Telstra vs. Optus ?!?! (1 Viewer)

CrashOveride

HSC
I'm on telstra cable and contemplating move over to optus. For $15 more per month I get my cap boosted from 10 to 20gigs. I have to lock into either a 12 or 24 month contract. So i was thinking, is it worth waiting a while for these new ADSL2+ provierds to come in?

The iinet pricing is OK if you have some other product they were advertising iirc. Otherwise it was pretty crappy.

anita_wax

tehnaz
HSC
CrashOveride said:
I'm on telstra cable and contemplating move over to optus. For $15 more per month I get my cap boosted from 10 to 20gigs. I have to lock into either a 12 or 24 month contract. So i was thinking, is it worth waiting a while for these new ADSL2+ provierds to come in?

The iinet pricing is OK if you have some other product they were advertising iirc. Otherwise it was pretty crappy.
15$??
im 1.5mb 20gig cap, 50$ a month. + if i get capped it goes down to like 60kb/s hahahaha tpg is stupid. telstra & bigpond cap it down to like 15kb/s so it rlly screws u over

Minai

Alumni
HSC
Uni Grad
I've been on Telstra Cable for 4 years and never had a problem, so I guess it's individual experience that counts, hence why I reckon its alright

Might consider adsl2 due to its raw speed.

HamuTarou: how'd you get $49.95 for the 20gig ADSL2+? On the iinet website its $103.31 total monthly cost?

ReaveR

HSC
Probably talking about the 'light' plan which is ten peak/ten offpeak which is $49.95.

Anita I'm sure you'll find that if you get capped with TPG it's to 64kbps, which is like 6kB/s... and your plan doesn't exist anymore.

ADSL2/2+ is distance dependent, so it's highly unlikely that all users can get the theoretical max speed and whatnot. Moreover, there aren't many exchanges for it to be widespread yet.

Don't forget with the Optus cable you'll get 40gig offpeak if you move to the 20gig plan.

CrashOveride

HSC
anita_wax said:
Yeah i'm paying about $65/month for telstra cable with their 10gig limit. The optus unlimited plan is $80/month "standalone" meaning if you don't use something else from them like optus mobile or home phone.

im 1.5mb 20gig cap, 50$ a month. + if i get capped it goes down to like 60kb/s hahahaha tpg is stupid. telstra & bigpond cap it down to like 15kb/s so it rlly screws u over
I got capped last month and ZDNet rated my connection at about 4 times slower than a 28.8K modem, it was horrible.

Don't forget with the Optus cable you'll get 40gig offpeak if you move to the 20gig plan.
Only if you have one of their other services.

Last edited:

j_davo24

HSC
Umm since when do Optus have a 128kbps ADSL plan? The lowest they have ever had AFAIK is 256kbps. I suggest you do some more research and figure out exactly what you're on atm before changing. Especially if they are going to sign you up for a 12month contract.

AntiHyper

Revered Member
HSC
How does optus's offpeak usage works? Is it like another 40gb chunk of internet on top of your 20gb?

We're with telstra's fixed phone service and the "unlimited" (10 gb) plan costs $59. 10 dollars cheaper per month.

anita_wax

tehnaz
HSC
ReaveR said:
Probably talking about the 'light' plan which is ten peak/ten offpeak which is $49.95.

Anita I'm sure you'll find that if you get capped with TPG it's to 64kbps, which is like 6kB/s... and your plan doesn't exist anymore.

ADSL2/2+ is distance dependent, so it's highly unlikely that all users can get the theoretical max speed and whatnot. Moreover, there aren't many exchanges for it to be widespread yet.

nope it still exists. i had 56k for so long, its not like its anything bad. 56k, hell i can still do so much with that :D

ReaveR

HSC
The TPG plan still exists because it's 'Grandfathered' but you can't sign up to it anymore, which is what I meant.

Optus offpeak is just any data thats downloaded between 12am-12pm, so yeah it's another 40gigs on top of the peak 20 (effectively 60gigs).

As for that Optus 128kbps plan, I'm sure its a typo. Perhaps he meant Uncapped/128kbps (similar style to how he wrote the Telstra plan).

Lord Ac

Trust me *wink*
HSC
sorry yes, a few typeos with speed, and telstra prices should be about $3 more expensive...

Thanks for the advice guys, though, lol ... still undecided!

Ac

Minai

Alumni
HSC
Uni Grad
AntiHyper said:
How does optus's offpeak usage works? Is it like another 40gb chunk of internet on top of your 20gb?

We're with telstra's fixed phone service and the "unlimited" (10 gb) plan costs $59. 10 dollars cheaper per month.
Yeah, I'm on Telstra Cable 10gig at $59.95/month

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)