ten days left (!?) (1 Viewer)

mikrokosmos

HSC
How is everyone going? I've got to cut down on my words because I thought poetry was 3.5k but it's 3k </3

notme123

HSC
Sorry, I can't help but, excuse me???? 3k words of poetry?? What kind of poem?

jimmysmith560

Le Phénix Trilingue
HSC
Uni Grad
Sorry, I can't help but, excuse me???? 3k words of poetry?? What kind of poem?
I don't think it is limited to only one poem, it can also be a collection thereof (all of which I believe would add up to the 3000 word limit). Here's what NESA says about poetry in English Extension 2:

Students write a suite of poems, a collection of poems or an extended poem that responds to an area of special interest which is an extension of the knowledge and understanding developed in Stage 6 English courses, up to a 3000 word limit. The word limit does not include the Reflection Statement.

mikrokosmos

HSC
yeah i looked at the poetry fact sheet that nesa uploads and it said 3500 but turns out I was wrong HAHAH - all good tho, I just need to cut down

may22

HSC
Can I ask what it's like doing X2 English? I like the idea of the major work (have written a children's novel and a screenplay before), but I wasn't sure how time consuming it would be, especially considering my other subjects.

idkkdi

HSC
Can I ask what it's like doing X2 English? I like the idea of the major work (have written a children's novel and a screenplay before), but I wasn't sure how time consuming it would be, especially considering my other subjects.
Its more than just making a major work. quite a bit of work to do well.
there's a critical study (dunno if that's what its called, you gotta read a lot of stuff and reflect or smth) which is pretty crazy lol.

may22

HSC
Yeah and you can't drop advanced like you would if taking up X2 Math, right?

may22

HSC
And...it's very subjective...

Well, as intriguing as it sounds, I might as well dedicate my time to my other subjects lol

Drdusk

HSC
Uni Grad
tbh i dont think english is as subjective as people think. if you have a banger of a piece in front of you, you will normally be able to notice.
I dunno mate. I've seen many examples including myself where we submitted the same essay for the same question to different teachers and all of them gave it different marks.

may22

HSC
if you have a banger of a piece in front of you, you will normally be able to notice.
I guess so, but at the same time, you don't know what actually appeals to the marker. But then again, the reflection gives the advantage of, you know, justifying the reasons behind the writing and stuff like that

may22

HSC
I dunna mate. I've seen many examples including myself where we submitted the same essay for the same question to different teachers and all of them gave it different marks.
I do that to my teachers so I can get different kinds of feedback 😂

idkkdi

HSC
I dunno mate. I've seen many examples including myself where we submitted the same essay for the same question to different teachers and all of them gave it different marks.
maybe need to be more of a banger?

i'm pretty sure there exists undeniable bangers that get like 18-20 from every teacher lol.

icycledough

HSC
tbh i dont think english is as subjective as people think. if you have a banger of a piece in front of you, you will normally be able to notice.
I agree with what the messages prior to mine have said. If you were to give the same essay to 2 different teachers, they may each value different components of an essay more (introduction, topic sentences, quotes, analysis, etc). If they also mark to a different standard, then you could get an 18 from one teacher and a 14 from another teacher. The marker and what they look at is a big factor in determining what mark you get (obviously not the only determining factor, but ONE of them).

vishnay

God
HSC
I agree with what the messages prior to mine have said. If you were to give the same essay to 2 different teachers, they may each value different components of an essay more (introduction, topic sentences, quotes, analysis, etc). If they also mark to a different standard, then you could get an 18 from one teacher and a 14 from another teacher. The marker and what they look at is a big factor in determining what mark you get (obviously not the only determining factor, but ONE of them).
can screw ur internals over so hard

ik a guy who got 97 ext and 89 int just bc the teachers didnt like his stuff for adv

biggest scam period

u just have to suck up to the teachers and write what they like to see

icycledough

HSC
Oh wow yeah depending on what school you go to, some teachers can be really tough markers. Especially the school I went to (I won't say for privacy reasons), it seemed as if our teachers were reluctant to give 20s and 19s for some reason. But don't worry ... if your friend's results tell you anything, it's that HSC markers generally tend to give higher marks than internal teachers will.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)