[Tennis] Who should be in the Top 10 ranks? (1 Viewer)

HSC
For WTA, the rankings should be as follows:
1. Serena Williams (brute strength)
2. Justine Henin (enough said)
3. Jelena Jankovic (amazing defence)
4. Elena Dementieva (a bit inconsistent, but overall strong)
5. Caroline Wozniacki (fast, but awful on clay)
6. Samantha Stosur (strength, strong second serve)
7. Anna Chakvetadze (her assault and robbery made her too cautious - used to be great...)
8. Venus Williams (tbh, she sucks a lot lately, dunno why she's 2nd)
9. Li Na (good player, just too inconsistent)
10. Maria Sharapova (recovering) /Ana Ivanovic (trying to come back)/Jelena Dokic (if on form, is great to watch...but chosen more for heart)/Alona Bondarenko (only on days when she has good runs)

For ATP,
1. Roger Federer (legend)
2. Rafael Nadal (king of clay, strong, durable)
3. Robin Solderling (great overall player)
4. Nikolay Davydenko (VERY consistent)
5. Juan Martin Del Potro (has his moments on and off)
6. Andy Murry (overrated imo, why did people bet he'd win Aus Open?)
7. Fernando Verdasco (has his moments, but inconsistent)
8. Andy Roddick (serve...obviously...and hilarity with umpires!)
9. Phillip Kohschreiber (if his endurance was better, he would be up here)
10. Janko Tipsarevic (just because of his games v Federer and v Gonzalez)

Agree? Disagree? What're your thoughts? :)

HSC
wot aboot Francesca Schiavone?
No offence to all Schiavone fans, but I don't think she deserved to be in the French Open Finals, let alone win...

I say this, because she got the mother of all cakewalk draws. Here's who she faced en route:

1. Regina Kulikova (Ranked in the late 60s)
2. Sophie Ferguson (Qualifier)
3. Li Na (WAY too inconsistent player, especially on clay)
4. Maria Kirilenko (30th seed, should've faced 6th seed Kuznetsova but got lucky. Kirilenko is far weaker that Kuznetsova, who wouldn't dare let Schaivone reach the net at all)
QF: Caroline Wozniacki (3rd Seed but simply AWFUL on clay. It took her 3 hours just to beat Pennetta)
SF: Elena Dementieva (injured....)

Final: Samantha Stosur (I think she was nervous. She played the worse in the whole of the French Open this year)

Sam's route saw her face:
Justine Henin
Serena Williams
Jelena Jankovic

Dubbed the "toughest" section of the draw, any ONE of these former number ones could've knocked out Schiavone easy.

HSC
fed
murray
djok
nadal
almagro
soderling
del potro
gonzalez
roddick
tsonga/davydenko/berdych

s. williams
henin
clijsters
dementieva
stosur
v.williams
sharapova
kuznetsova
wozniacki
petrova/safina

Scissors

HSC
where does our lleyton hewitt fit into the list?

HSC
For WTA, the rankings should be as follows:
1. Serena Williams (brute strength)
2. Justine Henin (enough said)
3. Jelena Jankovic (amazing defence)
4. Elena Dementieva (a bit inconsistent, but overall strong)
5. Caroline Wozniacki (fast, but awful on clay)
6. Samantha Stosur (strength, strong second serve)
7. Anna Chakvetadze (her assault and robbery made her too cautious - used to be great...)
8. Venus Williams (tbh, she sucks a lot lately, dunno why she's 2nd)
9. Li Na (good player, just too inconsistent)
10. Maria Sharapova (recovering) /Ana Ivanovic (trying to come back)/Jelena Dokic (if on form, is great to watch...but chosen more for heart)/Alona Bondarenko (only on days when she has good runs)

For ATP,
1. Roger Federer (legend)
2. Rafael Nadal (king of clay, strong, durable)
3. Robin Solderling (great overall player)
4. Nikolay Davydenko (VERY consistent)
5. Juan Martin Del Potro (has his moments on and off)
6. Andy Murry (overrated imo, why did people bet he'd win Aus Open?)
7. Fernando Verdasco (has his moments, but inconsistent)
8. Andy Roddick (serve...obviously...and hilarity with umpires!)
9. Phillip Kohschreiber (if his endurance was better, he would be up here)
10. Janko Tipsarevic (just because of his games v Federer and v Gonzalez)

Agree? Disagree? What're your thoughts? :)
i'm glad you still rmb chakvetadze (was very good, former world #5 but now she's languishing at 100+)

student6625

HSC
Mens:

1. Federer
2. Nadal
3. Djokovic
4. Soderling
5. Davydenko
6. Murray
7. Berdych
8. Roddick
9. Cilic
10. Del Potro

Womens:
1. S. Williams
2. Dementieva
3. Henin
4. Azarenka
5. Chakvetadze
6. Clijsters
7. Jankovic
8. Kirilenko
9. Wozniacki
10. V.Williams

Kralex

HSC
where does our lleyton hewitt fit into the list?
Probably around 25-30?

He isn't a shit player by any means and gets to the later rounds of every tournament easily. He just doesn't hold a candle to most of the top 10 these days.

He's easily a top 20 player but can't improve his rank because he's usually knocked out before he can make a big impact by one of the big boys.

