text 2 - the ivory trail (1 Viewer)

beautiful bethy

HSC
has any1 else considered this text?
we didn't really do anything on the stimulus booklet in class and i was wonderin how u are ment to analyse and draw conclusive things from a pic.

I'm doing physical journeys but i am unsure if this relates :confused:

Plz, anyone help!!!!

marchetta

shut up and do me
HSC
the name of the book, 'the ivory trail' is placed in the centre of the cover. 'trail' suggests journey. it means a route, path or a road which you take to get somewhere.

'not all journeys have an ending' - there is an assumption that all journeys have an ending and the reader is challenged why this one might not.

beautiful bethy

HSC
thanx.
So that means that its about the placing of the text and the assumptions it gives about the book.
Does it have anything to do with the jourey of your eyes arround the page, as in the heading catckes your eyes, then following the view of the eyes on the page to see what they're looking at ect?

hopeles5ly

Take Me Higher.
HSC
N/A
i wrote something like this.

The human figure in the foreground is a western male who is foreign to the land presented in the text. in conjunction with the sphinx and pyramid on the right, perhaps the author is illustrating that the protagonist is embarking on a journey into the unknown in search for "ivory". the use of color depicts the sorts of emotions that he is feeling. Black and purple portrays a sense of eeriness, but also puts emphasis on the mysteries of this journey. While red illustrates the frustrations and anxiety which can be associated with the different obstacles that he is faced with. The religious symbol in the top left hand side then implies that as a result of undertaking this journey it has resulted in some sort of personal growth and enlightenment in the individual. thus the byline of "the journey has no ending" coonotes that growth is a continuous process that one will keep acquiring by constantly undergoing this process of journey and by responding to the various obstacles and challenges that lie ahead of them.

and if you look at how the bookcover structured, it does illustrate this journey that i have talked about. but this is just my interreptation

Last edited:

hopeles5ly

Take Me Higher.
HSC
N/A
beautiful bethy said:
Ta thanks for that.
its a load of help.... i wasn't sure if how i was thinking about it was right, but that has helped enormously! thanx again!
hehe its ok =] just remember that in english you can interpret a text anyway you want ! you just have to back it up with evidence and show how the composer has achieved it.

Dr_Doom

HSC
hopeles5ly said:
hehe its ok =] just remember that in english you can interpret a text anyway you want ! you just have to back it up with evidence and show how the composer has achieved it.
Fantastic! So I could say that the story is based in India because it has those Indian pillar things in the background...

Or not..?

hopeles5ly

Take Me Higher.
HSC
N/A
Dr_Doom said:
Fantastic! So I could say that the story is based in India because it has those Indian pillar things in the background...

Or not..?
i think its set in egypt because of the sand, the pyramid and sphinx. thus you could say that his undertaking a physical journey across different countries which is suggested from how the the religious building is put in the far background and how it is in a different context in regards to the other images portrayed in the cover.

Mountain.Dew

Magician, and Lawyer.
HSC
it is also worth nothing the font type of the written text, the use of COLOUR to contrast and create atmosphere, and the orientation and placement of images.

chooky_girl26

Lyshiez
HSC
Uni Grad
look at the font... the font size and colour as well as font positioning on the page
look at the colours... look at the shadowing of the images.
the positions of the images... camera angles used and size and colours of images
look at the pattern of the sand
lighting of images... look where the sun is coming of going from
the words at the top about journeys.... look at the grammer of the line... what is it missing what does this reinforce?
look at the framing of the images
how does this convey journey??
what are the places in the images?
what does the sand represent?
what does the size of the font indicate?

or get the macquarie or the other guide (which isn't excel)

Dr_Doom

HSC
I decided I'm not going to do this anymore. I'll just stick to the road not taken and wind in the willows :p

hopeles5ly

Take Me Higher.
HSC
N/A
Dr_Doom said:
I decided I'm not going to do this anymore. I'll just stick to the road not taken and wind in the willows :p
why not? i reckon ivory trail is the easiest one to write about!

Dr_Doom

HSC
Nah the problem is there's nothing to write about. All you can write about is the picture and what journey it 'could' be. It's easier if you do a poem or short story. Trust me ;) more marks ;)

Jessica_00

HSC
N/A
It suggests that journey of an adolescent boy into adulthood, having to journey through time and continents.

Aimz- Lou.

The composer has implied that the journey will be continuous "Not all journeys have an ending." This is also suggested through the fact that the sweeping sands don't actually end, they merge into the boy's face. this may also imply an emotional or psychological transformation as a result of the physical journey.
The idea of a journey across different cultures and religious backgrounds suggests emotional and intellectual change, and that the traveller will return changed. (this journey in different cultures etc is suggested by the foreign pictures representing Egypt, while the boy is clearly Western.)
There is also the implication that a journey can be a mechanism by which barriers of culture and religion can be broken down. if you are studying Skryznecki, this could be a good angle to take in linking your materials.

Anyway. I hope that helps at least slightly.

alexxxx

HSC
Jessica_00 said:
It suggests that journey of an adolescent boy into adulthood, having to journey through time and continents.
why would the "adolescent boy" have to make the transition into adulthood by journeying across continents? i think maybe thats assuming more than the text is offering. It neednt be so profound, indeed that may be a possibility but what evidnece from "the Ivory Trail" are you drawing from?

White-Doggy

HSC
Also thort this might be useful for people analysing the front cover.

The visual element of the "Eyes" are especially used to portray that the journey also includes mental/ imaginative journey. Through experiencing the journey around the countries (egypt/ india) , the character with the eyes learns to see things from a different perspectives and broadens his understanding.

White-Doggy

HSC
alexxxx said:
why would the "adolescent boy" have to make the transition into adulthood by journeying across continents? i think maybe thats assuming more than the text is offering. It neednt be so profound, indeed that may be a possibility but what evidnece from "the Ivory Trail" are you drawing from?

Experiences lead to growth and development whether it may be personal identity, social/ cultural identity. Also that the character journeying through those countries is a 'rites of passage' and helps him to discover himself and learn basically.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)