independantz

HSC
Hey guys,

Currently I'm enrolled in :

MATH1141
PHYS1131
COMP1911
ENGG1000

Does anyone know where I can buy the text books for these courses?
Do past first years sell them for cheaper prices? As I heard they can be quite expensive.

Thank you,

Omie Jay

gone
HSC
Hey guys,

MATH1141
PHYS1131
COMP1911
ENGG1000

Do past first years sell them for cheaper prices? As I heard they can be quite expensive.

Thank you,
My exact subjects for semester 1 last year, but i did math1131 and phys1121.
Math textbook isnt really needed, i still dont have it. Engg1000, once ur in your group for the main project then u can probably get 1 txtbook for the group. Just a suggestion..

Phys comes in handy for online quizzes (some questions taken directly from txtbk), but is quite costly (and gi-normous), and the comp one is small and cheaper than usual. Try looking at the second hand book store, or pm me if u wanna buy my comp1911 off me for a bit cheaper than what they offer.

darkwolfzx

HSC
N/A
I think I still have my physics textbook from last year loitering around my bookshelves. Serway and Jewett 7th edition with acompanying student solutions (2 paperback books and main hardback together). Its barely touched.

Physics textbook might be handy for you. My friend bought the calculus math textbook and found it useless. You can find copies in the library sometimes (depends if others borrowed it before you).

PM me if you're interested.

erm

HSC
I think I still have my physics textbook from last year loitering around my bookshelves. Serway and Jewett 7th edition with acompanying student solutions (2 paperback books and main hardback together). Its barely touched.

Physics textbook might be handy for you. My friend bought the calculus math textbook and found it useless. You can find copies in the library sometimes (depends if others borrowed it before you).

PM me if you're interested.
I'm getting the impression that the physics textbook(s) isn't really useful/needed...why is this?

darkwolfzx

HSC
N/A
most textbooks turn out to be useless as far as I've come across them. Most of the information you need to pass the course comes from the lectures. Textbooks are more like reference materials to me, like dictionaries for looking up specific stuff.

tunghungvuong

HSC
Hey guys,

MATH1141
PHYS1131
COMP1911
ENGG1000

Thank you,
Hi,
I've enrolled in the same subjects as you (except for COMP, i chose COMP1811)
I 'm looking for these books, too. And i think it is available somewhere in UNSW,
If you don't mind, we can come and "search" these textbooks together. Email me if you're interested. My email address is : hungvuongtung@yahoo.com
Thank you.

darkwolfzx

HSC
N/A
second hand bookshop can also be found near the roundhouse

nimrod_dookie

Tryhard Geek
HSC
I suggest you wait for the prelim lectures or even the first week or two of proper lectures. Despite what many lecturers will say, many textbooks are useless and even if they say it's good for question sets, I've noticed many will just photocopy the relevant questions out of the books. Course readers and lecture notes are infinitely more useful than any textbook. Plus if you are a conscientious student, you will be more than willing to look for online materials. If you have attended lectures and read the lecture notes and gain a decent understanding from those, you will be able to determine which online resources are decent. Many lecturers also post URL's for good online resources. Out of the 14 textbooks I've purchased during my 2 years at uni, I've found 4 to be continously useful throughout the course and that's me being pedantic regarding maintaining a distinction average.

erm

HSC
I suggest you wait for the prelim lectures or even the first week or two of proper lectures. Despite what many lecturers will say, many textbooks are useless and even if they say it's good for question sets, I've noticed many will just photocopy the relevant questions out of the books. Course readers and lecture notes are infinitely more useful than any textbook. Plus if you are a conscientious student, you will be more than willing to look for online materials. If you have attended lectures and read the lecture notes and gain a decent understanding from those, you will be able to determine which online resources are decent. Many lecturers also post URL's for good online resources. Out of the 14 textbooks I've purchased during my 2 years at uni, I've found 4 to be continously useful throughout the course and that's me being pedantic regarding maintaining a distinction average.
Hey thanks!

Just curious: what's a "course reader"?

nimrod_dookie

Tryhard Geek
HSC
A course reader is usually a bound set of photocopied resources (general course notes, articles or examples) which you can purchase from your uni's copy store and it gives you an idea of your courses backbone.

darkwolfzx

HSC
N/A
this.

I intend to wait around until I figure out whats necessary

Dt 08

HSC
hmmz did first year engo students get anything for ENGG1000 (the design one i think)?

its all recomended stuff and looks like a big waste of money

Omie Jay

gone
HSC
Theres this engineering design/innovation textbook, get ur project group to buy 1 to share between the group, no need to spend heaps of money that way, its not used much, but in the weekly submissions it does come in handy, when u gotta write up design matrixes and stuff.

1 book to share with the group is adequate.

Dt 08

HSC
ah so is engineering design/innovation all groupwork?

also how do people rate the use of course notes as the only resource in maths and physics? do they go through how formulae are derived, walkthroguh examples, etc.?

darkwolfzx

HSC
N/A
last time i sat a math test in a tute my friend brought his engg1000 project: an electric motor

anyway the course notes and lecture notes are sufficient to get through the course. The course notes for math contain brief examples and explanations of the theory taught, as well as a large number of practice questions (with unworked solutions) after each chapter. The course notes also contains an exam pack of past exam papers, with worked solutions.

The $55 is really worth the cost.

Omie Jay

gone
HSC
ENGG1000 is probably 75% group work, there are weekly (or every-second-weekly) individual submissions that are needed to be submitted, but the rest is group stuff.

Course notes for math are very good, very in depth, plus you'll be taking down notes during lectures as well, so its all good. How formulae are derived are not necessary to learn, however they are mostly given in course notes (or ask a tutor/lecturer if u want em).
Question walkthrough are very well done, but ur tutor will walk through a bunch of questions during tutorials anyway, so dont skip any tutes.

Course notes for physix are... i cant remember. Not bad, i printed off the online notes, and i managed a pass. Maybe someone else can answer that for u :)

Dt 08

HSC
ah k thanks for the info guys

no ned to spend mny for $150 textbooks it seems =D

erm

HSC
So the math calculus text is not worth it? I'll probably get the physics one though due to the recommendations by some BoS users.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)