body image equals success, which is untrue ________________________________________________________

13. Do you think there is an increasing pressure from society on teenage girls to be thin? If so, where do you think the pressure is coming from? yes, from both the media and male sexual preferences. i guess thats bias being female, but ask what bodytype men look for in their ideal woman and the majority answer is always 'skinny'

14. 'Teenage girls who are unhappy with their own body are likely to think celebrities are thinner then they really are.' Do you agree with this statement? Why/ why not? _not really, i think girls know just how underweight celebrities are and idolise this._________________________________

15. What do you think is an ideal size for teenage girls today? Do you think this is what the media is portraying? there is no 'ideal size' for teenage girls, your weight should always be subject to your height and health, it is relative specifically to the individual. i dont believe the media portrays this, but more a 'one size is healthy for all approach.' ____________________________

16. Do you believe that media presentation of thin female celebrity images is affecting males' attitudes towards female bodies, which is also putting increasing pressure on females to obtain the idealised body image? yes

captain planet.

ELLLEBAMO.
HSC
1. How old are you? 17

3. What size clothing are you? 10

4. Are you happy with the way you look? sometimes.. generally no

5. Are you happy with the way you feel about your body? no

6. Have you ever considered yourself to be too big or too small? considered myself too big.

7. Do you follow the trends of celebrities? no

8. Do you believe that the media presents unrealistic images of celebrities in magazines and/or TV? in alot of ways, yeah they do. things like airbrushing that show unnatural images that can alter perceptions of especially teenage girls. girls wanna achieve this sterotype.

9. Would you change anything about yourself (on the outside) if you had the chance? yeah, for sure. if i could be bothered, id lose weight, prob just want a toned stomach and smaller thighs.

uhh. i dont really know.

11. Have you bought clothes, makeup or cosmetics that has been endorsed by a celebrity? aww i guess. i mean everythings nowdays endorsed by a celeb but i never buy make up etc cos of the celeb endorsements.

for younger teenagers, not really. alot today are stick thin, and usually set unrealistic goals for younger teens.

media mainly. through mazagines highlighting diets that can help you lose weight quickly, bullshit like that. when i did my cafs irp like this, i found girls felt pressure from their boyfriend/the opposite sex. which i reakon is true. wanting to look for the opposite sex can pressure teenage girls, and unrealistic mags like ralph and zoo.

14. 'Teenage girls who are unhappy with their own body are likely to think celebrities are thinner then they really are.' Do you agree with this statement? Why/ why not? i guess. unrealistic views.

15. What do you think is an ideal size for teenage girls today? Do you think this is what the media is portraying? still depends on the age. 12 maybe. naa, media portrays a smaller size.

ahh for sure it is. males expect and want model bodies, generally speaking, do they not?

Virious

HSC

3. What size clothing are you? 12-14 ladies

9. Would you change anything about yourself (on the outside) if you had the chance? Other then the colour of my hair on odd occasions... no.
10. Name 3 female celebrities you look up to and why __________________________________________________ _____
__________________________________________________ _____

11. Have you bought clothes, makeup or cosmetics that has been endorsed by a celebrity? yeah

no because most celebraties have skinny bodies and show that people need to look this way when they dont.
media, friends, (somtimes) family, schools with their pressuring obesity rages and health products. guys.
yeah because they think that they are skinner then they really are so they are going to see others the same.
15. What do you think is an ideal size for teenage girls today? Do you think this is what the media is portraying?
size 10-12 ladies SHOULD be the ideal size for teenage girls, but not all media is showing this.
No because, speaking to guys some say that they dont like the "anarexia" look. i know my bf cant stand one of my best friends because she fits into a size 6 in kids and calls herself fat, and hardly eats anything.

Narni.1991

HSC

3. What size clothing are you? __10-12____

9. Would you change anything about yourself (on the outside) if you had the chance? _No i think im fine with how i am and if others dont agree thats not there problem___

Drew Barrymore - she has been through alot and has come out smelling like roses

11. Have you bought clothes, makeup or cosmetics that has been endorsed by a celebrity? _Um..no not at all ever___

Some do but others such as nicole richie portray a disgusting image to young ladies..

_Yes i believe there is and it all comes from the media

14. 'Teenage girls who are unhappy with their own body are likely to think celebrities are thinner then they really are.' Do you agree with this statement? Why/ why not? _Yes, they the celebrities look thinner because they are going through a rough stage..

