Temperature effect on enzyme activity question. (1 Viewer)

Twickel

HSC
Hi
Im going to perform a prac were I have to test the effect of temp on enzyme activity,
the enzyme is something in the liver and the substrate is Hydrogen Peroxide.

Is this correct, heat a beaker with say 100ml of water to 60 degrees, while heating make sure the testube with the substrate is in the beaker, as soon as the temperature hits 60 degrees place the liver in the substrate.

Do I heat the substrate in water bath, as in place it in a test tube, place the test tube with substrate into the water bath, once the water is at 60 degrees, place the liver in the test tube,

Then get new water, new substrate and repat for different temperature.

Any info will be welcomed. Thanks.

Abbyhatch

HSC
The way we did it was with milk and renin. You have to make sure that the millk or in your case, Hydrogen Peroxide, is at the correct temperature first. Use a water bath. It's really best if you can do them all at the same time. That is, 0-4 degrees, 37 degrees and 60 degrees. Make sure you have a control at each temperature, that is, hydrogen peroxide without liver.
How are you measuring the activity of the enzyme? We put one drop of detergent into each beaker, which then generated foam.

The results you should get, the cold temperature will not react. The enxyme + substrate at 37 degrees will strongly react. And neither at 60 degrees should react. If they do, your temperature probably isn't high enough.

Hope this helped =)

Twickel

HSC
So, your saying I should heat the Hydrogen Peroxide with the water, or heat the water then place the Hydrogen Peroxide in the water ( in a test tube ofcourse)?

HSC
we did this experiment with liver but we did not use it to measure temperature. we used it to mesaure pH instead.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)