Tell me how to get a band 6 in standard english please (1 Viewer)

HSC
hi,

getting band 6 in english standard is really really hard... last year, less than 1% of people in the state got a band 6 and only about 6% of people in the state got a band 5.

but i guess, if you are trying to get band 6 for english standard, it would be useful to try and get high marks in all the assessments..and try and get a final 1st place ranking for the subject. doing well in the final hsc exams is good too.

Also I think that, enjoying studying the subject is important, coz it helps u become motivated (as with other subjects too). i did english standard last year, enjoyed it, pulled off pretty good marks, and came first in my cohort. my final hsc mark for english standard was 85. So yeah i guess consistency with the marks and maintaining that first place ranking as well as enjoyment of the subject would help in getting a band 6.

If you do manage to get a band 6, thats like really good lol....even getting band 5 for it is heaps good.

I have to say though, getting a band 5 for english standard really does scale high. like im pretty sure that getting 85 for standard english would be higher scaled than getting 75 - 82 in advance. Well for me, it scaled up really well.

just my two cents :)

Good Luck !

Cheers :music:

Kujah

HSC
N/A
Well there'll always be different ways in which you will able to obtain a 'band 6'. Just simply following advice isn't going to guarantee you one - you have to put in the hard yards as well.

With Standard English, in general, practise. Practise your essays continuously, refine them and adapt them to as many questions as possible. Know your techniques and examples well, know the context of your texts and links betwen related and set texts in the modules that require you to do so eg Area of Study, Module A.

Try to get feedback from your teachers, peers and even here. Have a look at the MArker's notes to see where past students have gone wrong, and ensure that you don't do these mistakes. And since the exams don't always give you questions where your text type is an essay, practise the different types that might be offered, such as a speech, letter, conversation, article etc etc.

Thats all from the top of my mind at the moment.

HSC
Well there'll always be different ways in which you will able to obtain a 'band 6'. Just simply following advice isn't going to guarantee you one - you have to put in the hard yards as well.

With Standard English, in general, practise. Practise your essays continuously, refine them and adapt them to as many questions as possible. Know your techniques and examples well, know the context of your texts and links betwen related and set texts in the modules that require you to do so eg Area of Study, Module A.

Try to get feedback from your teachers, peers and even here. Have a look at the MArker's notes to see where past students have gone wrong, and ensure that you don't do these mistakes. And since the exams don't always give you questions where your text type is an essay, practise the different types that might be offered, such as a speech, letter, conversation, article etc etc.

Thats all from the top of my mind at the moment.
Yeah I agree with Kujah's tips of refining ur essay and adapting it to many questions. I remember modifying lots of my essays in all the modules so that i can easily relate it to questions in the exam.

lizziegirl

HSC
N/A
MODULE ONE - practice the comprehenion questions. my teacher told me heaps of ppl struggle with this section. brush up on english techniques - learn how to 'read' images and techniques that poets/writers use e.g. similies, metaphors, etc.. get a highlighter/red pen out in the exam and highlight the important bits i.e. techniques. all techniques are used by the author/poet/artist to convey a msg.

for the creative, you dont have time to think of a story on the spot. this is something that you can prepare for, so write and refine your story to take into the exam. then all you need to do is to chop or change the beginning of your story so it fits in with the stimuli thats given:jedi:

ghkddnjstkd

HSC
this is something that you can prepare for, so write and refine your story to take into the exam.

studentcheese

HSC
Take care of your thesis, expression and evidence. Select examples carefully.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)