Terry Lee Square Root (1 Viewer)

D3spair

HSC
Could anyone explain to me the 'Terry Lee' method used as shortcut to find square roots of a complex number?

vinlatte

HSC
Found an explanation from an old thread: https://boredofstudies.org/threads/finding-square-roots-of-complex-numbers.96976/
Okay, i understand it quite well now. It makes alot of sense. :D

I'll do your example, -3+4i :

I don't know about you but you should be able to write down the two equations straight off, using -3+4i = a2-b2+2abi and equating the Re and Im parts to obtain:

a2-b2=-3
2ab=4

Now the first thing we do is check that the b in the complex number is even because this will correspond to the 2ab when we take out the two from the even number. So in this example b=4, so we write 2x2, which corresponds to 2ab and then if you cancel the two from both you get ab=2, so we find two numbers that multiply to give 2 (a and b), as well as the difference between their squares equals -3. Now we mentally work out that 12-22=-3 and the order here is important because if it was the other around we would get 3. equating the numbers in 12-22=-3 and a2-b2=-3, it should be obvious that a=1, and b=2. Therefore your answer is a+bi => 1+2i.
But it is a square root so we need to take the positive and negative of it, so the final answer is +(1+2i).
This can actually be all done in your head, so some working might allow us to use this in an exam or assessment. You could write:

sqrt(-3+4i) = sqrt(12-22+2x1x2xi)

We write the RHS like that because from:

(a+ib)2=a2-b2+2abi

We take the square root of both sides to obtain:

a+ib= +sqrt(a2-b2+2abi)

Notice how the 1's and 2's correspond to the a's and b's in the RHS, ie a2-b2+2xaxbxi.

One more thing. To find square roots of purely imaginary numbers such as 24i, we write it with the real part too, ie 0+24i and so a2-b2=0 and 2ab=24 and use the above procedure to work out the square root.

If you have any more questions, feel free to ask :)

Trebla

Administrator
Administrator
HSC
It’s nothing more than just mentally guessing the solutions to two simulataneous equations lol

Drdusk

HSC
Uni Grad
It’s nothing more than just mentally guessing the solutions to two simulataneous equations lol
Yeah exactly? I always used that but I never even knew it was something so ‘special’.. or that it even had a special name lol

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)