Text Book Help! (1 Viewer)

zhongie

HSC
I enrolled today, but how do I know what textbooks I need for the units I'm doing, because nobody told me...help..?

company_sin

HSC
The handbooks (or wherever you chose subjects from) usually have the rquired texts listed.

Try the handbook's on the Usyd website.

peace,

Sarah168

London Calling
HSC
From searching BoS, it seems that we shouldnt join the mad dash for books just yet cos its a waste of money if u end up using 3 pages from it...

shelley

trouble maker
HSC
Ok simple u can access you text book list from sydney uni by lookin at the co op website (ill post the address later, doesnt matter cos there not up yet.

Simple you dont buy your textbooks till afetr your first lecture cos the lecturer will tell you whats needed. No reason to dash out because most of the time you wont need anything. Log into my uni and you can access student notes online (ill post up the link later) and order your course readers when they coem avalible (normally oweek) if you do it online youll save HOURS AND HOURS of waiting online. These are normally (unless u do science ro law) the only things youll need. Unless you do a launguage in which case go buy the oxford dictionary or collins dictionary of that language.

but yeah no use in spending money that isnt needed, co op is a buissness...also try finding someone here thats already doen courses in your degree and see if there willing to sell you their books and stuff....means its much cheaper for you and if you nice they might give their notes aswell

tomorrows_angel

tomorrow is too soon...
HSC
Yeah it said that we'd be given a text book list at enrolment, but we didn't. So i called the uni helpline and they said not to buy anything just yet, wait till after first lectures cos then the lecturers will tell us what we need. Though the person i spoke to on the helpline didn't really seem to know what they were talking about.
Do the text books really get used that much? Cos i know someone who hasn't bought any textbooks since 1st year, she just uses the reading material. Is this a really bad idea? Oh, and how soon after the first lecture will they start using them? How soon must we get them?

Halo

HSC
N/A
The required textbooks will be clear to you after your first lectures. The lecturers will either tell you, and/or state it in the course outline that will be distributed to you.

If you want to purchase the textbooks early, bear in mind that the required textbooks may change as the lecturers sees fit.

Whether the prescribed textbook is necessary is up to you. Different lecturers rely on the prescribed textbook to different extents. Most of the time however, tutorial questions are set from the textbook. I tend to rely on the textbook readings rather than lecture notes.

There is no haste to purchase textbooks: assessments do not come until some weeks into the semester. However, if you like to keep up-to-date with the unit then you might want the textbook by the first tutorial (usually second week).

You might also want to consider alternatives to first-hand purchasing: second-hand, sharing with associates, library copies, photocopying the required sections of the textbook...

shelley

trouble maker
HSC
Really does depend on your course, in english i always needed my textbook it just wasnt functional not to have it, teh other it was never needed, just the course readers, talk to your lecturers they do give you a fair assessment

Sarah168

London Calling
HSC
it seems like the notes from the uni copy centre are ESSENTIAL. is this correct?

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)