Test sitting Tips Help please. (1 Viewer)

john1464

HSC
Okay so in the last test I basically was doing well until one question which used up 1/4 of my time and I didn't even get it right and from then on the pressure of time caused the consecutive marks to suffer. I also tend to rush test due to a fear of not finishing. So what can I do to manage my time effectively and how much time should I allocate per mark?

integral95

HSC
Okay so in the last test I basically was doing well until one question which used up 1/4 of my time and I didn't even get it right and from then on the pressure of time caused the consecutive marks to suffer. I also tend to rush test due to a fear of not finishing. So what can I do to manage my time effectively and how much time should I allocate per mark?
If you ever encounter a tough question and you feel that it would potentially burn your time (e.g you were like" woah wth is this??") best to just leave it and attempt ALL the other questions that you're comfortable with before returning to that question (and the others that you had trouble with initially).

john1464

HSC
If you ever encounter a tough question and you feel that it would potentially burn your time (e.g you were like" woah wth is this??") best to just leave it and attempt ALL the other questions that you're comfortable with before returning to that question (and the others that you had trouble with initially).
Thanks but how much time should I allocate per mark in a 2 hour test?

john1464

HSC
Lol i know you weren't serious if you were that would mean i would be aiming to finish a 2 hour test in like 10 minutes ahah.

Ambility

HSC
HAHAHA..just the way you responded i was worried for a minute.....

And yeh, I have the same issue about finishing tests but only in MATHS....I have only finished 1 Math test since year 10... And that was my year 11 3 unit yearly exam....
Even though I haven't been finishing though I still averaged %90 in 2 unit yr 11 and %80 in 3 unit last year.

For any subject I suggest you just do questions and questions at home and force yourself to do it in less time period than you would have in exams...like if you find a random past exam and it says 55 minutes....try do it in 45 minutes
Yeah, through experimentation with past papers, I find that tests actually take me about 5%-10% less time to do it at home than it would take me to do it at school.

Ambility

HSC
This. My studying is not driven by good marks, because I know that my marks in the preliminary course will be worth absolutely nothing for the rest of my life. My studying is driven by bad marks because I know the lessons I learn from the mistakes I make in the way I study are far more valuable than the lessons I learn in class. I believe this will be the way to achieve higher marks in the HSC.

Of course, it is also nice to see a good mark from an assignment / test. Thanks for the advice.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)