15. What do you think is an ideal size for teenage girls today? Do you think this is what the media is portraying? I think between 10 - 16 is a healthy size to be within

Yes for sure...males see the likes of halle berry and think that women only look like that all the time..this not only gives the men false hpe but makes teh women feel they aren'y good enough...not everything is based on physical appearance..its the personality that counts underneath everything...

HSC

3. What size clothing are you? 10ish.

9. Would you change anything about yourself (on the outside) if you had the chance? Hell yes. Boobs.

I'm not sure.

11. Have you bought clothes, makeup or cosmetics that has been endorsed by a celebrity? no

No. Because most celebrities are stick thin, and have huge heads, when most girls bodies arent like that.

Yes. Female celebrities. All of them are really skinny, so most girls want to be that way.

14. 'Teenage girls who are unhappy with their own body are likely to think celebrities are thinner then they really are.' Do you agree with this statement? Why/ why not? Yes.

15. What do you think is an ideal size for teenage girls today? Do you think this is what the media is portraying? 10 - 14.

Yes it is.

Kami08

HSC
1. How old are you? 18

3. What size clothing are you? 8 - 10

7. Do you follow the trends of celebrities? No

8. Do you believe that the media presents unrealistic images of celebrities in magazines and/or TV? Yes

9. Would you change anything about yourself (on the outside) if you had the chance? Hahaha.. I've had anorexia, twice. So yeah, obviously!

I don't really look up to celebrities as I think they are often bad role models. I tend to look up to those that are happy with who they are and what they do. I value Alexandra Davies (Cate McMasters from All Saints) as I read a few years ago that she'd had a bad battle with depression.

11. Have you bought clothes, makeup or cosmetics that has been endorsed by a celebrity?
Not that I know of.

Personally I think it totally has to do with what you believe about yourself, and what you believe the celebrities portray. Celebrities are people just like everybody else, they just get shoved in the spot light and made a spectacle of, and get hero-worshipped by fans. Just like us, they conform to the beliefs and values of the time, and at the moment, it's a negative size model. I think it's the way that beauty and body image is presented in the media that is the problem, rather than the celebrities. They are just as messed up sometimes!

I think I answered that above, but if not, send me a PM and I'll answer it for you!

Hmm...Maybe that's what some people think. I think that it's a valid question, but if you look at celebrities that are plus-size ('Calley' from Grey's Anatomy comes to mind) they get lots of exposes and coverage on 'Why I love to be curvy' but it's portrayed quite negatively. I don't think that that really helps at all!

Probably as tiny as possible! There are size zero clothes, and I don't think that these clothes should even be made. The minimum size should be an eight, or even a six, and if you are less than that, then there would be something wrong.

Look at Marilyn Monroe and how she was worshipped for her "Size 16 curves". These days, she's the idol of overweight or plus-size women. Men are also developing eating disorders, so I think that if they are being affected in such a way, then certainly there is pressure to have the 'beautiful trophy girlfriend'.

brigittaclare

HSC
1. How old are you? 17

3. What size clothing are you? 8-10

6. Have you ever considered yourself to be too big or too small? Yes, both big and small

7. Do you follow the trends of celebrities? Yes. not the drugs part

9. Would you change anything about yourself (on the outside) if you had the chance? Yes. just my nose

10. Name 3 female celebrities you look up to and why:
Jessica Alba - she's pretty, but not stuck up
Oprah - she's passionate and a great role model for girls of all ages
Chrisette michele - best singer alive and she's not skinny

11. Have you bought clothes, makeup or cosmetics that has been endorsed by a celebrity? no, i think they are of a lesser quality.

in general, yes, because as we see these days, its not only the 'skinny' girls who make it big as celebrities, like queen latifah is just great too
but obviously some don't, and thats not good for those in society that look up to them

i think the pressure is decreasing, with all the concern arising from eating disorders and peer pressure etc.

14. 'Teenage girls who are unhappy with their own body are likely to think celebrities are thinner then they really are.' Do you agree with this statement? Why/ why not? i am indifferent to this statement, because i don't know how the perception can be altered to such a degree just because of an insecurity such as body image

i think the ideal size is 10-12, although i recognise that some girls are big-boned or have medical problems, and would require larger sizes. this is what the media is portaying

certainly, although i note that men hate the body image of some catwalk models.
overall i think we have nothing to worry about anymore in regards to body image for teenage girls.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)