HSC
Probably around 25-30?

He isn't a shit player by any means and gets to the later rounds of every tournament easily. He just doesn't hold a candle to most of the top 10 these days.

He's easily a top 20 player but can't improve his rank because he's usually knocked out before he can make a big impact by one of the big boys.
I'm glad Stosur's making an impact on Tennis now - Hewitt makes me ashamed of being Australian. He is a complete asshole on court (worse than Roddick) and drops the f bomb countless numbers of times when KIDS are in the stands! I mean come on! (Yes, pun intended :p) Also, I think he's suitable as late 20s, low 30s - his abilities are just not good enough anymore.

Btw, I'm feeling bad for Wozniacki....she'll never be World No. 1 now. She was so close with her # 2 ranking, and if she had a better clay season she could've been #1. Now with Henin and Clijisters back and Hingis (soon), and Serena still there, she's just going to fall short of being ranked #1. I also dunno HOW she's going to defend her points for the U.S. Open....

I've also been feeling bad for Dementieva and Jankovic - they haven't won a grand slam yet...and someone like Schiavone has...

student6625

HSC
I'm glad that Stosur's finally become a top player. Initially I thought she wasn't a very good player and would always remain in the 20-30s ranks until she retired. Her semifinal at the French Open last year I thought was a fluke but her performance towards the end of last year and this year up till now shows she really is a strong contender. I'm starting to feel a lot of respect for her.

I'm also disappointed that Dementieva, Jankovic and Wozniacki have never won any Grand Slams yet. I suppose Wozniacki is still young but...I really hope Dementieva does win one before she retires or else it would be injustice. Jankovic doesn't look at impressive a player to me but somehow she always seems to be achieving when she's in form.

Schiavone...what the? I guess everything's always fair now that I think about it. Although players like Dementieva and Jankovic haven't won a title yet they always seem to be consistently achieving fine results, consistently semifinals and quarterfinals etc. For someone like Schiavone whose only been into the QF (and on very rare occasions), winning the French Open at such a ripe age with many youngsters is truly remarkable and I think she does sort of deserve it after all those years of hard work.

I think Azarenka's going to be the next world No. 1. She's always seemed really strong a player to me and is generally consistent with powerful groundstrokes. I still remember the time where she nearly trumped Serena Williams in the Australian Open QF this year. Kirilenko's pretty good too, definitely a top 10 player someday.

Speaking of Hewitt, he's a good player and all but I doubt he'll get very far. He has to beat someone in the top 10 in a major comp in order to lift his rankings but like Kralex mentioned, the best players will beat him easily before he even gets a chance to progress any further.

BTW, does anyone know what happened to Chakvetadze? She's so bad now it's not funny.

HSC
I'm glad that Stosur's finally become a top player. Initially I thought she wasn't a very good player and would always remain in the 20-30s ranks until she retired. Her semifinal at the French Open last year I thought was a fluke but her performance towards the end of last year and this year up till now shows she really is a strong contender. I'm starting to feel a lot of respect for her.
Same. I thought she did not deserve her #13 rank, and also thought she fluked it, until Clay Court season this year :) Now, I'm rooting for her.

I'm also disappointed that Dementieva, Jankovic and Wozniacki have never won any Grand Slams yet. I suppose Wozniacki is still young but...I really hope Dementieva does win one before she retires or else it would be injustice. Jankovic doesn't look at impressive a player to me but somehow she always seems to be achieving when she's in form.
I hope Dementieva wins one too. She could've won the French Open this year if it wasn't for the injury in the semis...

Schiavone...what the? I guess everything's always fair now that I think about it. Although players like Dementieva and Jankovic haven't won a title yet they always seem to be consistently achieving fine results, consistently semifinals and quarterfinals etc. For someone like Schiavone whose only been into the QF (and on very rare occasions), winning the French Open at such a ripe age with many youngsters is truly remarkable and I think she does sort of deserve it after all those years of hard work.
I disagree, I think that there were several other players better than she was, who either got stuck in the top "hell" draw, or were nervous e.g. Li Na (as usual). Her hardest match up was arguably either Na or Kirilenko (that's not saying much), as Wozniacki has just been dismal on clay.

I think Azarenka's going to be the next world No. 1. She's always seemed really strong a player to me and is generally consistent with powerful groundstrokes. I still remember the time where she nearly trumped Serena Williams in the Australian Open QF this year. Kirilenko's pretty good too, definitely a top 10 player someday.
I dislike Azarenka, as she's so full of herself, although that doesn't make her a bad tennis player, although after her injury, she's been playing TERRIBLE.

I hope Ivanovic climbs back up that ladder, or Dokic as well. It would just be the greatest tennis story ever. Imo: this would be the BEST QF of a Grand Slam that I would watch.

Top Half:
Jelena Dokic v Anna Chakvetadze
Alona Bondarenko v ?????

Bottom Half
Ana Ivanovic v Jelena Jankovic
Martina Hingis v Elena Dementieva

SF would be:
Jelena Dokic v Alona Bondarenko
Ana Ivanovic v Martina Hingis

Finals:
Dokic v Hingis

And Dokic for the win. If I can watch that happen again, I'll be over the moon :)

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)