Testing for Websites (1 Viewer)

jirwin

HSC
Hi, i am designing and constructing an entire website for my MDP. I am finding it hard to do some of the major folio work. in particular the evidence of testing design solutions. i have no idea what tests to carry out for my website. i plan on getting a lot of people to test my website when it is completed but i think i need tests throughout the process... any suggestions?

thanks in advance

MrMe

Your Bestest Best Friend
HSC
jirwin said:
Hi, i am designing and constructing an entire website for my MDP. I am finding it hard to do some of the major folio work. in particular the evidence of testing design solutions. i have no idea what tests to carry out for my website. i plan on getting a lot of people to test my website when it is completed but i think i need tests throughout the process... any suggestions?

thanks in advance
Hi,

I do a bit of webdesign myself and it really depends on the type/content of your website. If it is aimed at children, get a lot of children to test it, if its everyone make sure you get a variety of age groups and ask questions about how easy things are to find, graphics etc etc.

One very important thing to test is the way it displays on different screens, computers, browsers and internet connections. So check all different types! I'm talking Mac's, PC's, wide screens, super wide screens, small screens, maybe even pocket pcs, IE (including old and new versions), Firefox, Opera, Safari, dialup, broadband etc etc.... By testing all of those you can comprehensively say that it works!

There are also sites out there that allow you to do load time tests, and link tests etc. Do as many as possible! and do it throughout your MDP and when you find something that isn't so good.... you fix it... retest it and say this is what i did and here is why i did it.

Hope that gives you some ideas.

Rhys.D

Geek
HSC
I am also a web programmer I usually deal with PHP, MySQL and Javascript but im decent enough with interface stuff.

For testing design solutions KEEP CODE. When designing a website the code is your materials, just as someone working with wood will do a few joining methods and keep them so you should keep any code which varies in the method of achieving an aim.

Not to mention you could get pages and pages of documentation out of code ;)

Now as for tests I deal more with PHP so when I design and test solutions to problems (a problem is anything that needs something designed to do/fix) Im normally testing the speed it generates so page load times, and if its interacting with MySQL how many queries it uses.

If you want ideas more specific to you feel free to email me rhysige@gmail.com with any questions, I am more than happy to help you out with some ideas once I know what you are using/doing.

Last edited:

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)