Text Types? (1 Viewer)

lilainjel

Rambler
HSC
Does anyone know websites or textbooks that have something about the different text types and how you write them? I'm kind of confused with some of them >.< Like for emails, are they plain form or polite?

chrasy

HSC
For emails, I'm guessing it depends on who you're emailing, just as it would be if you were talking to someone in person. I mean, if you're emailing a friend or a family member, I'm sure plain form would be fine. But if you're emailing someone new, or someone like a teacher, then you would use polite form.

dizzyizzy

snubble
HSC
This isn't totally relevant, but this website is always useful for me.
http://hsc.csu.edu.au/japanese/beginners/approach/written/3490/written_writing.htm

I can't think of anything much else- don't mix polite and plain (o-tegami, doumo. fail)
Like in english, I think it's just convention to thank them for the letter, e-mail etc, and to ask 'o-genki desu ka' etc.
Include the date, and 'xxx-san he', 'xxx yori' at the beginning and end.

I don't know about continuers, but that's all we've learnt so far for beginners. Hope it helps.

rel91

HSC
chrasy, you are right about the email thing....
if you are emailing a close friend or direct family member, then plain form is fine, HOWEVER if you are emailing someone like a host mother or father, then use desu/masu form :)
and also, our teacher said to be VERY careful when you use plain form....coz we are so used to writing in polite, it is very easy to accidently slip in a polite verb....so make sure you read it VERY carefully afterwards if you use plain form.....
hope that helps :p

James747

HSC
Just in case you're wondering, the hsc does not require you to specifically write in plain or polite form (at least for beginners). Its just that plain form will save u alot more squares and allow to you write more... but again, it'll have to suit the purpose, you're not gonna write a job enquiry in plain form.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)